Interpret these results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping for some input regarding the lubricity of FP60 as compared to the other diesel fuel additives presented in Arlen Spicer's test. The only information I can come up with is on the http://lubecontrol.com/fuel.htm website listed under lab reports and Southwest Research Institute It reads: •Lubricity : D6079 HFRR lowered wear at 1-5 treat rate .37mm. Important for increasing lubricity in lower sulfur fuels. High heat at injector tip ( can weld plunger to barrel ) additives must add lubricity for longevity and proper operation. Well below CAT limit, .52 mm @140F allowance by ASTMD6079. PASS If I'm interpreting this as a .37mm wear scar then FP60 would be or created a scar then FP60 is right up there with the OptiLube XPD as far as protection but cost's far less to use. OR[/i][/color] If I interpret as FP60 lowered the wear scar by .37mm then it would give it a 266mm wear scar and place it better than the XPD and just behind the soy diesel which is 221mm (provided the fuel had a wear scar of 636 or similar as it did in Spicer's test. May be we could get some expert opinions. here. Thanks

Mike

Please elaborate.

I think for the HFRR test this was the resulting wear number which was below the .52 mm wear allowed by CAT.

Contact LCD for more detailed explanation.

I have replaced THOUSANDS of 6.0 injectors and no failures were do to lack of fuel lubrication. The 6.0 injectors are fault by design of the internals. Good oil helps slightly but between 80 and 100K one can count on failure

No im not saying dont use a good additive-lubricant, BUT dont be suprised when they fail. The 6.0 injector is a 7:1 ratio injector so couple that with the highpressure oil at 3600 3600X7=25,200psi pressure being applied to the intensifier piston. Any cushion is nice!!

But lets get into the real issue ESPECIALLY with 03-04 injectors. internal design issues for the clip holding the spool valve location breaks, and 2nd major issue is Low fuel pressure. I routinly see these truck running roughly 45 PSi of fuel pressure. These truck need to be regulated from 55-60 psi. Modded trucks I find 62psi to be about perfect. Stock i stick with 55psi.

There are a couple of ways to shim the regulator and there are also regulated return kits with adjustable regulators on them. This is my preffered method of adjustment. Although alittle pricey the benefits arout weigh the cost.
These trucks love clean oil. Bypass filtration, and never extending intervals passed 6-8k miles.

Lastly is make sure you have the current FICM reflash ( Inductive heating reflash ). This flash addresses the sticking spool valve issues. Using an additive will help with cushioning of the intensifier piston but it is not a cure all for the issues.

I have had customers use Hotshot Secret, Rev-X, Lube control, and about every other additive know to man and still have failures.

The single best thing I can tell you that will help your injectors and truck live a long healthy life is 1st No tuning unless you have money for repairs, 2 Fuel system, and 3 normal mainatnce and good filtration.

I have several customer that havent had a single issue after we had Industrial injection rebuild the injectors,and installed a fuel system. 1 of which has almost 400,000 miles on it with 1 injector job.

If you have any questions let me know

My truck was built in Dec 2002, I have an after market fuel system with a regulator set at 55 psi. I do run a mild 40hp econo tune. I also keep my filters clean. So knowing this...I will probably end up with some injector problems, will I need new injectors or can I have mine rebuilt when the time comes? I will stick with FP60 as I've using it for 5-6 years now. I use it in my tractor too.

Last edited:
I dont use any Ford or any other " reman " Injectors. Each set I have comes from Industrial injection. I bought a few sets of cores and had them built. We have had stellar luck with them and CRD injectors. Sean handles the PSD stuff at Industrial and has done a great job fixing the main issues with the 6.0 injectors.

You should be fine with that pressure and the 40HP tune. We have our own fuel system but the ITP and trusted performance kits are really great kits. Sounds like you are well on your way to taking good care of your truck.

How many miles is on your rig?

Also by sending your in to be built you save about 1500.00 over the cost of going to ford. They are flow matched also instead of just getting boxes off of the shelf. It's just by far the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back