which napa oil filter is better

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice napa now has 4 napa branded filters proselect, Gold, and now silver and Platinum. I have a 99 Toyota Camry V6 with 132k miles. I'm a student and I commute everyday to school. I have always gone to quick lube places and I planning to do it myself to save money.
I've heard good review for the proselect. would the silver be a better filter since it cost 70 cents more and it has a silicon anti-drainback valve. Here is a link https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal...9+50070+2070002

I have always used the Gold as it at least used to be their higher end. Not sure about the platinum now.
Reality is that all of them are decent because even the Proselect was last time I saw one cut open. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them over the quick lube filters.

the napa filters are made by Wix, I dunno what the platnum filter would be.. Wix has essentially 3 filters..
the racing filter, which is designed for short term, filtration isn't the priority with this filter, the regular wix and there's a less expensive wix, which is known as the proguard, essentially has a lower burst pressure rate and a nitrile ADV vs. a silicone.

Originally Posted By: tylerho
would the silver be a better filter since it cost 70 cents more and it has a silicon anti-drainback valve.

Depends on what your oil change interval is planned to be.

I have been getting my oil changed with what the toyota manual says which under severe driving conditions it is 5k miles or 4 months. I just ignore what the sticker says with the whole 3 month or 3k mile change
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: tylerho
would the silver be a better filter since it cost 70 cents more and it has a silicon anti-drainback valve.

Depends on what your oil change interval is planned to be.

Last edited:
Have you ever heard anybody say go for the silver?? Go for the GOLD.(JK) The Proselect should serve you just fine. If you're going to "syn" and/or longer intervals use a Gold. They are well built filters. Grant you I have no idea what a platinum is, the Gold used to be the top filter. Just get the ProSelect. Or go to CarQuest and get a Carquest Blue, it is a top tier Wix/Affinia filter.

I agree, I think any of them will suit you fine. I wonder if the Silver is going to replace the ProSelect. I believe the Platinum has a synthetic media according to the links posted in another thread.

The lower end wix sold by napa with the combo valve are absolute junk due to the poor combo valve design. Ran one on the toyota INZ had it fail, cut it apart it was leaky , non functionl garbage. Pic should be on here somewhere. The Napa gold are equivalent to a std wix which are excellent, why not just go buy the wix? If your application doesnt employ a combo valve it should be OK. Otherwise you would be better served by a non-ecore delco or champ. The delco cross was the best fuilter I ran on my toyota other than the japanese filter the car cam with (which you CANT get here).

Last edited:
Looking over the versions on the NAPA site, the ProSelect and Silver seem to be very similar, nitirle ADBV and T-83 media. Gold uses of course the silicon ADBV and T-03 media which is the same as the Wix filters. Platinum is supposed to have a synthetic media and I would think the a silicon ADBV but that is not noted. Possibly the same media as the new Wix EcoLast filters?

If you can go by the pictures, Platinum, Gold and Silver all seem to be of the same construction where as the ProSelect appears different. Maybe similar to Wix's ProTec line which uses T-86 media?

At any rate, don't think you will go wrong with any of them.

is the napa silver much worse than the napa gold?
is it the same as the wix made microgard and wix made carquest red
which one is better? or are those latter products napa proselects and napa silver is a notch above them?

napa gold=real wix
but how do the other wix made products compare?
are they at the napa siilver level or pro select level
and how does the napa silver compare to the pro select since the napa silvers are cents more than the pro select whereas the napa gold is a few dollars more than the napa silver

is there an equal difference in quality going from pro select to silver to gold
or is there a bigger difference going from silver to gold and the silver is almost like the napa pro select?

Originally Posted By: engineer20
is the napa silver much worse than the napa gold?
is it the same as the wix made microgard and wix made carquest red
which one is better? or are those latter products napa proselects and napa silver is a notch above them?

napa gold=real wix
but how do the other wix made products compare?
are they at the napa siilver level or pro select level
and how does the napa silver compare to the pro select since the napa silvers are cents more than the pro select whereas the napa gold is a few dollars more than the napa silver

is there an equal difference in quality going from pro select to silver to gold
or is there a bigger difference going from silver to gold and the silver is almost like the napa pro select?

are you a troll?

I was recently told by a Wix engineer the Napa line up from best to the lowest is the platinum,gold, pro-select then the silver. There has been discussions which is better the silver or pro select. When I check prices, the pro select has always been slightly higher than the silver (at regular pricing)which would support what I was told by the maker.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I was recently told by a Wix engineer the Napa line up from best to the lowest is the platinum,gold, pro-select then the silver. There has been discussions which is better the silver or pro select. When I check prices, the pro select has always been slightly higher than the silver (at regular pricing)which would support what I was told by the maker.

I want to add it is the direct opposite here. The Silver is more than the ProSelect. I was also told by Wix that the Napa Silver is equal to the Oreilly MG filter. For me, the Silver comes in a box where as the ProSelect is shrink wrapped. I guess it would help if I tore both apart for comparison.

I was recently told by a Wix engineer the Napa line up from best to the lowest is the platinum,gold, pro-select then the silver.

I don't know how they can say the Platinum is better than the Gold when the Gold has almost twice the filtering efficiency. I guess they figure nobody cares about or checks on filtering performance specs.
grin.gif
It might be better for extended OCIs with less chance of bypassing, but that's about it.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I was recently told by a Wix engineer the Napa line up from best to the lowest is the platinum,gold, pro-select then the silver.

I don't know how they can say the Platinum is better than the Gold when the Gold has almost twice the filtering efficiency. I guess they figure nobody cares about or checks on filtering performance specs.
grin.gif
It might be better for extended OCIs with less chance of bypassing, but that's about it.

Purely price point mentality marketing blather IMO. And I'll take a Silver over a Pro Select if only for the paint job thank you.

Couple member posts on here and pics of a silver pulled open at 7k and rubber drain back vavle was in good shape and then at 10 k it started to get brittle. I say use the silver up till 7 or in warmer months then fall oci 10k + use a gold or platinum.. I have a car quest red in there now and no issues but I have never had any issues with any filter I have used. I go by what my Honda mech tell me to use. all Wix products and hastings.. a few times a yr Napa will have a sale- spend 20$ get 10 off or spend 40$ and get 20?..of so I stock up on filters- silvers, gold or plat.. Amazon has hastings and baldwins for 10 bucks..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back