Which of these Mobil 1 oils will be better for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a supercharged ecotec with 90k that is currently filled with GC, however I work for a competing parts chain and was able to get M1 (5qt and filter sale, plus 2 discounted) at nearly half the cost of my last GC fill.

This engine is one of those Mobil 1 "factory fill" cars, so I folded and picked up 7qts of standard 5w-30. I was eyeing the 0w-40 pretty hard, should I fill with 5w-30 or trade to 0w-40?

This engine sees some rather high intake, combustion, and exhaust temps due to the nature of the roots-type. It also sees full load and high rpm on a regular basis.

Please don't recommend a non-M1 oil for this change, feel free to recommend a future change though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, M1 5-30 is one of the better oils for high temp operations, like turbos. The Honda HTO-06 spec for low deposite, high heat resistant comes to mind. Also Corvette use it for it's temp control ability.

I would not hesitate to run M1 5w30 in that engine. I'm not sure if the 0w40 is really needed, but i'm sure it wouldn't hurt. You could even consider running the 0w30 if you're worried about cold start-up wear.

OTOH, it's hard to beat GC!

Last edited:
I'd go for the 0W40. That engine isn't all that easy on oil, and 0W40 is probably the most similar to what you're using now. I know that on my old car, which was a high-boosted/output engine, GC, M1 0W40 and the OEM oil were 3 of the only oils which met the car's spec's. I'd never before heard of M1's 0W30 referred to as a "stout" oil. It's a low (3.0) hths oil which tends to shear.

Given the motor and your driving habits, that's what I'd use.

For the future: I would run Redline, whatever grade you prefer, keeping in mind that Redline HTHS is usually that of the next higher grade.

I would consider:
M1 5w30
M1 5w30 HM
M1 0w40

Tough to pick among these 3. They'll all do the job. Does your engine require an SM or SL oil? If SL, I would pick the HM. If SM, just the plain ol' M1. I don't think your engine needs the high HTHS of the 0w40.

How about a wild-card pick of 50/50 0w30 and 0w40? This would be good if you want to get enhanced low-temperature flow combined with high temperature protection. This is the "Caterham Cocktail".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 06jds377
I have a supercharged ecotec with 90k that is currently filled with GC, however I work for a competing parts chain and was able to get M1 (5qt and filter sale, plus 2 discounted) at nearly half the cost of my last GC fill.

This engine is one of those Mobil 1 "factory fill" cars, so I folded and picked up 7qts of standard 5w-30. I was eyeing the 0w-40 pretty hard, should I fill with 5w-30 or trade to 0w-40?

This engine sees some rather high intake, combustion, and exhaust temps due to the nature of the roots-type. It also sees full load and high rpm on a regular basis.

Please don't recommend a non-M1 oil for this change, feel free to recommend a future change though.

Of your options, I would choose the oil that meets OEM specifications of your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Iain
Of your options, I would choose the oil that meets OEM specifications of your vehicle.

Agreed.

What are those specs, by the way?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Iain

Agreed.

What are those specs, by the way?
wink.gif

+1

Not positive, GM4718M?

That's quite a thing not to be sure of, wouldn't you say?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
How about a wild-card pick of 50/50 0w30 and 0w40? This would be good if you want to get enhanced low-temperature flow combined with high temperature protection. This is the "Caterham Cocktail".

^^^This, or run the 0W-40 in the summer, and the 5W-30 HM in the winter.
wink.gif

Nice car, if they were offered with AWD I'd be driving one now (but probably the turbo version)!

Thanks, I'm willing to let it go.
smile.gif

Currently trying to work out a trade for a C5.

What makes the M1 HM so much better than the standard oil? I'm new to this..

What makes the M1 HM so much better than the standard oil? I'm new to this..

It's just a little more stout than the standard M1 in a couple of different ways:
HTHS is 3.3 vs 3.1
Phos content is 1000ppm vs 800

I ran one OCI on HM 5w30 last year and burned 1/2-quart in 5500 miles.
On regular M1 5w30, oil consumption was more like 1/2-qt in 4000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back