Chevrolet Impala owners file lawsuit against GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom has an 07; we've had it aligned 3 times now and even though the alignment looks good on paper, it chews threw rear ties in 20,000 miles and they also become scalloped/cupped. THANK YOU for posting this article; we just had the alignment done AGAIN and new tires put on it last Friday. If you research it, there have been a few very serious wrecks from this where 07/08 Impala's had the cords showing on the inside of the rear tires and they blew out.

I'm going to try contacting the law firm that's doing this - we've spent probably 2 grand needlessly in tires and alignments.

Good ol General Motors - the best car company a government can bailout.

Last edited:
Why not just unload the vehicle and call it a day? There is probably more hassle in getting involved with the suit and who knows if you will ever get any money out of it.

Alignments cost under $100 up here and 2 tires is ~$250. After the second set of tires and alignments within a short amount of time I would've pull the plug and got rid of it, but that's just me...

Last edited:
You will probably get a check for $10 or something and the law firm will walk away with millions.

If they fix the spindle rods, that's good enough for me. Now that I know what the problem is, I'll probably have them replaced and talk to the dealer about it. They've been pretty good to us about the other problems on this car - mainly the head and crossover pipe gaskets.

The TSB is 08032a. It looks like the remedy is to retrofit 2000-2005 W-body spindle rods. GM supplies a kit containing all four rods for $298.25. The part number is 19208347.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
You will probably get a check for $10 or something and the law firm will walk away with millions.

We got the cost of the first intake gasket repair reimbursed for my Pop's Blazer under the Dexcool class action suit. That was about 500 bucks if I remember correctly.

Why do my parents still insist on buying General Motors.
facepalm.gif

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock
The TSB is 08032a. It looks like the remedy is to retrofit 2000-2005 W-body spindle rods. GM supplies a kit containing all four rods for $298.25. The part number is 19208347.

Thanks Stu!

I think the local dealerships are stocking those as I speak...

I was at one yesterday, and they ordered a few...

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
THANK YOU for posting this article; we just had the alignment done AGAIN and new tires put on it last Friday.

Drew, glad I helped you out. I had never heard of this before, so I just wanted to get a gut-check to see if this had any validity. I guess it does.

Quote:
A similar situation happened with Ford back in the late 70s / early 80s. Ford recalled engine cooling flex fans because of reported failures that sent the blades flying. Some of them failed while mechanics were working under the hood, and injuring them! - hence the safety recall.

I had one fail in my car. I went to the dealer looking for satisfaction. They pulled up the info on the computer and said, "Sorry, your 351 engine doesn't qualify. The recall is for the 400 engine". As if engine size has anything to do with rpm or the design of the fan!! No mention in the media that this was a "partial recall".

The moral of the story is that NHTSA seems to give the car companies a break - recall just enough to appease the media, but don't bankrupt the companies because they haven't thoroughly tested their product.

I know a guy that lost a fan blade from that era Ford. He said they were driving home past the lake and the hood jumped up and they watched the fan blade fly through the air for about a few hundred yards into the lake. Put a hole right through the hood.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: tmorris1

We got the cost of the first intake gasket repair reimbursed for my Pop's Blazer under the Dexcool class action suit. That was about 500 bucks if I remember correctly.

Why do my parents still insist on buying General Motors.
facepalm.gif

I wish they had done that for the intake manifold gaskets in the 3.4L as well. I went through 2 intakes and then a head gasket the 3rd time.

I have no ideal why anyone would put up with this for so long. Intake and head gasket ought to last the life of the engine. Meaning it gets replaced when the engine needs to be rebuilt. I gave up on GM back in the 90's when every one of my buddies GM was tossing Alternators then electrical gremlins on my sisters cavalier meant it had to be left several times. Not all GM are problematic but I have never had much personal luck with them.

I haven't bought one since. Makes it an even easier decision when the government owns part of it now.

They redesign the engine so coolant doesn't go through the intake, but now chronic gaskets failures are showing up in the head gaskets and the gaskets that seal the crossover pipe that carries coolant between the heads.
33.gif

GM Head gaskets

Last edited:
Seems every manufacturer tries to avoid fixing defective products.
Goes back to the exploding pinto which would have required a $6 fix per vehicle.
Lawsuits are cheaper I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back