Hustler Super Z hydro oil & filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to change the hydro oil in my Super Z. The manual states only 20w50 SL/SM rated motor oil. I don't remember it specifying synthetic, but I know other manufacturers that use the same pumps and wheel motors do. Do I go with conventional or synthetic? Is there anything special about hydro pumps and motors that require or can be adversly affected by certain additivies? This model does have a hydro oil cooler and electric fan.
Also, would anyone have a hydro filter recommendation. I can pick one up at the dealer, just didn't know if anyone has an idea for an improvement, if there is one, to the one Hustler sells.It's most likely from Stens or Rotary anyhow, not Hustler. I came up with a Wix 51551, Fleetguard HF6056/HF7608, Purolator H32010,and Donaldson P551551
Any insight would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: dlfishel
I need to change the hydro oil in my Super Z. The manual states only 20w50 SL/SM rated motor oil. I don't remember it specifying synthetic, but I know other manufacturers that use the same pumps and wheel motors do. Do I go with conventional or synthetic? Is there anything special about hydro pumps and motors that require or can be adversly affected by certain additivies? This model does have a hydro oil cooler and electric fan.
Also, would anyone have a hydro filter recommendation. I can pick one up at the dealer, just didn't know if anyone has an idea for an improvement, if there is one, to the one Hustler sells.It's most likely from Stens or Rotary anyhow, not Hustler. I came up with a Wix 51551, Fleetguard HF6056/HF7608, Purolator H32010,and Donaldson P551551
Any insight would be appreciated.

We are a Hustler dealer, the "SUPER-Z's" I work on usually have a cooler & fan so that part is kinda strange to me??
What engine is on this mower? Are you a Commercial user and how many hours on on this unit?

Anyway standard 20-50 is what we use and I do recommend the HUSTLER Hydro filters.. These are very good wheel motors and pumps, the oil spec is set by the manufacturer and yes there are issues that can be caused by using the wrong oil. Unless you trash a Wheel Motor or Hydro Pump you GTG for 250 hours at least so I see no reason to use another brand filter especially if your still within your Warranty period.

HTH...

Edit to add that while EXMARK (and some others) do recommend a SYN oil, HUSTLER does not.. I think that this may be because even though the wheel motors and pumps "may" be from the same manufacturer, they are not the same units.. FWIW, HUSTLER SUPER-Z's run the largest Pumps and Wheel motors I usually see..

Last edited:
Mine does have a oil cooler and fan. I have the Kawasaki 26LC as well. It is a first year XR7 Super Z.
I don't cut commercially, but I do mow about 3.5 acres/wk. I have a little over 300 hours on it now. I am out of warranty.
Good to know about the syn/conventional question. I knew the wheel motors were different that what others use but I didn't remember the manual stating to use conventional or synthetic only, just to use 20w50 and a Hustler filter.
What brand and type of oil do you typically use in the shop for Super Z's?

Last edited:
After "re-reading" your post I see I misread the cooler/fan note..

To be honest I think any quality brand oil will be perfectly fine so if you have a brand you like just run that... Personally I like CASTROL but we have used it, NAPA, PENZOIL, and prolly a few others in the past..

BTW, the HUSTLER SUPER-Z's (and other HUSTLER models) are my fave mower.. Not only are they excellent mowers but they are very well designed and for the most part relatively easy to work on..

On another note we have seen a LOT of engine failures of late (all oil related & NOT related to HUSTLER mind you) so if I can make one recommendation it would be to make sure your doing your oil changes at or around 50 hrs and check your oil level often..

I usually check all fluids and blow out the radiator before each mowing. I stay pretty close to the 50hr. mark on the OC and have been using Penzoil 30HD engine oil.
I agree about Hustler. All the manufacturers had strong points and weak points about their machines, but the Hustler was the best fit for my needs. I felt the design and build quality of the SZ was the simplest and most rugged of all of them. I like the frame/deck layout and the feel of the hydro sticks especially. It is smoother and not as twichy as some of the others.
Thanks for your advise.

Quality equipment aint cheap but there aint nuthin like using it.. Sounds like your doing a good job on maintainance.. BTW, you will want to get a "STRAP" wrench to remove that Hydro Filter, thay can be a Real BIATCH to remove..

You will most likely never have to buy another mower which IMHO is $$ well spent..

My Pleasure, LMK if you ever have any other Q's or need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back