Searching for the right tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to buy new tires for my Mercury Sable. I'm not loyal to any specific brand (I bought Republics from a local garage when I lived in Ohio) nor do my driving habits merit any special considerations. I need a good tire (that doesn't cost arm and a leg) that will get me to where I need to go. I've looked at Sears and Tire Kingdom. The little voice in my head tells me that if I buy the cheapest tire, I will get what I pay for. The three cheapest tires at tire kingdom are Epic Tour, HP, and Doral SDL. At Sears they are General Altimax Artic, Dunlop Signature T, and Firestone FRTire. Any and all words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Check out Cooper tires. My wife has their high end touring tires on her Saturn and they are really good tires with wet and snow traction as well as quiet on dry roads. They ride very well and are quiet. We are very pleased.

I am on Hankooks now, as I had a nail puncture last Sunday. The tires were all worn down, so I replaced all four at Pep Boys in Rosemead. We will see how they work out.

That said, had it been on a Saturday I would have had AAA tow me to Ray's OK Tires in South El Monte (they are closed Sundays). They gave me the last set, which were Cooper tires, and these lasted about 60,000 miles. The Coopers were quiet, smooth, and gave great traction on up to six inches of snow during a blizzard north of Las Vegas at the end of 2008.

Go to Tirerack.com enter tire size or vehicle info to get all the tire that fit your Sable. Then select either Price or UTQG or Reviewer's Avg Rating and go from there.

One of the lowest price with good customer survey in your size is Yokohama AVID Touring-S at $77.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back