Any benefits with low saps oil a car without dpf?

Hello boys.
I'm owner of a I have a new Alfa Romeo Giulietta with 2.0 JTDm without DPF/FAP. Obviously my car do not requires ACEA C3 but requires ACEA B3.

There any benefits using a LOW SAPS oil (B3/C3) in a diesel car that is lacking of FAP/DPF?
Or using it is worse?

Last edited:
Per Lubrizol (a leading additive manufacturer) the ACEA Cx oils will reduce intake deposits and lengthen the life of emissions systems for both petrol and diesel vehicles. Int addition you can have oils which meet ACEA Bx/Ax that are also ACEA Cx.

You must be very careful when going >10000km between oil changes not to use up the limited detergency/alkalinity (TBN) in these oils. For long intervals oil analysis with TBN/TAN analysis would be wise.
Personally, I would use for your car a traditional oil like Mobil 1 0W40.

Charlie

thanks for the infos boys
smile.gif

Last edited:
My oil had a slight smell of petrol so i changed it with mobil synt s 5W - 40. The problem is that the manufacturer permits c3 specs but the oil i used meets only acea A3,B4,B3. Can this cause any damage to the engine? I will be changing the oil again in 2.000 miles as the car will be due for it's first service. Thanks

Thanks Rollins. So i guess there is no need to drain that oil until the next service.

Hi all. I was wondering the same, if lower SAPS oils keep engine more clean, even engine has no DPF or low/mid SAPS is not required?

I have an Ford Mondeo 1.8 TDCI year 2008 (european model). Car has now an issue with VGT turbo vanes sticking and therefore a turbo change is scheduled in few weeks.
Car manufacturer OCI is 20000 km. I've changed oils and filter at 15000 km OCI, and I've always used oil according to spec (WSS-M2C-913-D) and those are usually full-SAPS (ash about 1,3%).

Mobil however produces Super 3000 FE 5W-30 with mid-SAPS (ash 0,8%) and it has Ford approval too. I'll try that hoping to increase new VGT turbo lifespan. So it may not form so much soot or carbon onto vanes and cause them to stick so soon? Although the current turbo has 260000 km's and 12 years of service, but I've expected for more of course.

So, how you think, does lower SAPS content engine oil help to extend i.e. variable geometry turbocharger life or improve general engine cleanliness?

To the OP..... I (personally) would stick with a A3/B4 oils.... Shell helix ultra 5w40 would be my choice (yes I am a Shell fan)..... But any other A3/B4 brand name will suffice to...

More TBN in comparison with C3 (10 vs 8 +/-).... It counts in a diesel car!

@Herc that smell is normal thing in a GDi/TGDi engine....fuel dilution...go with thicker oils (5w40 or 10w40) and change them by extreme OCI plan (divide your OCI by 1/2 if GDI/TGDi vehicle) usually that happens if you short trip your vehicle!!!

@bob22 are u lugging your engine? Start using it.....diesel is, an workhorse (when T gauge is @ its normal position ;).)

And for @Massimo_A

From time to time (at least once per year)....after you have changed its dieselfilter...add this, additive....to almost empty tank.... Or directly into diesel filter when assembled back!

@bob22 are u lugging your engine? Start using it.....diesel is, an workhorse (when T gauge is @ its normal position ;).)
I think not lugging as I try to have around 2000 rpms, but maybe I've had too little of wide open throttle driving (need to increase that with new turbo). But now this problem emerged and I wonder would there be any (even theoretical) benefit of lower SAPS oil against VGT contamination, as there is one available that meets requirements?

Well....there they are (low saps oils)......they wont hurt your engine!

Pick anything with a "holly trinity" on it (VW 504/507, MB 229.51/52 or BMW LL-04)............or even Dexos2

Hi all. I was wondering the same, if lower SAPS oils keep engine more clean, even engine has no DPF or low/mid SAPS is not required?

I have an Ford Mondeo 1.8 TDCI year 2008 (european model). Car has now an issue with VGT turbo vanes sticking and therefore a turbo change is scheduled in few weeks.
Car manufacturer OCI is 20000 km. I've changed oils and filter at 15000 km OCI, and I've always used oil according to spec (WSS-M2C-913-D) and those are usually full-SAPS (ash about 1,3%).

Mobil however produces Super 3000 FE 5W-30 with mid-SAPS (ash 0,8%) and it has Ford approval too. I'll try that hoping to increase new VGT turbo lifespan. So it may not form so much soot or carbon onto vanes and cause them to stick so soon? Although the current turbo has 260000 km's and 12 years of service, but I've expected for more of course.

So, how you think, does lower SAPS content engine oil help to extend i.e. variable geometry turbocharger life or improve general engine cleanliness?

Be careful, I took one of these to 200k and had a few issues on the way.

One of the timing belts is a 'wet belt' in oil. Apparently, use of a non WSS-M2C913C/D oil can cause the belt to fail prematurley. Mine was getting due for change number two when I got rid. I was planning on converting the lower belt to the older chain type.

This is a great question. Here in Pakistan, we get the Toyota Fortuner with the 1GD turbo diesel. It has no DPF, unlike in other countries, but does have EGR. I’ve been using a CI or CJ hdeo, but was wondering if a lower SAPS oil would keep the EGR cleaner for longer.

Okay. I did some Googling and found that practically there is not much ways to avoid incomplete fuel combustion? :rolleyes: Excessive idling is one major cause of incomplete combustion and is quite easy to avoid. But other factors were i.e. wear over time on fuel injectors or cylinder parts, on which good maintenance would slow down the wear, but won't prevent it. The wear on components is slowly causing combustion to be overall less optimal.

Now my car got turbo replaced and it runs very well :D VGT-mechanism was really stuck when old turbo was removed and tested. I switched to Mobil's FE 5W-30 oil at the same time, because lower ash content shouldn't do any harm since the oil has a Ford Approval (so it's tested and verified). I could only hope that new turbo would last at least the same time than the old one.

Hi
Does a low saps oil help minimise the egr valve gumming up the inlet manifold with residue from the ccv that is vented via the turbo?

Back