Best automotive fire extinguisher

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good 40:BC is great for vehicles. I have one in my truck and one in the Wife's car. The faster an agent is put on the fire, the better.

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Halon... Period

Still available?

I was thinking small CO2...

I don't think there is a good fire extinguisher for cars. Too much fuel, too many flammables, too much heat.

(This is the best). What you want is Halon but, I would want at least 10 pounds of it. 20 years ago I helped save my (military) site when the power plant caught fire using Halon. We would have lost the site without it. Check out FIREBOTTLE race car systems: A 10 pound bottle is about $500.(!!!) 5 pounds is enough for to give you a bit of time to get out of the car - it won't save anything.

(This is the recommendation) Second choice (and reasonably priced) is traditional dry chemical extinguishers. Get the one's rated for cars. They run about $30ea for a 2.5lb extinguisher. Get two. Put one where you can get to it in the cab and the other in the trunk.

Stop. What ever you get make sure it is for auto's. Your car interior may get hot and some of these following extinguishers will explode from summer heat.

New to the market is a 1 pound extinguisher like the First Alert AF400 or $10 MAX Professional 7102. Looks like a bug sprayer. I think it would fit under the seat. These type are cute, and from reviews, they may have quality issues. Make sure it is rated for cars.

Since it is a few years since I got new fire extinguishers, I think I will get a half dozen of these 1-pound types and put them around the house.

I carry a pretty big fire extinguisher. I think it's 5lbs. It's not so much for putting a car out but to hold back the flames long enough to get trapped victims out of a burning car.

Something I learned years ago was that once a car is burning it's a total loss and wasting a fire ext on a car thats burning isn't going to help. Get the people out and let the FD put it out.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Something I learned years ago was that once a car is burning it's a total loss and wasting a fire ext on a car thats burning isn't going to help. Get the people out and let the FD put it out.

Agreed. In the original posters link the car owner lamented that he could have put out an under dash fire with an extinguisher, but I have my doubts that he could have gotten it out with a small vehicle-sized extinguisher. At best he would have prolonged the burn time-unless it's a big extinguisher they empty pretty quick. And then to make sure it’s out, the fire department is going to show up and dump a couple hundred gallons of water on it? Yeah, that’ll be a car worth saving.

Get an extinguisher to save lives. A car is just a car and can be replaced, especially one that old.

If I had a car that had an under dash fire I'd much rather that it burn completely and be replaced rather than monkey with trying to restore a partially burned, soggy mess.

If you carry a dry chemical fire extinguisher (typical BC rating) make sure to inspect it yearly and shake it until you feel the media inside moving. Fire extinguishers carried in cars are often not inspected and the vibrations from the car will pack the media tightly. When you need it, it will fail at the worst possible time.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
If you carry a dry chemical fire extinguisher (typical BC rating) make sure to inspect it yearly and shake it until you feel the media inside moving. Fire extinguishers carried in cars are often not inspected and the vibrations from the car will pack the media tightly. When you need it, it will fail at the worst possible time.

Shaking it sounds like a good tip. I regularly check the pressure gauge on my extinguisher, but will add shaking it to check media flow-ability. Thanks.

I have tried shaking some of the fire extinguishers I carry in my boat and despite a lot of shaking, I do not think I ever heard the media move as i was slowly turning one upside down.

I do have good hearing, despite never being able to hear my wife when she wants something done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back