How does everyone care for leather steering wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the preferred method of cleaning then protecting a leather steering wheel. Mine gets sticky and dirty from sweat and dirt. Does it need anything else but a wipe with a wet paper towel?

I normally use rubbing alcohol to clean it. Afterwards I always apply leather protectant/conditioner.

I clean mine with a solution of Woolite/water and then condition it with a good leather conditioner or mink oil.

1 part Woolite to 6 parts distilled water. Using a good quality microfiber towel. Duragloss leather and vinyl protectant afterwards.

Never Ever Use rubbing Alcohol. It causes premature drying and cracking. It will clean but dry out the leather. I also use Lexol cleaner, then conditioner.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm

Never Ever Use rubbing Alcohol. It causes premature drying and cracking. It will clean but dry out the leather. I also use Lexol cleaner, then conditioner.

+1 alcohol will clean but dry the leather as well. I use Lexol, but honestly, as long as you use anything consistently you should be fine.

I like Meguiars leather wipes, clean and condition
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is the leather on a steering wheel plastic coated like most automotive leather seats?

In other words, with steering wheels, are you cleaning/treating plastic, or are you cleaning/treating leather (like on a saddle).

Originally Posted By: Malo83
I like Meguiars leather wipes, clean and condition
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yes. I got the 2 fer deal on the AAP wipes. They smell the same as the Meguiar's so I suspect they supply them.

Weird though. When I went to use them on my seats and wheel. The wheel took alot to get clean while they removed very little dirt from the seats.

Leather on your steering wheel gets lots of oil, dirt, and grim on it from your hands. It NEEDS to be washed. "Wipes" and "conditioners" are all worthless. They add an oily shine to the leather to make it "look" good.

Get Whool lite detergent and mix about 1:4 or 1:5 with hot water. Scrub the leather with a soft brush or a rag with the hot soapy water. This is the BEST way to clean leather. What you do after the leather is clean, is up to you. But just using leather wipes and/or conditioners like Meguiars will just bury the grim, dirt, and oils from your hands and layers of shiny filth start to build.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Leather on your steering wheel gets lots of oil, dirt, and grim on it from your hands. It NEEDS to be washed. "Wipes" and "conditioners" are all worthless. They add an oily shine to the leather to make it "look" good.

Get Whool lite detergent and mix about 1:4 or 1:5 with hot water. Scrub the leather with a soft brush or a rag with the hot soapy water. This is the BEST way to clean leather. What you do after the leather is clean, is up to you. But just using leather wipes and/or conditioners like Meguiars will just bury the grim, dirt, and oils from your hands and layers of shiny filth start to build.

HUGE 2nd on the Woolite. You`ll be in total awe after you see how well it works. First time I did my leather seats I was amazed!

Can I substitute Woolite with any other laundry detergent or Oxiclean, or must I use Woolite specifically to attain the great results you speak of?

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
Can I substitute Woolite with any other laundry detergent or Oxiclean, or must I use Woolite specifically to attain the great results you speak of?

I`d stick with the Woolite as it`s made to be VERY gentle. Take care of that leather properly and it`ll last forever.

Originally Posted By: hisilver
What is the preferred method of cleaning then protecting a leather steering wheel. Mine gets sticky and dirty from sweat and dirt. Does it need anything else but a wipe with a wet paper towel?

I wash my hands frequently. When I have to use anybody else's car, or a rental, I wipe the wheels and controls down with an antibacterial wipe, and I wear gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back