2002 Ford Taurus Evap Code...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this morning pulling into work the CEL comes on.
I drive over to an Auto Zone during lunch and there is one code. The small Evap code.

I already replaced the gas cap. I had one with me as I typically use the locking gas cap, although I don't lock it since I moved out of a bad part of town. So I went back to the OEM gas cap I had in my toolbox in the trunk.
I drove back to work and the code is still on, I think I need to disconnect the battery to see if that will reset it.

However, I think I may have a larger problem. I have been smelling fuel around my car after shut down. I have not noticed a drop in gas mileage. That being said, I haven't been able to locate the source of the smell, but it has been going on for a few months. I figured that it was because it is coming up on being 10 years old and has 172,000 miles. A little bit of fuel can make a big stink.
However I could have a small leak coming from any of the lines or the evap system.

Anyone troubleshoot a similar issue like this on a 2002 Taurus?

Best bet is to smoke test the system for leaks if the code is still present.

Going just off codes is a really bad way of diagnosing a vehicle. Did Autozone at least give you the code number instead of just "evap code"?

No

But one time I left my 98 Taurus gas cap loose and the CEL came on. When I tightened it up it later went out. If you root around you might find it. Might look under the car in case road debris had knocked something loose on a rubber hose.

From the receipt they gave me.

Code # P0442
small leak/no flow condition

Probable cause:
Defective or loose fuel cap.
Evap canister or hose cracked-not connected
purge or vent solenoid defective
vacuum leak at engine

Guess I have to get under my car in this 100+ degree heat sometime soon.

If your code 0442 was caused by the fuel cap it will take 3 or 4 drive cycles to reset the MIL. Disconnecting the battery will do nothing for you, it would 1996 and older but not newer.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
On your Maxima, did you have the strange fuel smell that seemed to linger after shut down?

There was really no noticeable smell at all honestly.
I just did some reading and its a common problem. So I replaced the part and the CEL never came back on
smile.gif

Check your fuel filler neck. Is it rotting away? MANY of them do and will cause a evap code. Also, check the seal on the fuel filler neck where the cap seal sits. I have seen fuel filler necks crack right at the top and cause leaks as well.

If you smell gas it could very well be that it's a hose that is open to the atmosphere. I would trace the evap hoses real carefully to see if I could identify the problem.

Yep, that is what I'm worried about.
Fuel hoses rotting out.
What a headache that could be.

Anyways, perhaps I will have time tomorrow evening to take a look at it.

I'll keep you guys informed.

I have a 98 Taurus that seems to do pretty well for me. But I have done some things to it over the years. Brakes 2 x, radiator, Decided to replace all the struts last year. That seemed to help raise the ride height a little with better spring rate on the Monroe struts. Stock springs suck, they seem worn out after about 3 years......especially the rear springs.

Other than that just normal maintenance stuff. 140K and still going strong. Parts are pretty cheap, and that's one of the main reasons I bought it.

Yes let us know how things go. Super Dave I used to love that show.
crackmeup2.gif

Well, I just got out from underneath the Taurus.

Looks like the hoses to and from the EVAP canister are rotting off the car. They would literally crumble a little when I rolled them between my fingers and my hands are now covered in hard black rubber scab that covers the exterior of the rotting hoses.

I'm glad that I replaced my fuel filter not too long ago. I'm only curious as to what the inside of the hoses look like.

Well, I am off to Auto Zone to price the hoses. Going to look at bulk and the ones that are already cut to shape, if they have them.
Looks like it is all held together with your standard hose clamps.

Disgusting down there. I'm not normally under the rear part of a car.

The good thing is that I now know what the problem is and I have the parts that I need replaced in hand.

The bad thing is that none of the generic parts stores in the area carry what I need.

I need about 6' of 5/8" emission hose. Nobody carries anything but heater hose.

Time to do some looking online.

Try a marina/boat supply store. Fuel hose will do. They have the wacky sizes.

Found the part I needed on Rock Auto.
I called around and the hose places I was directed to from other parts stores could order me hose... on a 50 foot roll.
The Dealership I called had it for a little over 2x the price Rock Auto had it for.

The hose that is dissolving looks nothing like the diagrams that I can find of the part I need. I think that someone, I did get this car used, 8 years ago replaced the evap hose with heater hose.
That would explain why the hose leading to the tank is so much worse off than the hose leading back to the gas cap.

I will keep you guys informed as to how all this plays out. I still intend on placing some hose clamps on the hose I will keep as the barbed connections on the hose are a little loose for my liking and a snug clamp should help a bit.

New development.
The part from Rock auto was the correct shape and length. It had alligator clips and bends in all the right places. However, it is 3/8" diameter...and I need something closer to 5/8" diameter to have it fit over the existing attachments.

I got tired of it sitting, so I have put it back together with hose clamps and heater hose for the time being. I figure that will last for a bit while I find the right part.

So any ideas where I can find 5/8" fuel line or Emission line?
Also, anyone know of any exploded diagrams I could take a look at for a 2002 Taurus with the SOHC Pushrod Vulcan V6 so that I can look up the part number?

I do need to start calling around to Boat places and perhaps stop by a Stealership. I don't want to pay $80 for the part. But when they got you buy your junk your heart and mind will follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back