Which synthetic is running the most ZDDP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post so hello to everyone.

I am just curious. Who might still carry high ZDDP in their modern formulas....as opposed to adding it from a treatment.Due to the fact I don't have a catalytic to concern over.

If you would also share out some of the acronyms used often here it would be great as well....im stuck on UOA or OUA(I think) But I got OCI and VI....and quite a few others figured out so far.

Appreciate all the knowledge shared. This site gets a strange rap for being over analytical but let them cry over their dryed and badly chaffed crank bearings I say.....I think you are all awesome.

Used Oil analysis...vs. virgin oil analysis
Oil Change Interval, a.k.a. oil drain interval
Viscosity Index (the relative viscosity change from 40°C to 100°C)

Highest zddp in a syn is probably Amsoil.

UOA - Used Oil Analysis. VOA - Virgin (new) Oil Analysis

Not sure about others, but most of the HDEO's (Heavy Duty Engine Oils), the Rotella's, Mobil Delvac's, etc., still have high concentrations of ZDDP.

UOA: Used Oil Analysis

As far as high ZDDP I would not have a clue, why are you opposed to adding a treatment of it when changing oil?

Redline racing oils have 2500ppm of Phosphorous. These are very low ash, low TBN oils and are not recommended for the street, and require short OCI's.
Mobil 1 Racing 0w30 & 0w50 have 1750ppm of Phosphorous. Also, these oils are not recommended for street use, can only be bought on the Mobil website, and are ~$17/qt.
Redline street oils have at least 1300ppm, and maybe as much as 1500ppm. The VOA's for Redline on this site were done at Blackstone labs, which is usually ~15% low on their Phos readings.
Brad Penn synthetic blends have 1400ppm. They are very good oils, and not as expensive as M1.
Since you are looking for a synthetic, I won't mention Valvoline VR1, which has 1300ppm.
wink.gif

Valvoline VR1 Synthetic 20w50 has 1300ppm.
M1 15w50 has 1200ppm.

If you're looking for a synthetic 30-weight street oil with high zddp, there are not a lot of them out there. Redline I think makes the ones with the highest-content additive packages and have the highest film strength for a given viscosity class.
But since your 1995 Camaro has a roller follower valvetrain, why are you looking for a high-zddp oil?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: License2ILL
Here some interesting readings for you guys:
zddp article

And what exactly is the relevance here? The typical "racing" and HDEO have 1300 ppm or less Zn/P.
It is way better than oil 101 everybody quotes from.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Redline racing oils have 2500ppm of Phosphorous. These are very low ash, low TBN oils and are not recommended for the street, and require short OCI's.
Mobil 1 Racing 0w30 & 0w50 have 1750ppm of Phosphorous. Also, these oils are not recommended for street use, can only be bought on the Mobil website, and are ~$17/qt.
Redline street oils have at least 1300ppm, and maybe as much as 1500ppm. The VOA's for Redline on this site were done at Blackstone labs, which is usually ~15% low on their Phos readings.
Brad Penn synthetic blends have 1400ppm. They are very good oils, and not as expensive as M1.
Since you are looking for a synthetic, I won't mention Valvoline VR1, which has 1300ppm.
wink.gif

Valvoline VR1 Synthetic 20w50 has 1300ppm.
M1 15w50 has 1200ppm.

If you're looking for a synthetic 30-weight street oil with high zddp, there are not a lot of them out there. Redline I think makes the ones with the highest-content additive packages and have the highest film strength for a given viscosity class.
But since your 1995 Camaro has a roller follower valvetrain, why are you looking for a high-zddp oil?

Thanks great info...i'll rummage over the Brad Penn oil as well. Altho I am very much sold on the Redline.

The LT1 does have a roller camshaft...but the ZDDP can still serve it well. I'm reading up mostly but I do respect the manufacturers additive packages from their factories. So just wanted to be aware of options. As well as I definitely do not agree that converters should have been a good enough reason to lower what the oil industry had in it's previous formulas. It's an alteration with a stupid reasoning behind it...likely mostly to cover the arses of the warranty periods involved and nothing more. That raises a flag to me and the better interest's of my "old faithful". So let's just say I don't want to necessarily go with their flow. And my engine is close family to older designs IMO.

Last edited:
If you can handle the price (MANY on this site have a problem with that, and cannot justify it for ANY reason, no matter HOW great the product), you are not going to be able to do much better than Red Line as far as a stout add pack, and high group 5/polyol ester content base stocks go.
thumbsup2.gif

I am just curious. Who might still carry high ZDDP in their modern formulas....as opposed to adding it from a treatment.Due to the fact I don't have a catalytic to concern over.

If you would also share out some of the acronyms used often here it would be great as well....im stuck on UOA or OUA(I think) But I got OCI and VI....and quite a few others figured out so far.

Appreciate all the knowledge shared. This site gets a strange rap for being over analytical but let them cry over their dryed and badly chaffed crank bearings I say.....I think you are all awesome.

VR1 non-synthetic would be a good choice for you. As much as you think you do, you don't need a synthetic. I'm making many more HP per CI than you and my motor is happy with the aforementioned oil.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
If you can handle the price (MANY on this site have a problem with that, and cannot justify it for ANY reason, no matter HOW great the product), you are not going to be able to do much better than Red Line as far as a stout add pack, and high group 5/polyol ester content base stocks go.
thumbsup2.gif

Well the price is nothing to sneeze at but I'm looking at the top off technique and maybe 6500 oci (
How do u like it in the T56? U like that weight? I run the stock recom. stuff with Lucas manual. But I really need to refresh this gearbox.

It's an american made product and its well balanced.

Originally Posted By: TurboTravis

VR1 non-synthetic would be a good choice for you. As much as you think you do, you don't need a synthetic. I'm making many more HP per CI than you and my motor is happy with the aforementioned oil.

I checked on it but the main reason synth is so attractive to me is how well it flows up CCS...and it's modernized attrib. Im not knocking what u like tho....do u know what the HTHS is on the oil u run?
Also looked up their syn VR1 but it would not load the page.
I run max life on my other car. And I like the price for return on the Valvoline stuff...they're run a good add pack.

I think the HTHS or anti shearing strength is also a worthwhile thing to look at when it comes to synth....correct me if im wrong tho.

gotta love that LT-1 motor I have one in a 95 Corvette 6 speed.

Here's a tip though, this is a message board, not a texting board-abbreviations like u for you and 2 for two are not always considered polite

I've not seen more than 1300ppm or so on a street oil. I believe that was the upper limit allowed by API SJ or SL.

Originally Posted By: steve20
gotta love that LT-1 motor I have one in a 95 Corvette 6 speed.

Here's a tip though, this is a message board, not a texting board-abbreviations like u for you and 2 for two are not always considered polite

I hate lt engine, after owning a ls1 engine, never look back, im selling my lt1 camaro atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back