13 months, Valvoline 5w30, 95 Honda, 2.5k miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my girlfriend's car. It is 9 years old and only has 38k miles on it. This OCI was 13 months and 2.5k mile. The oil seen the most part of two winters and I was expecting more iron because of internal rust. I'm glad I was wrong.

Valvoline, 5w-30
95 Honda Accord EX, manual 5 speed with 2.1L 4 cylinders VTEC engine.
Car sits outside for weeks without starting near Massachusetts bay.
BlackStone Labs.

Oil had 2498 miles, 13 months
Makeup oil: 0.
Car had 37,962 miles.

All comments welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

code:

Brand: Valvoline (I think)

Weight: 5W30

Unit Miles: 38000

Oil Miles: 2500

Oil Months: 13

Date: April

-------------+-----

Aluminum 2

Chromium 1

Iron 5

Copper 4

Lead 3

Tin 0

Molybdenum 6

Nickel 0

Manganese 0

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 0

Boron 3

Silicon 5

Sodium 85

Calcium 1320

Magnesium 244

Phosphorus 705

Zinc 792

Barium 0

vis sus@210 56.4

Flash point 395

TBN 3.4

Fuel
Antifreeze ?

Water 0

Insolubles .3

[ May 03, 2004, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: MikeySoft ]

Those numbers are incredible! I too would've expected iron to be much higher given the amount of time the car spends sitting around and having gone through so much cold weather. Valvoline might not be the best choice for racers, but for those who don't like to drive very much it looks good!
grin.gif

Very excellent report. The one thing is the sodium which I am gonna guess is a mistake bc everything else is so good. If it were a coolant leak the potassium would probably be higher also. Still it bears watching. But other than that-great report.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Very excellent report. The one thing is the sodium which I am gonna guess is a mistake bc everything else is so good. If it were a coolant leak the potassium would probably be higher also. Still it bears watching. But other than that-great report.
grin.gif

The lab also noted that the sodium was high but did not think it was a coolant leak because of zero potassium. They asked if I had any additive or maybe used different oil. No additive was used and I believe the oil was Valvoline because it was change at a quick lube place in March 2003 that advertises Valvoline and I change the oil in April 2004 with Pennzoil 5w30. They also said to keep an eye on the sodium.

The air filter was recently just change for the first time. Could the sodium be road salt from two New England winters?

[ May 03, 2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: MikeySoft ]

Great report even considering the anemic Valvoline add pack. No sense in changing anything if it works for you! Hopefully that high sodium is just an error...
cheers.gif

This UOA is a testamanet to the engine in that car. Obviously that engine is a sound design and the girl friend must drive like a little old lady!

No wear from sitting. 2500 miles in 13 months...wow, she must warm it nicely and do some freeway driving? If not then this is a good engine with a solid oil!

Almost like the Na is an artifact, ie sample contamination (or from road NaCl)....

quote:

Originally posted by seotaji:
just to let you know.

2.2L sohc vtec engine.

This F22B1 looks like a very good engine! I have the same car (95 Accord EX) with 117,000 miles, and it runs absolutely beautifully. It feels likle a new car! I'm gonna change the oil out at 120,000, and then do a UOA at 125k, and 130k. I'll be using M1 5W-40, we'll see if they can look as good as this report!

Ive got a 96 with 126,000 miles and im getting some hesistation, though, i think the injectors are going out on me
frown.gif
. Im also about to ARX it this coming week. The guy who owned it before me abused it I believe, as the oil has always been kinda dark, even 10 minutes after an oil change. We'll see how it does. (By the way, I bought it at 61,000 and immedately switched it to M1)

Yes, an excellent report ... and it goes more to the point that oil sitting in a sump is not that different from oil sitting in a bottle. It'll keep for a year or more, no problem.

I bet when the car was started, it was driven for at least 20 minutes most of the time.

But if the car had some sort of minor problem like a coolant leak, a bigger air intake leak and/or leaky injectors, corrosion might be more of a problem.
dunno.gif

The salt is probably a combination of sea salt (Mass Bay is Boston area, correct?) as well as road salt.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back