Toyota says I can't use 0W-30 in the Corolla ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to use Mobil 1's AFE 0W-30 on my next oil change which will occur during the upcoming winter. However, just out of curiosity I emailed Toyota for their "blessing" on using a 0W-30 in my 1999 Corolla with 128,000 miles. They stated that they do not recommend using a 0W-30, only the grades stated in the owners manual which are either a 5 or 10W-30. Now I know everyone will say I don't need a 0W-30 here in Texas-- which you are right--but I would like to try it nonetheless. Additionally, I am currently using the plain vanilla 5W-30 Mobil 1 and have read others here on BITOG state that the Mobil 1 AFE comes from a better basestock and would be preferable over the regular Mobil 1 lineup.
So ... would my using the 0W-30 cause problems or is Toyota just being cautious as to what oil goes in an "old" Toyota engine?

You are out of warranty so you can do whatever you want. A 0w-30 likely won't do any harm. I have a vehicle (Vibe) that has that same 1ZZ-FE engine and always use 5W-30.

No, no problems will arise from using a 0w in place of a 5w. The Toy rep is just playing CYA... Anytime you ask a manufacturer, they will give a textbook response - "Do ONLY what the manual says."

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
I want to use Mobil 1's AFE 0W-30 on my next oil change which will occur during the upcoming winter. However, just out of curiosity I emailed Toyota for their "blessing" on using a 0W-30 in my 1999 Corolla with 128,000 miles. They stated that they do not recommend using a 0W-30, only the grades stated in the owners manual which are either a 5 or 10W-30. Now I know everyone will say I don't need a 0W-30 here in Texas-- which you are right--but I would like to try it nonetheless. Additionally, I am currently using the plain vanilla 5W-30 Mobil 1 and have read others here on BITOG state that the Mobil 1 AFE comes from a better basestock and would be preferable over the regular Mobil 1 lineup.
So ... would my using the 0W-30 cause problems or is Toyota just being cautious as to what oil goes in an "old" Toyota engine?

According to the official Toyota chart, that car can take as low as 0W-20.

0W-30 has a really high concentration of viscosity-index improvers (even with Group IV basestocks) and chances are that it will almost shear to 0W-20 anyway.

If you want to use thin oil for maximum fuel efficiency, use Genuine Toyota 0W-20 oil (made in Japan by Nippon oil -- ENEOS). It has a really high level of molybdenum and will give you the best fuel economy you can ever obtain from a motor oil. It's more "advanced fuel economy" than Mobil 1:

ENEOS_0W-20.jpg

By the way, synthetic vs. conventional makes no difference as long as you change your oil frequently. "Synthetic" is more of a marketing term than a technical term and simply being synthetic doesn't guarantee a higher performance, as actual basestocks and additive packages both wildly vary.

I have run a 0W30 in my Toyota 2RZ-FE engine in the past (1 year/5K miles, with no problems. Toyota will give the "canned answer" as they do not contradict their engineers and tech folks, even though you should be out of warranty forbidding any replacements or additional warranties. These engines are super reliable, and can handle about any API certified oil IMHO.

With this engine, I would not worry about a trivial difference between 5W30 vs 0W30. The proper OCI is what you need to watch if you want to prevent a big time oil consumption.

Obviously what Toyota(or other dealers for that matter) tells you can't be trusted as truth. The M1 5-30 or 0-30 will be fine for your engine, especially where you have already been using 30wt.

Last edited:
No issues with the AFE,what in that oil could possibly harm that engine? nothing it's a fine oil that works year around.

Toyota wishes they knew what they were talking about. Sleep fine using 0w-30............You should have asked them why they feel the way they do?

Your engine might fall from the sky.

Well I've used Mobil 1 0w-30 AFE for 2 OCIs for a total of 15,800 miles and for some reason my 1ZZFE in my Corolla is still running fine @ 208,000 miles.

I'd NOT run it again (no improvement in MPG or operation over any other 5w-30 that I've run) but saying that it *may* damage the engine is just silly.

The timing chain in the 1ZZFE is a "concern" so extended OCIs are something that I'd avoid (though I have done a few)

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you use M1 AFE 0W20 in 1ZZFE then your Corolla will get better MPG.
55.gif

Yeah I know that is a chance.
grin2.gif

My last 4 tanks were WELL over 42mpg. One was over 45. I'm not going to see any change of MPG using 0w-20 or any 20wt.

I'm not going to fix what works. I've got enough data to keep going the way I am. I'll hope for 400k and hope I can find a vehicle that I want to drive another 400k and then I'll either be dead or retired.
19.gif

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Well I've used Mobil 1 0w-30 AFE for 2 OCIs for a total of 15,800 miles and for some reason my 1ZZFE in my Corolla is still running fine @ 208,000 miles.

I'd NOT run it again (no improvement in MPG or operation over any other 5w-30 that I've run) but saying that it *may* damage the engine is just silly.

The timing chain in the 1ZZFE is a "concern" so extended OCIs are something that I'd avoid (though I have done a few)

Take care, Bill

Bill,

Could you elaborate on the relationship between the timing chain and long OCI? Currently I am going either 5000 or 5 months between changes as my oil is very black upon draining it out. The car was a previous lease vehicle and I suspect oil changes were stretched a bit.

Don't worry about 0w30, it's a great oil. Plus, that 1ZZ-FE engine could run on Peanut Oil and last 300,000 miles. Been there, done that. 300k was no problem at all, and I was using SuperTech 5w30. The car had 200k when I bought it (cheap), so I wasn't going to give it any more of my time or money than I had to. It just wouldn't die...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy

Bill,

Could you elaborate on the relationship between the timing chain and long OCI? Currently I am going either 5000 or 5 months between changes as my oil is very black upon draining it out. The car was a previous lease vehicle and I suspect oil changes were stretched a bit.

The timing chain does "thrash" the oil when compared to a belt operated motor. The good thing is IF the timing chain has issues you'll know it as it makes quite a bit of noise well before its going to be a problem.

If something is done its done and you deal with it. Could it shorten the life of the motor? Sure but that is doubtful. Just get into changing the oil with a reasonable OCI using a 5w-30 rated oil and all will be fine with the motor. I've got a 1/2 full jug of 10w-30 that I used in the Subaru (its gone now) that I'll mix with 5w-30 for the next OCI in the Corolla. Really I don't see need for 0w-30 but to each their own.

Take care, Bill

PS: Remember that color really does not matter on oil condition. We all would like to see the oil come out looking like new but that still does not tell the actual condition. Check the PCV valve (it's EASY) on your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back