Need advice for a 2011 BMW R1200GSA motorcycle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recently bought a new 2011 BMW R1200GSA motorcycle and could use some advice. After reading some motorcycle forums; apparently some of the newer BMW’s motorcycles are having problems with fouled fuel injectors. I guess from ethanol??…

People are recommending using Techron every 3000 miles. My questions:

1. Should I just run a bottle of Techron thru every 3000 miles? (bike has a 8+ gallon tank, would the small bottle of Techron be too much for this tank?)
2. Would it be better to do a maintenance dose every tank? (how much?)
3. Do both 1 + 2?
4. Any other suggestions or better products?

Thanks!

I'm certainly not the biggest mileage racker upper around, but over 20K miles on my '07 BMW and I've never put anything but gasoline in the tank, I try to stick with BP Shell Exxon types. It runs great. Well, I did have to pump some 87 gas out in the country recently and the ol' Red Baron wasn't happy about that but that was purely octane rating related. If I was going to use any cleaner it would be Techron, but only as a "shock" treatment as needed.

Last edited:
Nice bike! Do you think the injector problems are from sitting through winters or infrequent use? (IE do all the threads start in April?
lol.gif
) Can you find top tier gas? (Few Shells in Maine.)

Even with an 8 gallon tank a small bottle of techron is too much IMO unless doing a shock treatment.

Is this a feedback fuel system? Do they have an "E10" mode like some injected sleds? Is this something running lean anyway where a plugged injector is the straw that breaks the camel's back?

I used to like "autogard" FI injector from Dollar tree, was made by warren IIRC, and cheap enough to split one bottle among several cars as a maintenance dose weekly. Naturally they dumped it and brought in some other junk that doesn't look as good, and I've been too chicken to try. Liked it not just because it was cheap and I could feel it work, but I felt that they didn't put too much "good stuff" (that would rot my fuel system) in it.

I define it as a maximum permissible concentration of the cleaner used on performance or event based criteria. As in, "Had the airbox off and saw goop on the intake valves, so I ran a 'shock treatment' of Techron to try to clean it up."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back