What happened!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure looks like a cut. May not have happened right there, so you may never know what did it. It could have held on (literally by a thread :)) for a bit an with a small impact, boom.

Boy that looks like it might have been a defective tire. That is a blowout at a weak spot, especially since they are so new and you could not find any glass, rocks etc. That is a really clean blow-out IMO.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: OilNerd
Good thing you don't drive a Chevy Cruze -- they don't come with a spare tire anymore, just an inflator and some sealant.

Umm..you can still add one for 100 bucks to any model.

Paying for a doughnut spare. That's a new one to me.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Good thing you don't drive a Chevy Cruze -- they don't come with a spare tire anymore, just an inflator and some sealant.

Not true. It's an optional extra, for $100, and you can get it from the dealer. Both mine and my dad's have them. They are doughnut, but better than nothing at all.

My point was that it is no longer "standard" equipment on the Cruze -- i.e. comes with EVERY car. Having to pay for a doughnut is a scam.

No, spare tires no longer come with all cars. Inflator kits are the new thing. Lower weight = higher mileage remember. (Thats the mfr. Reason). It seems pretty well spread across many manufacturers, foreign and domestic. I guess all the electronics and airbags had to be made up for somehow.

Not true. It's an optional extra, for $100, and you can get it from the dealer. Both mine and my dad's have them. They are doughnut, but better than nothing at all.

My point was that it is no longer "standard" equipment on the Cruze -- i.e. comes with EVERY car. Having to pay for a doughnut is a scam.

A BMW M5 doesn't come with a spare. And they are hardly "cheap". I noticed that when I was shopping for one.

Now on the BMW it is supposedly done to retain the 50/50 weight balance (the same reason the battery is located in a deep recess in the trunk) but I was still surprised by it.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
A BMW M5 doesn't come with a spare. And they are hardly "cheap". I noticed that when I was shopping for one.

Now on the BMW it is supposedly done to retain the 50/50 weight balance

But you would think that adding a spare in the back would help achieve this 50/50 weight balance, to offset the weight of the engine up front.

Like others have said, weight. And also, how many people even know how to change a tire these days. 90% of the population is just going to call AAA or similar if they get a flat tire because they have absolutely no clue how changing a spare tire works anyway.

90% of the population is just going to call AAA or similar if they get a flat tire because they have absolutely no clue how changing a spare tire works anyway.

And what is AAA going to do if the tire is not repairable? Flatbed I guess...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Now on the BMW it is supposedly done to retain the 50/50 weight balance

But you would think that adding a spare in the back would help achieve this 50/50 weight balance, to offset the weight of the engine up front.

Apparently the battery does that, LOL!

Apparently the battery does that, LOL!

I've got both the battery (pretty big one too) and a full spare in the back, and I'm probably still not at 50/50. But it ain't an M5 either.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
90% of the population is just going to call AAA or similar if they get a flat tire because they have absolutely no clue how changing a spare tire works anyway.

And what is AAA going to do if the tire is not repairable? Flatbed I guess...

Yes.

A flatbed tow to a tire shop, all because of a $100 spare tire delete.

You done good buying the "kit". They should all have them. Even if the owner doesn't know how to change a flat, a good samaritan, local police officer, or AAA/tow company can't install a spare that's not there. Necessitating a tow to save the weight of a spare tire is funny to me.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
A flatbed tow to a tire shop, all because of a $100 spare tire delete.

You done good buying the "kit". They should all have them. Even if the owner doesn't know how to change a flat, a good samaritan, local police officer, or AAA/tow company can't install a spare that's not there. Necessitating a tow to save the weight of a spare tire is funny to me.

The manufacturer probably gets a CAFE credit for the mileage "saved".

Chris,
closest I've seen to that failure (almost identical) is the right angled corner of a wooden pallet that pushed a triangular flap into the sidewall...failure took place about 5 minutes after I backed into the pallet, at around 80km/hr.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I know it was a "new to you tire", but what is the date code, date of manufacture for that tire?
46th week of 09.

It is much less than 6 years old, so the problem was not age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back