AC Delco 5W-30 dexos1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a quart at my local Chevy dealer for $5.68. I just dropped off a virgin sample at one of my local oil analysis companies here in Portland. I should have it back early next week.

My parents bought a 2011 Chevy Cruze 5 months ago. What I have read is this AC Delco oil is the Factory Fill and what the dealers use for oil changes on all 2011+ models that call for a dexos1 oil.

Do you guys think this is Mobil Clean 7500? I remember when I owned my 03 Saab. The dealer use to stock a SAAB Synblend 5W-30 and Saab Synthetic 0W-30 that was made by Mobil in Europe. I know stuff is made in USA. So that's why I think it's just relabeled Mobil Clean 7500.

001-8.jpg

002-9.jpg

What I don't get is this: doesn't the owner's manual call for an oil that has the API starburst on it? I've seen precious few OEM oils that technically meet this requirement. It's also interesting that the copyright date on the bottle is 1995. I didn't know they had the dexos1 specification back then!

That sure does look like a Mobil bottle to me. Thanks for the pictures!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
What I don't get is this: doesn't the owner's manual call for an oil that has the API starburst on it? I've seen precious few OEM oils that technically meet this requirement. It's also interesting that the copyright date on the bottle is 1995. I didn't know they had the dexos1 specification back then!

That sure does look like a Mobil bottle to me. Thanks for the pictures!

I think from quotes that have been posted the manual calls for dexos 1 and if that is not available use an API SN starburst oil.

I'll agree, looks like a Mobil bottle.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Syn-blend for almost $6/qt is a rip-off. M1 is $5/qt in 5-qt jug or less than $7 in quart bottle at WM.

I would buy Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 EP anyday over this at $5.68 a quart. I want to see what the add pack looks like. If it comes out looking strong. Then I will keep the FF in my parents Cruze until the OLM hits 10%. I read that it will go off around 11K-12K in the new 2011+ GM's. My parents Cruze will most likely see Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 for its life.

I don't understand how a blend can meet the supposedly super stringent 4718 Corvette standard and supersede it. I just can't comprehend it. Is the new SN-Dexos blend really that good compared to the old SM blends that weren't OK for the 4718 spec????

Here is a VOA of the Mobil Clean 7500 from back in 06. I would assume it's SM rated. We will compare when I get back the VOA.

mobil-7500-5w30.jpg

Supposedly the Dexos 'blend' from GM is a stronger 'blend' than M-7500. I've heard 40%, while most brand name blends are 20-30% synthetic.
My 2¢

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
What I have read is this AC Delco oil is the Factory Fill and what the dealers use for oil changes on all 2011+ models that call for a dexos1 oil.

Not around here. The local Chevrolet dealer buys Service Pro full synthetic Dexos 1 from us for this purpose.

That oil bottle is 100% XOM, as others have said. Interesting about I having NO API starburst - I guess GM thinks Dexos 1 is a better spec than the API, so that is what it is focused on.

Even though it is a syn-blend, I predict this Dexos oil won't look a thing like Mobil 7500. I think it will have more moly, more calcium, and no sodium detergent. Just a guess......

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Even though it is a syn-blend, I predict this Dexos oil won't look a thing like Mobil 7500. I think it will have more moly, more calcium, and no sodium detergent. Just a guess......

Pretty good gueses, addy.
72ppm Moly.
boatload of Calcium
No sodium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back