Need a good seal conditioner additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 26 year old small block has started puffing a bit of smoke on start up. Im guessing its valve seals. I also have a bit of a slow rear main leak so I was wondering what you guys have used with success to cure such things. Im already running a thicker oil, but instead of trying 2 or 3 different ones over a few OCI's id like to see what you have to say. I have stayed away from just a high mileage oil cause this engine has a hot flat tappet hydraulic cam and good springs, so it needs ZDDP.

Why not try a good HM oil? That might be all you need. OTOH Lubegard makes a product called Motor Oil Saver which from what I've heard and read is very good.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
OTOH Lubegard makes a product called Motor Oil Saver which from what I've heard and read is very good.

Actually that is made by Lubro Moly (Liqui Moly in Europe).

Originally Posted By: brentalan
Many of the HM oils have added ZDDP

Not from the VOA's that I am seeing. Castrol, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Valvoline all are under what I am running now which is Delo 400 multigrade (not LE. The only high mileage oil I know that has enough zinc would be Mobil 1 but since I do 2k mile oil changes the synthetic is not really needed.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
OTOH Lubegard makes a product called Motor Oil Saver which from what I've heard and read is very good.

Actually that is made by Lubro Moly (Liqui Moly in Europe).

YES I realize that now. I've been talking so much about Bio Tech Engine Protectant I screwed up! Thanks for catching that! The Motor Oil Saver is still a good product!

I agree, Motor Oil Saver seems like a good test product for engine's with seal concerns. It seems to be the real deal from a previous discussion on here.

Justice Bros has their Oil Treatment that has resolved symptoms in a few cars around here. Theres about 3 different versions to choose from, each very different. Tune-Up is very solvent based and cleans stuck/varnished parts. Oil Treatment is the best likely candidate, as it's got some mild cleaning agents and ZDDP alternative...We like this in smoking motors. Theres also a small engine formula.

^Awesome, any Napa should be able to acquire what you want anyway. I only have 1 Napa locally out of 7 or 8 that I know has Lubro Moly...and they have a selection!
banana2.gif

there is one NAPA around here that cant get it. They looked at me like I was dumb when I asked about Lubro Moly anti friction treatment.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I will give that oil saver a shot. NAPA sells Lubro Moly products in my town.

I think you made a wise choice, and the product is reasonably priced. Good luck!

My napa doesn't have it on the shelf. I printed off a picture and description, with part #, from there website, and took it in there to have them order it. I've done this with the LM MOS2. Usually there within a day or 2.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

My 26 year old small block has started puffing a bit of smoke on start up. Im guessing its valve seals.

It is time to replace the Valve Seals, no HM Oil or miracle oil additive will help.

Quote:
I also have a bit of a slow rear main leak so I was wondering what you guys have used with success to cure such things.

Nothing will help you out, you have to much wear in the Crankshaft, is this a 1 piece rear main seal, or is this a 2 piece rear main seal.

Quote:
Im already running a thicker oil, but instead of trying 2 or 3 different ones over a few OCI's id like to see what you have to say. I have stayed away from just a high mileage oil cause this engine has a hot flat tappet hydraulic cam and good springs, so it needs ZDDP.

A thicker oil may cause more problems, try a thinner oil with some MMO, the MMO might just clean the junk around your rear main seal and then you will have less of a leak.

Thicker oil is old school. JMO

Pontiac Fan;
this may be a stupid "?", but - how does cleaning the junk around the seal (by using a thinner oil) physically result in less of a leak ?

If you have an older engine that's been "Sitting" the oil/fluids in it can form a varnish/sticky coating. a thinner oil could get in there and clean it up a little better than a thick one, since it flows into the corners better.

I'd suggest a solvent flush... Gunk Engine Flush before an oil change, or an add-in washer like Justice Bros. Tune Up, or perhaps Rislone or MMO. That frees the stuck parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back