V100C 8.3
TAN 2.65
Flash 365
Oxid 53
NIT 14
TBN 3.0
KF 469

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Dang I would go a year plus with that. I know a lot of guys would say you are killing the engine etc. Just take it on a good drive every once in awhile.

Even with that TBN?

In the conditions described, it seems hard on the oil for such short trips and not being driven far enough(mileage wise). That is a very low number of miles driven in 6 months, and if a good deal of the trips to work 1 mile one way? That isn't even enough to get out of open loop. The oil is in a lame service. Unless the miles driven per trip are extended, I think 6 months is a good settling point for a re-sample of your next fill. Possibly can make 8 months in the current conditions. That'd be close to 2750 miles.

Last edited:
I don't know if the oil's to blame due to the driving conditions. Barely gets even warm, not hot. I'd switch to MC 5w20 and change every 3k.

And do a highway run every other week.

Originally Posted By: johnnydc
That is alot of iron for such a short oci. Also a low TBN for 2400 miles on oil. Not to stout.
You have to realize how any oil holds up has to do with the operation the vehicle. this oil spends most of its life in the warm up phase of engine operation which when the wear is highest due to the metals not being expanded the air fuel mixture at is richest to allow the engine to run and possible to get the cats up to temperatures as soon as possible and there is lots of condensation that doesn't get evaporated so the tbn drops quickly fron combating the formations of acids. I would use a dino for this operation and IMO the oil change intervals fit the vehivle use. Good call on the OCIs . Now look at this uoa for example and note the use of the vehicle "probably"could be considered ideal for long oil life. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2310861[/url]

Good call on the OCI! Good thing you didn't go the suggested 1 year OCI. Try their XL oil, if you plan on sticking with Amsoil, and change it every 6 months. JMO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Dang I would go a year plus with that. I know a lot of guys would say you are killing the engine etc. Just take it on a good drive every once in awhile.

Even with that TBN?

Oh you're right.....
blush.gif

I admit I did not really look at the UOA just the miles and time.......That thing just chewed up and spit that oil out....Does this thing get warmed up at all?

This is severe service because you never get the oil warmed up.

The iron level is 14.6 ppm per 1k miles, which is a little high. And you have taken an oil with a starting TBN of 12.6 down to 3.0 (a 76% drop in TBN) and your TAN is almost equal to your TBN. Bottom line is that this oil is exhausted.

This is an example of why a UOA is important if you plan on following the 1 year or 15,000 mile SS recommendation Amsoil set. In ~ 5000 miles or 1 year this oil would have been causing the OP problems IMO.

Please note Amsoil lovers, I'm not bashing the product, I'm making a point which I've been flamed for in the past. A blanket statement of 1 year or 15K miles was wrong! All of them have their exceptions, including Mobil 1 EP had it been used here. This example proves my point. BTW Amsoil ASM IIRC suggested 1 year and even higher miles than their current 0W20 Signature Series Oil. Again JMO.

I agree 100% that is why blanket oci are so wrong. Philly is a tough place to drive on top of that. This is really a killer but you gotta do what you gotta do. Either way I hope this makes people realize each case is seperate when it comes to oci.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I'm pretty sure THIS is why Amsoil doesn't recommend "one year".

Unless it is somewhere else in the fine print, it looks like Severe Service is one yr, or 15K miles. If it is in the fine print then the OP should use a cheaper oil and change it in 6 months and compare results. Keep in mind the OP drove 6 months. JMO

From Amsoil:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
It's "up to" the miles or "up to" the one year.

How'd I know that was coming?
smile.gif

Here's how my my business thinking legal mind works, this is a discussion not an argument.

They say: • Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

I read it as up to 15,000 miles or 1 year. Meaning get it out in a year if you drove less than 15,000 miles. You say "up to" 1 year, they should say that too, they don't.

Here's what it should say to eliminate confusion, perhaps at the cost of sales but...............Severe Service up to 15,000 miles, or up to one year. Now someone might ask what does that mean? It means Dude you better test that oil if you plan on keeping it in your car for a year, or 15,000 miles for that matter. JMO

I'm with Frank, when they say "whichever comes first", they are saying you better get it out of there if it's been one year or if it's been 15k miles. Big fail in this case.

I would say the oil did an outstanding job. I would add the oil heald up and did its claimed job, the numbers aren't bad considering most of the uoa postings are on oil changes that are usually too soon . I read the UP TO in the sentence meaning both miles and time [1 year]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back