TCW3 with moly added to gas = good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your car has three O2 sensors with multiple cats. Be careful to not contaminate them as they are expensive. I use MMO in ours since, like you probably know, the valves have very tight clearances.

I would stick with MMO @ 3 to 4 oz per 10 gallons of gasoline.

+1 about the 02 sensors and cats issue.

I add the MMO before pumping so it gets mixed up well. Have used it over the years in several vehicles without issue.

Originally Posted By: 229
Your car has three O2 sensors with multiple cats. Be careful to not contaminate them as they are expensive. I use MMO in ours since, like you probably know, the valves have very tight clearances.
The valves have very tight clearances? splain it to me??

Good of you to bring this up!

Seems that it would be smart to pull some VOAs on most "questionable" adds (things that wouldnt normally be used in an IC Automotie application) before using. While inorganics have been used as part of the additive packages of fuels, and so we should likely assume that they are able to burn clean, it is likely also smart to minimize the use of higher additized adds unless we know they are OK to use in emissions-controlled (catalyzed) equipment and/or that they wont foul them beyond regular (no additives) baseline for >150k miles of use.

Surely at the ratios being used, and at the low levels seen, it is nowhere near as bad as, say, a car that uses 1qt of oil per 1000 miles... We could do the math on that given the concentration of adds, fuel used, TCW3 ratio, etc. In fact, to answer your question, take a baseline API SM/SN oil, look at Mo, Zn, P, etc. Figure how much mass of these adds would be burned if you burned a qt of oil every 1000 miles. Then, using your car's MPGs, figure the mass of those metals in the adds if you put it in at whatever recommended ratio, and youll have your answer in terms of the equivalents of quarts of oil burned every 1000 miles. If it comes out to be less, then youre set.

Do we have any VOAs on MMO? I seem to think that we did...

I've been focused on the best 2 stroke oil and haven't given much thought, as yet, to using MMO. I heard from previous posts that it is a 5W or 10W compared to the 2 stroke oils which are 20W to 30W. Are there any other differences between the two?

As to the valve clearances and the cats and o2 sensors, I planned to use a 768:1 mix which should help with any contamination.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
... Do we have any VOAs on MMO? I seem to think that we did...

Yes, wildjyoung did one, but it wasn't easy to find. Thanks to both him, for running the sample, and Papa Bear for directing me to the report image link in his post in the thread.

BITOG Thread: Oil Analysis of Marvel Mystery Oil

BlackstoneMarvelMysteryOilReport.jpg

Reactions: a5m
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: 229
The valves have very tight clearances? splain it to me??

These engines have very tight valvestem/valveguide clearances. Mine will get a rough idle every couple of months and require induction cleaning if I don't add MMO or Seafoam to the gas.

Phosphorus is not a metal so it will burn off. Moly is a metal so it will not burn off. Is this correct? MMO is safer then?

Originally Posted By: vincent714028
Phosphorus is not a metal so it will burn off. Moly is a metal so it will not burn off. Is this correct? MMO is safer then?

/wink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back