Need help/info on a Honda VLX 600

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still in the market for my first bike. I lost a really nice 2006 Honda 750 Aero since I couldn't get to it fast enough after a price drop from the seller. Also lost a nice 2002 Honda Spirit for the same reason. My quest continues. I just looked at a 2003 VLX 600 with 20k miles. Started easy and sounded good idling. Looked good body wise for a 2003. My qestions: 1) How reliable are these bikes? 2) Any known major issues with them? 3) would 20k miles dissuade anyone from considering one? and 4) Used value? I've searched Craigslist, I've searched Ebay, both active and completed listings, and numerous other sources. Prices are all over the place. Wouldn't mind calling it my own but don't want to over-pay since my plan is to upgrade to a bigger bike at a later date. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also considering a 2005 Yamaha V-Star 650, but haven't seen this one yet. Any comments? Thanks.

Mike

Absolutely reliable.

I personally would have liked the bike if they had left the six-speed in it that the other bikes that engine was derived from had. It has a 4-speed.

I don't think I'm being unfair. I'm used to a 400cc 4cyl with a 14,000 rpm redline that uses it's engine as a stressed member and the Shadow VLX was just too buzzy on the freeway for me.

If you can handle the vibration, it'll be a good reliable bike.

I test rode one that wouldn't idle correctly. It was just a neighborhood run but it was quite powerful up to 30mph. The one I checked out had leaking fork seals. But that's not was dissuaded me from buying it. It was a fair price and I've never had a cruiser, but after getting the battery in it, it just seemed that it would be a nightmare to work on. Even being a small twin, by comparison standards, it was very cramped and I just predicted no joy in working on the bike like I did with my sportbike.

That, plus, spokes and nipples are for dirt bikes.

Check with NADA for 'blue book' price. I find them better/closer than KBB (the real 'blue book').

It could stand to have a one tooth larger front sprocket installed, so highway speeds are less 'buzzy'.

My 2¢

May I suggest looking at the Yamaha V Sta6 650 Custom or Classic as well? They have a good reputation and make a good first bike. Shaft drive for easy maintenance, decent power for its engine size, and lots of availability for accessories. They have been produced since 99 or 2000, so there are lots on the market.

One problem you will find with alot of used bikes with low mileage is that they have sat, more then they were used. And the things needed to get them up to par are usually a carb cleaning, a new battery, and maybe new tires if the are over 5 years old. The carb part is the most obvious. They usually either won't start easy, or idle right,or only run good at upper speeds.There are not hard to correct, but that should also be reflected in the price.,,

Yeah most people are not smart enough to put fuel stabilizer in the gas unfortunately. I bought an 80 GS550 for 250 bucks because the carbs were a mess, so bad it idled only on 2 of 4 cylinders.

A good dose of SeaFoam helps a lot. Many two doses.
I've clean up a few carbs that way.

Even used it for a spring 'cleaning'. First fill up of the riding season got a dose of SeaFoam.

Had an old 450 Suzuki that was the only one I had to remove carbs to clean low speed jets. It sat for 5 years.

Hi, I make a living dealing w/ new riders and helping them make educated and logical choices when purchaseing thier first bike.

I have a Honda VLX as well as the V-star Shadow 750 and a Suzuki Boulevard in my rental fleet. The Vlx is a great running bike but outgrown easily as your skilll level improves.
The learning curve varies greatly and it hard to recommend w/o knowing you.

We paid 2,000 for a 2001 XLX w/800 miles on it .

If you are past the "white knuckle" stage I would skip the 600 and forget the V-star 650 and check out the 750 or 800, I would not pay more than 2500 for your first bike..you will learn so much your first couple of thousand miles that when you are ready to chunk out some serious cash..you will choose wisely.

When choosing take note of handlebars(are they comfy) controls, are they in a position that is good for your height, seat, windshied position. do you like looking over or through it) All of the above can be modified but it is always mo$$$ mo $$$$.

Shiney side up!!!,
Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back