Fuchs Titan SuperSyn LongLife 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a good deal on Fuchs' SuperSyn LongLife 5W-40 today at just $40 for 5 liters.

Thought it was a steal, considering it meets MB Sheet 229.5 with AMG approval and Porsche A40, so I ended up buying a pack of four, enough for 4 oil changes.
thumbsup2.gif

So, I've always wondered: is there any relation between Fuchs SuperSyn and Mobil1 SuperSyn? The name "SuperSyn" is probably trademarked, so you can't possibly have two different companies using it, unless one is licensing it to the other.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Fuchs makes good oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Sounds like a good buy. In Canada, that would be a great price as well!

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I'm catching the next flight to Kuwait....lol

That is a great deal though.

I'll catch a flight to the US for some Pennzoil Ultra!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, I've always wondered: is there any relation between Fuchs SuperSyn and Mobil1 SuperSyn? The name "SuperSyn" is probably trademarked, so you can't possibly have two different companies using it, unless one is licensing it to the other.

SuperSyn in an ExxonMobil trademark. Fuchs is buying their PAO from EM, which is where the name comes from.

Originally Posted By: felixthecat
Sounds like a group III oil.
What makes an oil a "fuel economy oil"?

Considering "SuperSyn" is used, it cannot be Group III. Also, you would be hard pushed to find a European oil using a Group III basestock with a full synthetic label on it.

As far as fuel economy goes, I would imagine friction modifiers?
21.gif

Anywhere in Europe outside Germany one can call a group III synthetic fully synthetic. See Shell helix Ultra as an example

I hope Doug Hillary will chime in, but with the SuperSyn brand name on it, I somehow doubt it's a Group III oil. It may contain Group III in its formulation with Group IV, but I don't think they would be willing to disclose that sort of information. If it was purely Group III based, it would have been labeled "Synthetic Technology" in Europe as well.

Group composition is irrelevant here, IMO. It meets some of the most stringent European specs, and that's what's relevant. There's more than one way to skin the cat.

Anywhere in Europe outside Germany one can call a group III synthetic fully synthetic. See Shell helix Ultra as an example

If memory serves me right, there was a post on here earlier mentioning Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 consisting of Shell's XHVI, PAO and esters. Although Fuchs is a German brand and this is a German oil, Europe still does not recognize Group III as fully synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Europe still does not recognize Group III as fully synthetic.

From what I've read, that is only true in Germany still. Other parts of Europe now allow it.

Group composition is irrelevant here, IMO. It meets some of the most stringent European specs, and that's what's relevant. There's more than one way to skin the cat.

True, you have to look at the additive package as well, not just the base oil.

http://server3.gs-shop.de/200/cgi-bin/sh...eite=detail.htm

....here they do not use the word "vollsynthetischen"

...and "Titan Super Syn 5W40 ist kein Vollsynthetiköl"
http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/welches-motoroel-t230315.html?page=295

Fuchs has a series of SuperSyn oils, including SuperSyn, SuperSyn Plus and SuperSyn LongLife. Having said that, whilst that article is dated, my argument still stands. Fuchs will not use the SuperSyn trademark on a product which they have not used ExxonMobil's SuperSyn PAO product.

From what I've read, that is only true in Germany still. Other parts of Europe now allow it.

I'm not aware of that to be honest. Does anyone happen to have a link?

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 consisting of Shell's XHVI, PAO and esters.

See Penzoil Q&A on this subject. Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 is a Group III and not labelled as Fully Synthetic in Germany.....as opposed to ,say, england.

"From what I've read, that is only true in Germany still. Other parts of Europe now allow it"

That is my understanding also. I have cross referenced many oils and in my mind the only way to ascertain that a synthetic oil is not Group III is to see how it is marketed in Germany.

See Penzoil Q&A on this subject. Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 is a Group III and not labelled as Fully Synthetic in Germany.....as opposed to ,say, england.

That's quite interesting actually. Looking at the MSDS, it explicitly specifies "highly refined mineral oil". Been under the impression that Europe still classified Group III as a not synthetic. Thanks for the information!
thumbsup2.gif

...in my mind the only way to ascertain that a synthetic oil is not Group III is to see how it is marketed in Germany.

From a personal point of view, I look at the final product as opposed to what base stock is used, but I very much prefer synthetic to conventional - be it Group III, IV or V. If this is certainly the case, I have to say I quite like the way the Germans categorize their lubricants. Liqui-Moly does has been labeling Group III as "Synthetic Technology" and Group IV/V as "Fully Synthetic" for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back