Overheating Durango, I give up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JoeWGauss
occupant,

why would you buy this thing when it clearly was dead and needed so much work?

I'm curious. There are so many better choices than that it would appear.

Smoking deal. At the time it would have been a $5000 truck with the engine fixed. Changing the engine "fixed" it at the time. We had less than $2800 in it after the engine install. We've got our use out of it, believe me. But I need a few more months if possible.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I'd say check the parts you've already put on there. With my truck, I bought it as a fixer upper and certain brands of parts I put on my truck was junk brand new right out of the box. Tried a different brand and no problems to report. Have had this to happen a few times.

...and what onion said...

I am more than willing to believe the radiator is junk. I can't tell by eyeballing it, but I'm going to check the part number and see what comes up. How much you wanna bet it's the Spectra Premium one-row piece of garbage that sells cheaper than any other radiator but shops charge full retail for? If that's the case I might need to get a 2 or 3 row unit. There's several different rads spec'd for this truck, and with dual AC I probably need the most severe one even though I don't have trailer tow or 4wd or a 360 engine.

JHZR2, the radiator was first replaced for a crack in the driver's side tank below the upper hose where it attaches. That crack ran all the way out the neck to the upper hose. Replaced that and then the water pump went later. Water pump replaced and mechanic never road tested long enough to see the new radiator crack. Same place, too. That's why I had the hoses and clamps replaced as well as the thermostat when that all got done. Isn't a problem now, I don't think. Water pump circulates well. But yeah, I'm sure it's the cheapest radiator he could find.

Chris142 mentioned puking, and it did that in the weeks leading up to when the fans were replaced. Now it doesn't bubble, puke, ping, or anything you can hear, but it definitely is running hot. I notice that when the gauge moves above 210, the idle increases and the truck wants to "creep" more when stopped in gear. Have to hold the brake down a wee bit harder to keep it still. I also notice the transmission shifts harder and later when it's "running hot". It doesn't puke or make sounds but it drives so different. Like it's out of breath and sweaty and lethargic. Of course sitting in the driver's seat with hot air blowing at me, that's how I feel driving it. Drives so nice at night and in the mornings, though. Doesn't get hot then.

MrHorspwer, I know it spiked when off, I was just saying how much, and how it DOESN'T return under 210 on the dash gauge when this happens. The truck runs so obviously different when it's above 210 versus below 210 on the gauge that there's something happening. Something between the hair under 210 and the hair over 210 is enough of a temp difference to cause a problem.

I just don't understand how when this hot running is happening, why the front AC is so much hotter than the back AC. Back AC stays ice cold, low 40s. Front AC gets up ABOVE ambient if you let it sit long enough.

I think it's time, after spending $700ish to NOT fix the problem, to stop sinking money in this truck. I'll perform the low cost checks and repairs (rad cap, pressure test, combustion gas test, borrow a scantool to check the temp from the sensor, clean and comb the condenser fins, determine how cheap of a son of a you know what that the mechanic who changed the radiator was)

IMO it's time for another vehicle. Seems like this one just wants a lot of money thrown at it and if my wife gets her way it will get that money and I don't want that to happen. Maybe it's time to put a little brake fluid in the engine oil on the next top-up.

How about changing the coolant sensor?
They go bad too.

Another possibility, install the largest radiator available for that vehicle.
The large size Durango could be had with the hemi engine.
The early version had the 360 as an option.

Last edited:
I like the ground idea. Was reading about a bad ground screwing with the PCM on these.

Try this, it's crazy: Connect a scan tool OR connect pins 4 & 5 on the OBDII port. (Signal ground and chassis ground.)

There have been durangos of about your vintage getting very wonky due to a marginal PCM ground. If nothing else it might help the logic of the electric fan come on sooner.

Quote:
Before the water pump failure, the replacement engine never went over 210. Since, it's just been getting progressively worse

Is is possible the replacement water pump is defective? Sometimes we overlook the obvious in the zeal to "CSI" the problem.

I googled "durango overheating problem" and there are numerous links to pursue.

At Edmunds, their is a long, current thread going on that has many ideas: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0dfe3f This will get you into the end of the discussion, but check earlier pages too.

Topics that came up: Duragos have a 2nd. auxillary water pump??????
21.gif
Bad thermostat location/design????? And many other ideas. The auxillary water pump replacement fixed the problem for many that did the same repairs repeatedly like you.

Please keep us informed!

i've seen many issues with aftermarket fan clutches on these engine, it seems that many aftermarket clutches just don't work right out of the box.

33.gif
I didn't say coolant boost would fix the problem...
lol.gif

Get it fixed correctly of course. DUH!

If you keep driving and it settles at 210, that is normal.

A few degrees more/less coolant temperature should not have any effect on the AC system.

If the spark plugs are easily accessed, I'd try a compression test on each cylinder. A leak should reveal itself with a low PSI cylinder.

An autoparts store might have the compression tester for free rental.

Just for the heck of it...try hooking the heater core back up to see if that can be ruled out. That is....if it doesn't leak to bad.

if a bad head gasket is a concern buy one of the coolant testers, it tests coolant for exhaust gas, they work pretty well and can be had at most decent parts stores.

Generally good comments... Also check to make sure that the fan is spinning in the right direction. I've seen it reversed once. Unbelievable. [edit: i.e., make sure that the fan is not installed backwards]

Last edited:
back A/C is always in recirc mode, as it pulls in cooler interior air and recools it. front a/c may be pulling in hotter, moister outside air. could also be some pressure differences due to some unknown valving in the A/C. Could be that the front A/C core has an individual expansion valve that is different or separate or starting to fail. you have -2- different issues to track. A/C behavior and cooling system behavior.

doesn't sound like HG to me--- you'd see the OF tank full and radiator would have some air in it.

also consider this is an extreme environment where any vehicle will be strained for both engine and cabin cooling.

Remember that the A/C gets the airflow first, not the engine, so a hot A/C radiator will cause the engine to breathe hotter air.

Poor coolant circulation could play a role, but radiator efficiency is kinda what I'm agreeing with too.

If you need a spare car while u fix this as mentioned above, how's about a smaller vehicle that is simpler to maintain and thrifty on fuel-- you might want that as a spare if gas $ skyrocket. A transverse 4-banger with single A/C is easy to work on compared to a V-8 stuffed modern truck.

Agree you need to verify real engine temp either with a gun or second gauge or other means. 210 is fine. 230 on heat soak happens. sluggish thermostat can contribute. mung and goo restricting cooling passages can contribute (reverse flush?).

M

If you run the front A/C in recirc mode, does it cool better and/or not heat the engine up as much?

We have experienced your symptoms a few times, on a '96 Grand Cherokee (similar to your vehicle), and with the 318 engine. Once, we installed an aftermarket electric fan and had these issues. It'd run fine with no A/C, but given the heat load of the A/C, the engine temperature would climb slowly but uncontrollably. Same after we went on a Jeep Jamboree and clogged the front with mud. The day-long drive back home from upstate NY was with open windows.

Check the A/C condenser; check that it's free and clear and that all fins are straight and not kinked. If all the fins are pushed sideways, it's just a solid piece of metal as far as airflow is concerned. The replacement radiator should be okay. Most cars and trucks these days have single-core aluminum radiators. It appears that this Durango has an electric AND a mechanical fan? Did I read that you also replaced the fan clutch? Can you hear the fan when started cold or when it gets real hot? The fluid in the clutch should cause that fan to roar when you first start it, and you should be able to hear it also when the engine temperature starts to climb like that. Also, can you verify that the electric fan is turning on?

Make sure the serpentine belt has proper tension. If the belt is loose or glazed, the water pump pulley may be slipping some.

I don't think I read that you changed the thermostat yet. Check that...put a new thermostat in it. I would recommend a high-flow thermostat. You should be able to get them from Summit, etc, and they're not expensive. I would stick with the original equipment 195*F one if you replace it.

Should the lower radiator hose have a spring inside of it? Sometimes they have coil springs to prevent collapse of the lower hose (the suction hose).

Originally Posted By: morris
AIR LOCK? drill a 1/8" hole in the stat. this is a chrysler factory recommended operation.

I like this. Plus it helps the water currents "tickle" the thermostat pellet so it reacts faster.

One additional item to check would be to see if the a/c system is over pressurized. If it is, reduce it, and see if the temps get back into the normal range.

BC.

you drill the hole between the gasket serface and the part that moves. the hole is just there to let the air out and let the coolant in. you have to be patient. allso i have used 100% antifreeze . the thing is it freeze about -3o or -70 iam not sure. but it doesnt freeze hard, just mushy. so in kansas iam mostly ok.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back