Chrysler 2.7L Water Pump gasket, or headgasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, well, i got a chance to change out the oil, all 3 gallons of it, and also drained out most of the coolant, put in new oil, and started it up.. sounded amazing? not one abnormal noise, not a tick, or slap of the timing chain, no valve or lifter tick no smoke or smell out exhaust, whats going on here?

The PO said water was getting in to the oil, and thats all they know..
I took it out for a couple mile ride, the temp came right to normal, it shifted great, good power for a car of this size, handled even better. got back to my house, and after i shut it off, i opened the oil cap, and you can hear water under pressure slowly being pushed in to the engine, but stops after a couple of mins.. Also some clear water but no milkshake moisture was on the underside of the cap, even after it was turned off, and wiped dry, and put the cap back on, i checked it again, and more water moisture.. this is with the car off..

But like i said before no smell or smoke out exhaust... Is this a classic 2.7L waterpump GASKET failure? If it is headgasket failure, it was nothing like when the cougar 3.8L blew its HG, it made it near impossible to start cold because all the coolant soaked the plugs.. Im talking about 5 straight mins of trying to get it going.. after it blew out sparkplugs.. and had water and steam blowing out the muffler...

Am i looking at just a waterpump and gasket? the timing chain was quite, i mean, QUITE, not a tick, even after sitting for 10 months, with gallons of coolant mixed. First start sounded BETTER then my 3.3L that i use everyday.. I am hopeful that because of the 40+ DOCUMENTED oil changes every 3.200miles/ 3-4 months on AVG, (they went max of 3800 miles once) that this engine has no issues, besides this gasket that broke down, and it letting coolant drain in to the engine oil after it heats up, and gets under pressure..

This car is a 2001, It has every paper, including the VHS Tape still in the wrap, window sticker that says this car was built for FLEET(yes it was a rental for the first 25K miles of it life..) all owners manuals, receipts for everything from a QT of oil to full brake rebuilds.. It is a first car i have bought with all documents, and a engine problem lol.

PS no check engine light..

What do you think!? I am taking on to many projects..

Spend some time googling 2.7 engine water pump (leaks, weep hole, etc.) and you will learn that the early pumps ('98 on?) were an inferior design and that there are 10's of thousands of stories about ruined engines under 100K. No help from Chrysler, unless maybe it was still under warranty.

Chrysler has a new heavy duty water pump to replace it, but it requires you also to replace the whole timing chain set up for everything to fit (new pump won't fit with old chain, gears, etc.).

You better be aware of all the tiny details (i.e.- timing chain tensioner setting) if you decide to tackle this POS engine.

One problem with the old design is that even in spite of a weep hole, a bad water pump shaft seal will allow water into the crankcase....so seez all the internet gossip.

You are either a very experience mechanic to take on this job, or just nuts. Again, read all the horror stories about this engine. I learned on my daughter's 2.7L.

if you have a coolant leek try kerosene. cause if it leeks into the oil it wont do to much damage. then when the oil level gets to high just change the oil. my friend did this for about 3 years.

99% sure that it has to be the water pump. From 98 until 2002/03 they used a standard rubber gasket which from the stress of constant oil/coolant pressure and contamination fails and coolant should be coming out the weep hole as well. Only fix is to pull the valve cover, replace tensioner and usually timing chain to be safe with the upgraded water pump with a metal gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back