Diesel Fuel Additive in Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title states, I had a rocket scientist add enough diesel fuel additive for 416 gallons into my 275 gallon bulk gasoline tank. Does anyone have any information as to the ill-effects of this?

The additive is Fuel Protect, John Deere labeled, and I think manufactured for them by stanadyne. By the time I found all of this out tonight everyones customer service lines were closed for the night and the gas was already delivered.
Thanks in advance.

Ouch.

I'd be kinda scared to use it. Diesel fuel additive in gasoline at a higher concentration than it's designed for...

Does this particular diesel additve contain Cetane improvers? All you may see if anything is a performance loss. If it doesnt have improvers youll be fine. Standyne has 2 types of additives a normal lubrication additive and then their performance additive

Last edited:
I'm no chemist either, but "petroleum based lubricating oil" isn't something you find in gasoline.

I guess you could compare flash point and other measurables to see if it's even close to gas, but -- it is no longer gasoline.

[but the backyard mechanic in me says to try it in the old pushmower and see what happens]

Last edited:
The MSDS doesn't say much, id guess it is a kerosine type base fluid, maybe a bit heavier... May effect volatility/deposit formation, and may drop octane.

I'd probably try to dilute with high octane gasoline to whatever extent possible, and elect a "test mule" to run on it.

Chances are the relative doses aren't terribly high, and the engines will run. Just not sure how they will run, especially under high/transient load...

The amount used was 32 oz., and yes it is a cetane improver.

It contains 2-ethylhexyl nitrate, ethylene glycol n-butyl ether, heavy aromatic naptha, and xylene.

I seriously doubt the side effects will be disasterous, at least I hope not since I have 275 gallons to use up.

I'm no chemist....maybe you should ask tomorrow if this diesel additive is an upper cylinder and fuel system lubricant. Who knows maybe there is absolutely no ill effect from the additive and it might even help with offsetting the effects of ethanol gasoline.

Ask before you change it out......

32oz of Fuel Protect added to 275 gal of gasoline is a 1100 to 1 ratio, I think you will be just fine, might even notice some smoother running performance.

Pick a test mule and see how it runs, post results here.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Cetane and octane are opposites. Since it boosted cetane, your gas now has lower octane.

Since you mixed it at 1000-1 , you will lower your octane maybe 1 point,but at the same time you will clean the fuel system as you would have with regular injector cleaners.
Probable effects will negate themselves.
You could also add 10 gallons of premium fuel to raise the octane levels if you notice any knocking or pinging in your engines, otherwise leave alone.
I am using pri-d in my gasoline engine corolla with no harmful effects and still getting 35-40 mpg. I got some for free and decided to use it up.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Cetane and octane are opposites. Since it boosted cetane, your gas now has lower octane.

Exactly what i was getting at. Octane burns hotter then Cetane does so a possible lack in performance might be present. Diesels run between 47 and 52 points of Cetane ( if your Lucky ) and the normal diesel engines is roughly 17:1 compression so less ignition is needed to fire the cylinder.

Cetane is Hexadecane in synetific form.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys, I heard back from Deere yesterday on the blunder.
The amount added (1qt to 300gal) should drop octane rating 2%, so no big deal. In the interm I had also talked to my fuel supplier and he didn't figure it would be a problem either. We have already used several gallons in a few different applications with no discerning performance differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back