VW Jetta 2.0 mk4 oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running 5w40 synthetic in my '03 vw jetta 2.0. Checked my oil yesterday and it was down a bit and added 3/4 of a quart of 5w20 synthetic by mistake.. Obviously should have done my research prior, but... What effects will this have on my engine? Did I screw up and need to get a full oil change? (I haven't driven anywhere since adding the oil)

Also, on a side note, is it overkill running synthetic in my jetta 2.0, or should I have just stuck with dino-oil?

Thank you in advance for your responses!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fettatwo_0
What effects will this have on my engine?

None whatsoever.

Quote:

Also, on a side note, is it overkill running synthetic in my jetta 2.0, or should I have just stuck with dino-oil?

Depends on how often you want to change your oil.

But all in all, these engines tend to consume oil, so it's probably cheaper to be topping it off with mineral.

Fantastic
smile.gif
Thank you Quattro Pete!

I'm fine with it costing a bit for the synthetic. In the long run will synthetic benefit as for high mileage engine life?

Welcome

My brother and girfriend have 2.0 MK4's. It doesn't matter if dino or synthetic is in the crankcase. It will burn oil! My brother has used Maxlife 10W-40 in the past. It burned the least amount of oil. I have Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 in my girlfriends car right now. It has burned more oil then the Castrol High Mileage 5W-30 I had in it before.

Seeing that you will have cold winters up there. Maybe try Castrol High Mileage 5W-30. It has a viscosity of 12.0 @ 100c. That is what most VW 502 spec 5W-30's are.

I had a 2003 2.0 and it never used a drop of oil. I always used Mobil 1 0w-40, Castrol Edge 5w-30 when it first came out, and Valvoline Synpower in 5w-30.

The 1.8t's and VR6s have sludge issues if you neglect the oil. The 2.0s are a pretty hassle free car, minus taking off that stupid under car plastic shield to get to the filter...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveTheisen
I had a 2003 2.0 and it never used a drop of oil. I always used Mobil 1 0w-40, Castrol Edge 5w-30 when it first came out, and Valvoline Synpower in 5w-30.

The 1.8t's and VR6s have sludge issues if you neglect the oil. The 2.0s are a pretty hassle free car, minus taking off that stupid under car plastic shield to get to the filter...

Sounds like the upside-down oil rings were fixed by 2003. (the cause of oil consumption in the 2.0)

Our 97 Jetta 2.slow has been awesome. 5K change intervals and uses about half of a qrt every time. I usually top off with MMO for the last 500 miles or so.

I have been running 5w40 synthetic in my '03 vw jetta 2.0. Checked my oil yesterday and it was down a bit and added 3/4 of a quart of 5w20 synthetic by mistake.. Obviously should have done my research prior, but... What effects will this have on my engine? Did I screw up and need to get a full oil change? (I haven't driven anywhere since adding the oil)

smile.gif

You thinned the 5w40 out a bit but I would not lose sleep over it. I don't think it's overkill to run synthetic at all. I consider it cheap insurance.

smile.gif

The little amount you added won't hurt. Just pay attention next time. As for running dino oil, I wouldn't. Stick with synthetic.

My wife had a 01 Beetle with the 2.0 that she bought brand new....it drank oil like crazy from day 1. I was checking the oil in that car weekly. VW said it was normal-I knew better. The 04 Jetta we bought new with the 2.0 burns maybe half a qt in 5k miles. So yeah, VW got the ring issues sorted out. lol

I just wish VW had used a timing chain instead of a belt...then this engine really would be hassle free. It was one of VWs better engines for sure and gets great gas mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back