Ford Excursion V-10 98k should I go 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
10w30 is well not spec'd for the modulars....you will cause more wear using 10w30's.

That is quite confusing, because back in 1991, 10W-30 was the default standard. For the 4.6, the internal running tolerances have not changed much, and I would imagine the same applies to the 6.8. Ford still recommends 10W-30 for Modular engines in the Middle East.

Stay with what you have or use PP or DuraBlend. Funny how people say those engineers that developed the engines know more than us, but in different parts of the world that same engine specs different weights of oil. Just a thought!!!

DuraBlend advertises, use in hard working engines.

Well I went with PP 5w30 and PureOne for now. I had to change it so we could use it to tow this weekend.

I thought long about using 5w20 but my Excursion is my workhorse and I'm not sure about going to a 5w20 with 98k as well as being third owner it had 10w30 in it when I bought it. I'm not certain what oil the engine has seen the 90k.

If going to a lower viscosity would benefit my use I am certainly open to trying it.
Stupid question-Would an oil analysis of both weights show me anything?

Thanks to all for the information so far very good points made.

Originally Posted By: Chevman66

Well I went with PP 5w30 and PureOne for now. I had to change it so we could use it to tow this weekend.

I thought long about using 5w20 but my Excursion is my workhorse and I'm not sure about going to a 5w20 with 98k as well as being third owner it had 10w30 in it when I bought it. I'm not certain what oil the engine has seen the 90k.

If going to a lower viscosity would benefit my use I am certainly open to trying it.

I think you've made a wise choice, since that is what the engine originally called for, and it has probably developed a wear pattern, so changing to a 20 grade oil is a coin toss, it might work, and you might use some oil.

As far as a UOA report, for best results do two full OCI's with the 5W30 and send it off for a report. Then do two full OCIs with 5W20 and send it off. That is for the most accurate results IMO. But it will take a long time. I'd save time and money and use the 5W30 PP and P1 filter and drive it!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Chevman66

I think you've made a wise choice, since that is what the engine originally called for, and it has probably developed a wear pattern, so changing to a 20 grade oil is a coin toss, it might work, and you might use some oil.

As far as a UOA report, for best results do two full OCI's with the 5W30 and send it off for a report. Then do two full OCIs with 5W20 and send it off. That is for the most accurate results IMO. But it will take a long time. I'd save time and money and use the 5W30 PP and P1 filter and drive it!

I'm old fashioned, I use what the owner's manual spec's. My 1996 2.0L Ford Contour spec's 5W-30, I use it. My 2002 F-150 specs 5W-20, I use it. All is well with both vehicles
smile.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
The 6.8L is spec'd for 5w20... Use motor craft 5w20 and sleep well.... 10w30 is well not spec'd for the modulars....you will cause more wear using 10w30's. If ANYONE doubts that look at the UOAs posted on this site
Dusty

That's not been my experience in my 4.6L modular engine. 10W-30 M1 clearly gave superior results. I used it for a quarter of a million miles in my 98 F150. In particular, the 5W-20 had higher iron and aluminum during periods of heavy use.

I'm testing the same theory right now with my 5.4L F150. I'll bet a dollar I get the same results.

Oh, and by the way, my Jaguar X-Type has far better UOA results on 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck M1, vs. the "spec'd" 5W-30.

And, it's a 2.5L V6 Ford engine.

What manual specifies is for normal driving conditions. Under high loads, such as heavy towing, the forces in the bearings increase and the minimum oil-film thickness (MOFT) in the bearings becomes thinner and it can become too thin or there can be complete oil-film breakdown, which results in direct metal-to-metal contact.

Backup_200507_lubapp-shaft_motion.jpg

Therefore, for heavy towing, a CJ-4/SM 5W-40 would be the best choice, as it not only has great oil-film strength (= oil-film thickness) but a good load of ZDDP and other antiwear additives.

In fact, this is what the owners' manuals recommend (heavier viscosity under extreme-load conditions). For example, Toyota owners' manuals for new Toyota cars, which specify 0W-20, explicitly state the following:

"The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the oil viscosity when the oil is at its operating temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

Castrol Edge 5w-30 certainly has quietened my 5.4L 2001 F250. Had 5w-20 Mobil Clean in it before and noisy would be an understatement. Forgot to add, truck has 176K miles.

Last edited:
2000 Ford V10s use 5W30...shame on those suggesting 5W20. I'd move up to a full synthetic 5W30. I'd only go with the 5W40 if you are experiencing lower oil psi under heavy towing when the engine is working hard and baking the oil. Otherwise, stay with the 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back