Quaker State Synthetic 5w-40 European Spec Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can this oil be used in the following vehicles:

2005 BMW X5
2004 Toyota Tundra
2009 Chevy Camaro
2004 Cadillac Escalade

Please advise immediately because my local Big Lots have plenty of this oil on sale..

In my opinion, yes to all of the above.

Caveat: I would not use it in something if you are documenting maintenance for warranty purposes, because it's not likely approved for the Toyota/GM vehicles you have. It may be an approved grade for the BMW.

Originally Posted By: pglover19
Can this oil be used in the following vehicles:

2005 BMW X5

Does it carry the LL-01 spec on the back label? If so, yes.

It does carry the LL-01 for the BMW but I'm certain the viscosity grade is wrong for the other applications.

With that being said, I bought 13 quarts of it (all they had) and plan to use it in my BMW and my Nissan. It will work wonderfully I am sure.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
It does carry the LL-01 for the BMW

So, is it basically the same oil as Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It does carry the LL-01 for the BMW

So, is it basically the same oil as Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40?

Might be similar,just the different additives.

I have snagged 66 qts of this.

I should be set for a while:)

The store Big Lots also has 0w-20, 5w-20, 5w-30, 10W-30 and 5w-50

I looked at the specs on all of them.

Since I have a good stash of 5w-30 and 10w-30 I am not interested in those.

Does anyone know how good the 0w-20 QS Ultimate Durability is?

I pulled the data sheet and MSDS for the Quaker State product and wrote to Shell requesting to know the relationship between the Quaker State, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. I haven't heard back from them.

They all have the same verbage in the MSDS but the KV @ 100ºC ws different between the QS and the Shell Helix.

I hope to hear back from Shell to see if they'll share any info.

I just checked it against PUE 5w-40. Both 40C and 100C kinematic visc as well as pour points are identical. There are slight differences in flash point, HT/HS and NOACK though...

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Does anyone know how good the 0w-20 QS Ultimate Durability is?

Not objectively, but my Toyota dealer put it in my former 2011 Camry during one of the maintenance stops and the engine sounded quiet and ran smooth. Subjectively, I liked it better than the Toyota oil they had used before because it was a little quieter, but objectively, I'm sure it makes no difference.

It's a good oil. Once they start bottling it in 5-quart jugs, I'd buy it.

I have stock piled enought for 2 to 3 years of oil changes. Does oil go bad? Just checking to determine if I need to take some quarts back to Big Lot for a refund. Please advise...

Last edited:
Hang onto them. You'll use them eventually. If you haven't noticed, oil prices just keep going up. Consider this your way of dollar cost averaging.

Shell wrote me back this afternoon and said that the basestock for their three products is the same but that the additive packages are all different and that the Europe specific product (Shell Helix) is made for a different and more demanding market.

So, it appears that the QS isn't the same as the PP and neither of them are the equal of the Shell Helix that's sold through Ferrari dealerships here in North America.

I'm still glad I got what I did. I'd buy more if they had it.

and that the Europe specific product (Shell Helix) is made for a different and more demanding market.

Do you believe it? To me, that sounds like marketing hogwash that was made up to justify a likely higher price that the Ferrari dealers charge for this product. All three products list the exact same mfg specs.

My local Ferrari dealership actually uses QS. When they told me they didn't carry Pennzoil Ultra or Shell Helix, I stuck my nose in the air and walked back to my 8 year old Subaru sitting amongst a sea of new Ferrari's and drove away.
lol.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
If you have one near you, Ollie's is also selling this oil at $3.99/qt. They also had the 5W-50 and some of the rare 0W-20 at the same price.
The one I checked out had two cases and some odd quarts of the 5W-40.
I'm tempted to buy the 5W-40.
You couldn't get it when it was supposedly a front line product, but it's now fairly cheap on clearance at retailers who specialize in buying out others old stock.

How much is the QS 5w-40 selling for at Big Lots? Can those of you that bought it look at the bottles and see how old this oil is? Is it current production or is it some very old stock? Didn't this oil get replaced by PU 5w-40?

The product data sheet that I have for the QS, dated September 2010, shows a couple of minor differences between the Pennzoil and the QS.
Gravity: 34.8 QS vs. 34.0 PZ
Flash Point: 440 QS vs. 420 PZ
HT/HS vis: 3.5 cp QS vs. 3.68 cp PZ
NOACK: 12.0 QS vs. 11 PZ.

These aren't huge and are possibly within a margin of error for testing but they do come from the mfgr's published data sheets.

Ok.. I need some more help..

So for the 2005 BMW X5, the 5w-40 European Oil is can be used. Which weight should I get for the 2004 Toyota Tundra? My local Big Lots has the 0w-20 and other weights as well.. Please advise immediately..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back