AAP lists Peak Long Life as Honda approved

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on the Advanced Auto Parts web site looking at antifreeze. Under the description for Peak Long Life Antifreeze it states that it is OEM approved for Honda. It also states this under the specifications tab. Is that correct? Here is the link. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Long-Life-Antifreeze-and-Coolant-(1-Gallon)-Peak_7020022-P_N3219_T%7CGRP2004_____

O'Reilly has the Peak long life pre-mix for 6.99 a gallon in their latest ad. Would it be a good choice for my 97 Accord?
Thanks.

In the entire realm of vehicle maintenance, the selection of a PROPER coolant is certainly one of the most convoluted, excruciating adventures an owner will ever experience. With the exception of some technically knowledgeable folks on this and other similar forums, it often appears that general public information about coolants and engine compatibilities may be painfully absent. The price ($$$) that a vehicle owner could pay for an incorrect coolant selection could be steep.

The problem is compounded by 'opinions' offered in lieu of facts and a certain obfuscation or glossing of details by coolant manufacturers on their labels. For example, what is the informative value of a coolant manufacturers generic statement that the coolant 'meets XXXXX car brand requirements' when that car manufacturer offers several models with different engine sources factory filled with differing coolants, some of which should NEVER be mixed or replaced with something dissimilar.

I guess the only solution to the issue is to adhere to manual specs, keep informed through research, be skeptical of generic label claims, and value 'opinions' as food for thought, to be confirmed upon further examination.

I agree. Sometimes the manufacturers make matters more confusing by stating that newer coolants are backward compatible with older cars when that is not entirely true. Case in point: pink Toyota coolant.

However, owners can mitigate most problems by properly flushing old coolant before installing new one. I purchased Peak flush kit and plan to use it: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Radiator-Flush-and-Fill-Kit-Peak_7690003-P_N3051_A|GRP2014_____

Thanks for the posts.
It looks like the only proper substitutes are coolants from other manufacturers (like Toyota red), or the Zerex asian for aftermarket.

Or if you feel like spending some cash....you could go to the Toyota Dealer and buy the "Full Strength" Red coolant for 36 -37 for a gallon. The pink you could also buy for $24-$25 which is the diluted 50/50.

For me....I just buy the SuperTech extended life, which is the same as the Peak, Long life for under $10 at WM. Just change it out every 2 years with a flush of distilled water....from Walmart or Kmart. It might take two or three flushes with the hose....then drain out all of the hose water from the engine block also and add the distilled water 2 or three time to your radiator and let it run and dump.

I've been using the WM SuperTech Coolant/Antifreeze for many years with no problems. It's the same as the Peak antifreeze/coolant.

I know of people who have gone to the Toyota dealerships to get a cooling system flush and refill.....Guess what they filled it up with?

The Toyota dealerships filled up the 1999, 2001 and 2004 Toyota cars with the bulk "Green Antifreeze/coolant".

What a laugh....people paid a lot of money by bringing it to the dealership thinking they would be getting the red or pink and they wound up with the Green coolant....maybe the same as the SuperTech at Walmart.

Toyota had some mighty upset customers, especially when they told them AFTERWARDS that they could use the green coolant and they did not need the red or the pink.

IMO....it's all marketing and scare tactics that have people on the run all the time. If you change your coolant....WM SuperTech, Peak, Prestone, Advance Auto, Auto Zone etc...etc...every 2 or 3 years with a proper drain for a few cycles....you'll have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
If you would like to use an aftermarket antifreeze/coolant, in a Asian built vehicle, then Zerex, Dex Cool would be the best bet.

Based on all that I have read this is a very good choice for Toyota, Honda, etc....from Valvoline/Ashland.

"OAT, or Organic Acid Technology, is the formula found in DEX-COOL®, and is usually the antifreeze/coolant of choice for VW and many Japanese/Asian vehicles. This updated formula is engineered to offer long-life corrosion protection. The downside of OAT is it is not compatible with other types of coolant (IAT and HOAT). In fact, Ford, DaimlerChrysler and others say not to use this type of coolant in their newer models."

Here is the link.....

http://www.whitfieldoil.com/www/docs/164.244

Please don't shoot the messenger....I'm only trying to point out the skilled marketing tricks used to convince consumers that something is "Safe to Use".

We all know that Dex-Cool is some bad stuff for engine cooling systems.

Why would Valvoline be promoting the use of Dex-Cool in Asian motors per their colorful graph of "What should be used, for American, European and Asian motors?"

The Asian Pink that they have on the Zerex site does not appear in the colorful chart that they have for consumers.

Buyer Beware......

Just for the fun of it....I had called "Tire Kingdom" and Goodyear Service centers in the past to see what type of "Coolant/Antifreeze" that they use for a cooling system fluid exchange.

Tire Kingdom stated that they use a "Universal" Valvoline product that is suitable for all makes and models. I asked if it contained silicates....since Asian cooling systems should not use that type of coolant. The only answer I got was that it was "Amber" in color and suitable for all makes and models of vehicles.

Goodyear stated that they use some "Generic Green" antifreeze/coolant when they do a fluid exchange. I also asked about the content of silicates in the Green formulation and I could not get an answer. The same line....It is suitable for all makes and models.

My question to the industry is this.....there are so many vehicles on the road today that are Asian built why don't they stock a Asian formulation like the one that Valvoline puts out in 55 gallon drums?

Just take a look at the Napa website and see that they have the 55 gallon drum for sale. The cost is over $600 for the drum but it is a lot less than any civil actions that could be taken against these shops that use the wrong coolant or are under the impression that "one size fits all".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back