Oil for 98 integra type r swapped 92 civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current fun car is a 200 hp b18c Itr swapped 92 civic. Tuned and basic bolt ons.

Revs up to 8500-9000 rpm quickly

Has a lightened fly wheel,normal driving easy revs to 4-5000 rpm

Stock oil cooler should be present and has a thick fluidyne rad and slim fan

Could put up to 12000 km a year

Current fill is castrol 5w30 Syntec "synthetic"

Manual recommends 6000 km oci in "severe conditions " I am in Canada I will add.

I stocked up on some valvoline 5w30 to use when the castrol Syntec ran out but being as this car is spotless under the valve cover and not a basic econo civic engine ,I am now nervous about using the conventional.

Should I stick with "synthetic" oils I find on sale? Are these better than the conventional in this engine?

Is Syntec better than gtx between 6-8000 km?

Either way,is the bob is the oil guy members believers in the synthetics that are four for $20 or so better than the conventional siblings (Syntec,platinum,mobil,synpower ect)

If it's tuned well and you don't drive the [censored] out of it all the time everywhere a 5w-30 will probably be fine.

If it were mine I'd run a good 40-weight anyhow.

i'd use something thicker for that engine...the itr engine is a hit or miss when it comes to oil usage..normally depends on how you broke it in.

0w-30 german castrol
5w-30 maxlife synthetic
0w-40 mobil 1
5w-30 redline

Honda motors are not hard on oil, even the high-output ones. My Hondata-tuned GS-R ran Mobil 1 5w20 its whole life and wasn't burning a drop and had perfect compression when I sold it with 80,000 miles.

I would stick with any name-brand synthetic and try 5,000 mile OCIs. The OEM Honda filters are pretty good too, BTW.

Last edited:
Would I be fine using up my stash of valvoline 5w30 convetional on the 6000 km oci ?

Or is a synthetic better ?

No real oil burning issue. Stays at the same level . Went down slightly with 80 km of hard use.

I was just worried about varnish really.

Last edited:
Valvoline 5W-30 at 6k km intervlas would be great for this engine. Honda 4-cylinder engines in general aren't hard on oil, even modded ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back