synthetic blend vs. full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a F150 ecoboost and am wondering if I should run the MC synthetic blend or Pennzoil Platinum? I drive less than 10k per year so will change the oil probably once per year. I tow about 500 mile/ year, though not all at once (short runs less than 50 miles one way).

Will the fully synthetic give me any increase in mpg over the Motorcraft synthetic blend?

Will the PP keep the engine cleaner than the MC? With the MC being a GF-5 oil I wonder if the PP is worth the extra $3.00 quart? The platinum also meets the Honda/Acura HTO-06
spec for turbos that very few oils meet, where mc semi syn doesn't

If you're only going to change the oil once a year then definitely go with the PP. Probably won't notice much difference in MPG, but should definitely keep it clean with that kind of driving and OCI.

Originally Posted By: Scorch
If you're only going to change the oil once a year then definitely go with the PP. Probably won't notice much difference in MPG, but should definitely keep it clean with that kind of driving and OCI.

Guess I will hit Oreilly's and buy some of the PP on the buy one get one free deal

I would be afraid to mix conventional with synthetic as Ford might give me heck for not using the "right" oil

Isn't the Ecoboost 7500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first on Motorcraft 5w-30 oil?

I have the Ecoboost and live in Central Texas. Dumped the factory fill and filter at 2500 miles. Put in PP 10w-30 with new filter. Dumper oil again at 6000 miles and put in PP 10w-30. Will run to 10k and then conduct OCI every 5k with PP...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scorch

+1

If your going to change it once a year what oil filter are you going to use? Pure Ones have a great deal right now and seem to be a good filter for your application.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
Isn't the Ecoboost 7500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first on Motorcraft 5w-30 oil?

I have the Ecoboost and live in Central Texas. Dumped the factory fill and filter at 2500 miles. Put in PP 10w-30 with new filter. Dumper oil again at 6000 miles and put in PP 10w-30. Will run to 10k and then conduct OCI every 5k with PP...

You are supposed to change it by what the computer says, but it can be up to 1 year or 10k miles according to the manual.
At 3 months,I am at 2300 miles and 75% oil life left. With my driving habits, I assume that it will be once per year as calculated by the computer

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
If your going to change it once a year what oil filter are you going to use? Pure Ones have a great deal right now and seem to be a good filter for your application.

Since I bought the factory extended warranty, I figured I would stick with the Motorcraft. Rock Auto has the FL500S for $4.83 each. I figured I would order about 4 to get the shipping lower per filter

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
There's nothing wrong with the Motorcraft. The PP says it exceeds Ford WSS-M2C945-A. Is this what Ford specs for your engine?

Ford calls for WSS-M2C945A so if the PP exceeds it, it should at least be better for deposit protection and if I am dang lucky, maybe .1mpg better too. I figure that if the computer tells me to change it only once a year (and I plan on obeying it
smile.gif
) then I better go with the PP for added insurance.

Not scientific by any means but with twin turbos I would only run synthetic regardless of the change interval.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Not scientific by any means but with twin turbos I would only run synthetic regardless of the change interval.

+1

Can one switch from synthetic to regular 20w or 5-20 weight without damage in a 2011 Honda Accord 4 Cyl? rroche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back