BP is not Top Tier! Were they before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Trajan
BP feels they are as good as Top Tier.

TT is no more a marketing ploy than API or ACEA.

Ford reccommends BP. I either use it, or TT.

If so, why don't they join TT?

Interesting info on Ford. Did BP pay them to say that?

The more I think about, I just started adding TWC3 to BP gas (2 tanks so far). After a couple of tanks more, I will pull plugs on that mixture and check if deposits are less.

Why don't they join? probably the same reason some oil makers don't have LL-01, ACEA, or any other auto maker approval. Costs money.

Did BP pay Ford? Did anyone on the TT list pay BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi?

Never asked.

Eventually, when I get around to it, I'll be adding TC-W3. Worked well in the BMW.

If TT was simply a marketing ploy, why dont we see it marketed? I have yet to see anybody use TT in their advertising.
It is a set of standards. If BP meets those standards, why dont they apply for TT?

As Trajan said, they have to PAY to be listed as Top Tier.
They get the advertising in return.
However, to be Top Tier, they also have to meet Top Tier in ALL grades of their gasoline (Regular, Mid-Grade and Premium) at ALL stations in ALL states that display their brand on their sign.

It comes down to the management of the oil company choice on where to spend their advertising money.

That is not to say that all grades have the same detergency....in fact Shell has (in the past) stated that their Premium gasoline has something like 5 times the minimum required "detergency" whereas their regular and mid-grade gasolines have several times the minimum required detergency.

The base gasoline in a region is normally pretty much all the same, it is the proprietary additive that is added that determines the difference between brands.

Some brands only add what is required to meet the minimum level as required by law.
Some manufacturers felt that the minimum is not enough, and this is where the Top Tier program came from.
I remember a number of years ago that there was the BMW standard, Standard Oil (now part of BP) used the BMW "test" in their advertising...
I think that the "BMW test" grew into what is now known as TOP Tier.

Originally Posted By: wiswind
Bamaro
Qwick Trip http://www.kwiktrip.com/AboutUs/fuel/ in Wisconsin/Iowa/MN do use Top Tier in their advertising.
They have it prominently displayed on their tanker trucks.
I have not seen other brands do this, but this is one brand that does.

Glad to see someone advertising it. Wonder why others dont. Seems that if more advertise it, more may be forced by the competition to adopt it.

BP/ARCO may not be top tier BUT in my area the price is the cheapest and I buy it cu gas is so expensive in California!!!! If you think your pistons has so much carbon then just buy couple bottles of Techron every other month and treat the gas. Your still saving a little money in doing this. In my book the proof is in the pudding....I use it and not bad issues has ever happened.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back