What happened!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 4 new tires for mom's kia about 6 weeks ago. They have less than 50 miles on them since I bought them.

I was leaving to go see the fireworks.I eyeballed all 4 before leaving and none were low or flat.

Got 1/2 mile from home, going about 12mph on the dirt road and it went "bang". I knew it was flat immediatly.

I traveled less than 30 ft from the time it blew to the time I stopped.

Nothing in the road that I can see. No rocks, nails, screws or anything I can find that would do this to a tire.

The tire tracks in the sand go from tread to flat that quick.

Bad tire?

0704011744.jpg

0704011830.jpg

Last edited:
Was it overinflated?

That's an awfully clean cut. I'm going to guess glass or something pretty sharp.

Either that or she hit something (curb, etc) recently and it fatigued the sidewall and you finished the job with small impact (bump, pothole, etc.)

There's a number of things that could of caused that to happen. Did they come with a warranty? I'd go back to where you got them and tell them what happened and see if you can get another tire or at least some money back and have them check the other tires and maybe the tire pressure. Good Luck!

Did you buy her the Road Hazard type insurance? I usually skip it on my tires, actually they didn't offer it for mine when i got my PS2s, but I will get it for mom for peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Should have got the Michelin's? LMAO!!!
grin.gif

Are these the Hankooks from your other thread?
Yup the new Handkooks. I had to get them on a Sunday and the only place in town that was open didn't offer a warranty.

Grrrrrrrrrrr!

35 Psi when I checked them last week. I can tell just by looking if a tire is grossly underinflated and I did a walk around right before I left.

They were fine. Either something cut it or it just blew out. I looked in the road and didn't see anything thatcould cut it.

That's definitely a cut. Something sliced into the relatively weak sidewall closest to the tread and the ensuing blowout ripped it into the the triangle shape you see. Not the tire's fault at all.

Under (or over) inflation didn't kill this tire. The noise, the cut - that's sidewall damage. Look how clean the cut is...

Broken beer bottle in the sand? Rock? Metal fragment? Something sharp that sliced the sidewall open is what caused this. FWIW, I sliced open a sidewall on a Nokian Vatiiva truck tire driving up my (dirt) road in Vermont. Unseen sharp rock in a mud rut sliced it open just like that (though, not as long a cut). Went flat instantly.

I bought a new tire.

When they wore out, I bought BFG AT KOs in the same size. Figured that extra layer in the sidewall was good insurance for this kind of thing...

grin.gif

God I hope no one actually pays extra for those over-rated tires.
Have not owned Hankooks but they are an OE tire for a lot of cars on the road.

Originally Posted By: OilNerd
Good thing you don't drive a Chevy Cruze -- they don't come with a spare tire anymore, just an inflator and some sealant.

That's true for a lot of cars...not just the Cruze - and it worries me...

Maybe I am spoiled - the Packard has dual sidemount spares - which, in addition to looking great, are both identical to the other 4 wheels and tires...that seems a proper number of spares for safe motoring!

Last edited:
I agree that it looks like a cut. I used to make fun of people that would come into the shop with a completly shredded tire and try to tell me that it blew out. I always told them that it was flat for a long time to get that shredded.

Anyway I went back to the spot where it let loose with a rake and a metal detector. Nothin...

When it blew it even blew the 1/2 inch of sand off the dirt so it had plenty of air. If something cut it I sure cant find it anywhere near the area.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
grin.gif

God I hope no one actually pays extra for those over-rated tires.
Have not owned Hankooks but they are an OE tire for a lot of cars on the road.

Having owned MANY a set of Michelins and never having a flat with one..... I'm willing to pony up the couple extra dollars for them.

But my remark to the OP was made in jest.

Good thing you don't drive a Chevy Cruze -- they don't come with a spare tire anymore, just an inflator and some sealant.

Not true. It's an optional extra, for $100, and you can get it from the dealer. Both mine and my dad's have them. They are doughnut, but better than nothing at all.

Also,
Definitely looks like a cut to me, never seen a blowout that looked that clean.

Last edited:

Umm..you can still add one for 100 bucks to any model.

That's what my Caddy came with too. I was able to order the spare tire "kit" which came with a jack and mounting hardware. It fit perfectly. Now I have both. Pump and sealant in case of a nail, etc. And a spare for a blowout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back