RWD v. FWD for snow use

Status
Not open for further replies.
With today's modern tires (and snow tires), stability control, torque vectoring, etc...I find there's almost no real difference.

Originally Posted By: dparm
With today's modern tires (and snow tires), stability control, torque vectoring, etc...I find there's almost no real difference.

But the physics of the situation (real ones, not computer actuated stuff) still favors the FWD vehicle, IMO.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

But the physics of the situation (real ones, not computer actuated stuff) still favors the FWD vehicle, IMO.

+1

RWD=no control over direction of traction. That is a "big" reality no one can convince me is not important.

With 4 snow tires (not 2 on the drive wheels!) and some attention to the road I still prefer RWD myself. Learned to drive RWD, first 4 vehicles were RWD, not drive an AWD. Just do not like how a FWD car handles.

Agreed but I've driven FWD, RWD, and AWD cars in the snow (all 3 with the same motor, actually) and with all of today's advancements it pretty much felt the same. AWD was easier to get moving but in terms of car control...very close.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

+1

RWD=no control over direction of traction. That is a "big" reality no one can convince me is not important.

Actually, RWD offers the option of steering with both the steering wheel and your right foot, while a FWD car will simply plow itself toward the outside of a corner.
FWD is probably more idiot-proof, but RWD offers options to anyone who's driven RWD enough to be comfortable with it.
Neither is in the same class as AWD, though.

It seems to me that it is dependant on the car.

I got passed by a 5-series in the ice this past winter when I felt like I was at the safest speed my fwd Mazda6 could travel.(the 5-er was backwards against the wall a couple miles down the road but I did not see what made that happen. Driver error? Someone else caused it?
21.gif
all I know was he was 15-20mph faster than I was and seemed to be tracking straight)

My 6 has 225/40R18 summer tires and it is better any of my Mustangs in the ice. Regardless of tires. All-season 14" pizza cutters to 225/60R15s to 225/55R16s. My Daytona was roughly the same size and weight as a Fox body Mustang and it was far superior in the ice.

In one ice storm, my boss picked me up in his W126 Mercedes Benz diesel. It handled everything well. I had a Suzuki Swift. I could get moving and I could stop but the car lacked enough mass to get out of the ruts effectively. That was actually beneficial on one steep hill on I-20. It was like being on one of those go-kart tracks at a theme park. I went faster and faster but the car would not leave the lane It was scary but kind of funny.

My S4's quattro has truly sold me on 4WD/AWD in snowy climates. I was able to drive through this without any problems earlier in the year (on 245/40R18 Blizzak LM25-V tires):

blizzard-2011-chicago-lake-shore-630-630w.jpg

Last edited:
4WD drive rules, LOL.

All kidding aside, given a choice of RWD with a LSD, or FWD I'd take the RWD LSD combo with a stick shift. I've owned both.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
4WD drive rules, LOL.

All kidding aside, given a choice of RWD with a LSD, or FWD I'd take the RWD LSD combo with a stick shift. I've owned both.

I find LSD a problem when driving.
I keep picturing myself on a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Sorry, although I agree with your point, I couldn't resist.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
4WD drive rules, LOL.

I find LSD a problem when driving.
I keep picturing myself on a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Sorry, although I agree with your point, I couldn't resist.

Did you go to HS in the 70's? LOL

I'l take neither, after driving my AWD Subaru over the course of 2 Colorado winter's, you couldn't give me a fwd, certainly not a rwd. My Subie is the shiz-nit in the snow, lol.

Subies are great in the snow.
However, I don't usually get to use one of ours in bad weather.
Any Honda on decent tires will get you where you need to go.
It's just a lot more fun laughing at the weather in a Subaru.

I found my CV (which has no traction control and a open diff) far easier to drive than FWD vehicles in snow. I remember the first time it snowed I drove around the neighborhood for a few minutes as I wanted to see how hard it was since I believed all the "RWD sucks in the snow!" horse manure. That was shattered in 10 seconds. Granted I have Blizzaks, but I would still take it with all seasons. (though probably not with the summer tires I have on it now, lol)

While I currently reside in sunny Florida, I grew up in Indiana.

It's all about the driver. With good snow tires a RWD car behaves just fine. Even a pickup does fine with a sandbag or two in the bed!

Such baloney, FWD is far from the only way.

When I lived in N.Y.C. and had to drive to upstate N.Y. everyday I had no issues with my RWD Panthers..I never owned a FWD car ever..I just added some weight in the truck and I was good to go up the West Side Highway-Palaisades Parkway to the NYC Thruway..I saw tons of accidents on those roads when the weather turned ugly..The bulk of my Panthers did not have T.C.

When I shared a apt for awhile in the city I would have perferred to use my roomates 4x4 Explorer on those nasty days but he needed it to go Connecticut everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back