TC-W3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using this in my beater car for ~500 miles. Observations:
[I'm running 1oz TC-W3/5 gal gas]
  • No smoke/etc.
  • Spark plug electrodes are not even slightly fouled - remarkably clean, actually
  • This car used to "buck" ever so slightly when accelerating uphill under load. I don't feel that now.
  • Forgot to check gas mileage on the last tank with TC-W3 in it; will check in the next few days.
  • Idle may have smoothed out slightly.

I'm probably going to keep using it "just because". I didn't buy that quart of TC-W3 for nothing! It doesn't *seem* to be doing any harm. I don't hear any pinging/knocking under heavy load/low RPM so it hasn't lowered the octane of the fuel very much.

Last edited:
IMO that is a little rich. I do more like 1 oz/10 gal, and figure less is more.

I've use 1oz/5gal for two years. It works well for me.
1oz/10 gal may have no effect.

define the difference between works well and no effect...

THere is an effect, if the mass is there.

Originally Posted By: JRed
Been using this in my beater car for ~500 miles. Observations:
[I'm running 1oz TC-W3/5 gal gas]
  • No smoke/etc.
  • Spark plug electrodes are not even slightly fouled - remarkably clean, actually
  • This car used to "buck" ever so slightly when accelerating uphill under load. I don't feel that now.
  • Forgot to check gas mileage on the last tank with TC-W3 in it; will check in the next few days.
  • Idle may have smoothed out slightly.

I'm probably going to keep using it "just because". I didn't buy that quart of TC-W3 for nothing! It doesn't *seem* to be doing any harm. I don't hear any pinging/knocking under heavy load/low RPM so it hasn't lowered the octane of the fuel very much.

I would hope that at 640:1 your plugs would stay clean... 2 cycle engines run that stuff at way lower ratios and don't have fouling issues.

I'm sure I'm going to get flack for this, but I have run TC oil in my cars and trucks gas engines before too just to get rid of that last little pint. I have also run mineral spirits, ATF, camping fuel and other oils and left over flammables. Not to clean or lubricate anything, just to get rid of it if I have just a little left. Only the clean stuff and nothing used. I have never used motor oil for the concern of the catalytic converter clogging and valve deposits. I have two gas engine vehicles with around 200,000 miles. I always borescope the cylinders on a plug change and the chambers are all clean as a whistle. My EGR passages in the throttle body have next to no carbon buildup. In small quantities, I'll toss all sorts of things in there. BTW: I have original fuel pumps on both vehicles. It's not that I do this on a regular basis, but rather very sporadically and in small quantities. And no, the cars do not seem to run any better or worse.

Whenever the fuel mixed with TCw3 or the injector 2 stroke oil for the bike or even the regular air cooled small motor 2 stroke mixes get a little long in the tooth, I put em' in the cars and refresh my gas cans with new mixtures. I have been doing this for a long time and have had no issues. No improvements, no problems. Seems to be a non issue. I must say, the biggest premix can I have is 2.5 gal. 2.5 gals of 50:1 added to 15 or more gallons of gas is a pretty diluted mixture

My experience is much like Michael_P's. I have disposed of octane, iso-octane, heptane, hexane, benzene, toluene, xylene, butanol, methanol, ethanol, phenol, iso-amyl alcohol, isopropanol, acetone, diesel, kerosene, redline diesel fuel additive, ether, Ashless 2-stroke oils, and even baby oil by running it through my gas tank. Some of the Gasoline-like solvents I have run as high as 10% of the fuel. I have gotten the heptane a little too high before and caused some knocking. On that occasion, a little toluene fixed thing fairly quickly.

Being a Rotary nut, I have been running TCW3 for a long while. On the RX-8 Racing Beat found that adding some RP 2-stroke to the fuel on top of the oil induction system actually INCREASED HP.

Quote from Racing Beats website:
Originally Posted By: Racing Beat
RX-8 - Race Tips
While undertaking development work on the RX-8 Renesis engine for SCCA T2/T3 use, we decided to introduce extra oil into the fuel to monitor the effect. To our surprise, this additional oil increased power! Further dyno testing found that by adding 10 oz. of Royal Purple 2-Stroke Oil to 6 gallons of fuel, we gained an average of 1.7 HP from 2000-9000 RPM, along with an increase in peak power of 4 HP. We validated this increase by changing back to a "non-oiled" fuel - and the power returned to the previous level. Later, we tried the same test with another brand of synthetic oil with nearly the same results.

Reactions: a5m
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
IMO that is a little rich. I do more like 1 oz/10 gal, and figure less is more.
strange.....from what I've read, 1 oz. to 5 gallons seems to be about the "most popular" concentration amount......

If MMO can get away with 4 oz. to 10 gallons, (equivalent to 2 oz. to 5 gallons....basically), I can't see 1 oz. to 5 gallons being that big of a deal......

I did about 3 ounces in my VX, albeit after filling the gas tank and subsequently upon returning home...and the vehicle idled really weird right after. Almost stalling. Since then, I've learned that it is indeed best to pour before pumping.
grin2.gif

That's strange to me though.....If you added the tcw-3 "after" pumping, I'd think the TCW-3 would likely still be "making its way" down into the fuel tank
wink.gif
I know it leaves a little residue on the filler neck of my vehicle....

Being a Honda Civic, I'm guessing it's only got maybe an 11 gallon tank....? To me, sounds like you simply 'over concentrated' the dosage (used too much TCW-3....). 3 oz. is about the treatment rate for 15-20 gallons of fuel, depending who you ask of course...when I was researching TCW-3, seemed the most common concentration was 1 oz. per 5 gallons....you simply used too much. I know based on the containers of TCW-3, it's kind of hard to get it down to the fractions of an oz....so I typically round the dosage down to the next whole number
wink.gif

Next time, add 1 = 1.5 oz....when it comes to TCW-3 - more is not better
wink.gif

I've used MMO in the gas for decades now, and experimented with TCW3 too. I find in my Aerostar which is just shy of 200K miles, that the TCW3 seems to smooth out the idle a bit more than the MMO, based on independent butt dino testing results. I really believe in older engines a top oil helps make for a better ring seal, which could explain why many of us claim the engine idles better/smoother/etc. I think MMO might clean things a bit better than TCW3 though. JMO

I used TC-W3 in my Cobalt once. Put in a couple ounces before filling with gas, put the cap back on... and it broke. So rather than throw it away (didn't want it to leak out in my trunk) I dumped the whole pint in. That's about a 100:1 ratio.

I kept waiting for something bad to happen, but it never did. I didn't notice any difference in how it ran.

I also once disposed of about a cup of cooking oil in my gas tank because the bottle was leaking. Again, no noticed effect.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

It should still be enough to lube the seals and gaskets.

TCW3 helps the fuel pump - it's not felt and is unsung, but a very real help. Esp with alcohol infused fuels.

Ring and valve guide lubrication, and sealing of the rings and valve faces is also real.
2ounces/10 gal fuel is about right.
MMO like about twice that.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: Trajan

It should still be enough to lube the seals and gaskets.

Exactly. That was my feeling, and experience based upon fuel pump sound (a completely non-scientific measure, but as good as anything else).

With adds, IMO less is more and you only want the required dose to get the therapeutic effect and not a bit more.

It's like vitamin C. Take none, youll likely be OK. Take some and your body will absorb most and pee out a bit. Take too much and your body will pee out a lot of it. Put WAY too much in and your body will turn acid and it wont be good.

That analogy is the same with fuel adds.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10

I also once disposed of about a cup of cooking oil in my gas tank because the bottle was leaking. Again, no noticed effect.

I understand doing this in a diesel, but in gas? Why?

Reactions: a5m
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back