Anything equivelent to Zerex G-05 yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see there is a rebate right now on the Prestone stuff, but I really would prefer to us ea 'premium' coolant, I've always like the G-05 and run it in almost everything, but was curious if there was anything similar, thats commonly available, thats the same price or less??

go5 going away..ford stopped using it...leaves deposits..they have gone to the orange universal stuff...final charge hd is the best...has no nitrites,boates,silicates, and phosphates...its in all their new vehicles...i trashed all the g05 in my vehicles and put in final charge.you can get final charge by peak at pep boys...also there is clear choice same coolant..google them both.

Last edited:
O'Reilly carries Pentosin Pentofrost. I bought some Pentofrost NF there for my BMW bike, as it is supposed to be pretty close to G48. Pentosin There may be something among their line that floats yer boat?

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
go5 going away..ford stopped using it...leaves deposits..they have gone to the orange universal stuff...final charge hd is the best...has no nitrites,boates,silicates, and phosphates...its in all their new vehicles...i trashed all the g05 in my vehicles and put in final charge.you can get final charge by peak at pep boys...also there is clear choice same coolant..google them both.

boxcar, could you link me to your sources that confirm G05 leaves deposits? I am not aware of this problem.

And, "IF" this article is correct, Ford is not simply switching to dexcool type coolant without making changes to accommodate the potential problems associated with dexcool.

http://www.automotivedesign.eu.com/artic...ldwide-use.aspx

the final charge has no 2eha as dexcool has. final chg is a oat coolant and its what going to replace all coolants within the next couple of years..silicates and phosphates in g05 leaving deposits and nitrites reacting to heater core metals...just as the above article says....final charge is a heavt duty coolant way over kill for our cars but well worth the switch.i got my info. from our gearhead radio show on sat here in denver/they had guests from coolant industry on the program...also some tech news....auto tech news of whats going on in the industry..really informative..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
the final charge has no 2eha as dexcool has. final chg is a oat coolant and its what going to replace all coolants within the next couple of years..silicates and phosphates in g05 leaving deposits and nitrites reacting to heater core metals...just as the above article says....final charge is a heavt duty coolant way over kill for our cars but well worth the switch.i got my info. from our gearhead radio show on sat here in denver/they had guests from coolant industry on the program...also some tech news....auto tech news of whats going on in the industry..really informative..

Not enough info to answer my questions, boxcartommie22!

I don't take the article by Paul Weissler I linked to as the gospel either. It is just an article. So, as always, the coolant confusion continues.

No where in the article does it mention deposits as a problem with G05 or that G05 was problematic for Ford. The article indicates Ford is moving to a single coolant for global marketing economy and OAT is their choice.

Not only OAT, but one with 2eha, which kind of deflates the argument against that component.....to some degree.

G05 does not have phosphates, as you explain above.

And, the move away from nitrites, IMO, is probably to address the global marketing pressure and economize. John Deere did the same thing recently so they could supply one coolant in the U.S. and Europe.

Having said all this, I still am curious about the Final Charge, but PEAK is so secretive about their products. If it is the holy grail, why is Ford, for instance, not using the same exact formula, sans 2eha?

I hope your enthusiasm is correct! This coolant mess is crazy and it is fascinating that the global automotive engineers don't agree on what's best.

Take care.

I'll remain skeptical about all the manufacturers moving to this new formulation until I see it happen.

Ford isn't going to spend big $$$ to redesign their cooling system components to use Dex, only to switch to another coolant type a couple of years down the road. Things like this switch are long term investments.

FWIW, I don't believe a word of the deposit issue with G-05. So, I'm guessing the simple answer to my question was 'no'??

It has been suggested that Final Charge is the same (or very similar) to the exclusive PEAK Global (non 2-EHA) stuff.
If it is it's somewhat of a bargain at $11 for the 50/50 stuff at Pep Boys.

Originally Posted By: KenO
FWIW, I don't believe a word of the deposit issue with G-05. So, I'm guessing the simple answer to my question was 'no'??

Sorry to get off topic, but yes, the answer to your question would be "no".

Now Ford and Chrysler both have GO5 on their dealer shelves... Ford's is Motorcraft Premium Gold and Chrysler's is sold under the Mopar brand as.... I'm not too sure. It's pink and is advertised as 5yr/ 100k or 150k coolant.

Yeah that is nonsense about desposits from G05.

Completely false information.

The closest thing to G 05 is from BASF and it is called G 48. Many of the Europeans use this exact formula or one that is very close.

I see there is a rebate right now on the Prestone stuff, but I really would prefer to us ea 'premium' coolant, I've always like the G-05 and run it in almost everything, but was curious if there was anything similar, thats commonly available, thats the same price or less??

Go wiyh Peak Global

it is true about go5 leaving deposites heavy with nitrites eats away at alot of metals also...this is what i learned...silicates leave deposits..fwiw...peak's final charge global..needless to say i was suprised my self whan i learned this about global..left deposites in my overflow tank too..

Last edited:
My experience with go-5,12 years ,two Grand marquis,one Ranger,470,000 miles,absolutely no cooling system problems.I drain and refill every 2 to 3 years.

All the misinformation about G-05 is pretty amazing. Its probably the overall best product out there today, and definitely the one most suited to retrofitting into older vehicles as conventional inorganic coolant gets harder to find.

I don't understand how there can be a deposit problem with G05 when for the past 8 years my car has run on Mopar Extended Life (G05) and I have 0 deposits floating through the system or in the reservoir...

I wish the auto parts stores would carry G48 from BASF, it is the universal standard for all European cars, (another words all late model European cars can switch to this and operate as well as on OEM type with a couple of very rare exceptions.

Anyone know of any places that do carry BASF branded G 48 in the USA?

Not to be confused with the stuff the US calls universal or Dexcool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back