174k mile fuel filter cut open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the factory Mopar fuel filter off my Jeep.
37.gif

100_2463.jpg

100_2465.jpg

100_2464.jpg

Engine running smoother now?

I would think the fuel might actually be able to get to the engine
thumbsup2.gif

Kind of makes me worry about how the "filter" is doing in my car, since the only way to change it is to drop the tank and pull the fuel pump.

Last edited:
x2 ... I am beginning to like older cars that have external fuel filters even more... Granted that is 175k miles, but sheesh!

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
She's silky smooth now. I gained 2 mpg instantly. I went from 275 miles per tank to over 300.
smile.gif

Sweet deal! Need all you can get with these gas prices!
crazy.gif

That filter will pay for its self relatively quick.

On a side note: When I bought my Mustang (in April) it had only 12,500 on the clock BUT since it was a 10 year old filter I decided to change it any way- INSTANT results.

Gas mileage improved and occasional stalls stopped completely.

TIME IS A FACTOR TOO

These "lifetime filters" are quite annoying, a total pain/sometimes impossible to get to. I woudl love to change the filter on my prizm since its 10 years old with 95K on it, but its a nightmare to get to. Good going on you jeep. Keep on driving past the pump!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Makes me wonder about those in tank fuel filter that you can not service like this filter in the photos.

Yeah the one in my car isn't even a filter more of just a "sock" to trap debris so they don't get into the fuel lines/motor. My hopes are that when I add Techron it breaks up most of the junk and burns it through the engine...

I wouldn't get too worked up over one semi clogged fuel filter from one car with who knows what type of cheap gas bought from ghetto gas stations over the years with who knows what kind of junk falling info the filler neck.

I'm very careful with what goes into my gas tanks and I'm sure my 98 Camry's OEM fuel filter with 207k doesn't look like THAT.

I wouldn't start dropping gas tanks over one scary looking filter

Wonder how much life it took off the fuel pump pushing through all that crud?

Detroit must have dirty fuel. I find fuel filters getting pretty clogged (blow thru test) after only 10-15 thousand miles. Manual says can go 30,000 miles!

She's silky smooth now. I gained 2 mpg instantly. I went from 275 miles per tank to over 300.
smile.gif

Could someone please explain to me how a new fuel filter increases your MPG?

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
smile.gif

Could someone please explain to me how a new fuel filter increases your MPG?

I thought I was the only one wondering that. I was afraid to ask because I might seem even more stupid. I cannot logically see how you can increase gas mileage. I can see how it would be smoother and definitely less work for the pump...but better mpg??

What was the nature of the gunk you found? Metallic? Organic? Good you changed it, but it is hard to believe that you gained MPGs.

What is the thermodynamic basis? Have you verified over 5 tanks, minimum
?

Having to pump fuel through THAT dropped my fuel pressure. It was 43-47 psi now it's 50-52 psi. Less fuel= less power= worse gas mileage. There was a noticeable seat of the pants difference in the power factor too. Just cruise over to jeepforum.com. I'm not the only one that has noticed this. I will be on my 5th fill up today.

Last edited:
That's pretty filthy. I'll have to see how accessible mine are. However, I suspect it'll be a decade before I put 174k miles on either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back