Affect of using 0W-20 vs. 5W-30 in 2006 Matrix ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering. My car called for a 5W-30 but am considering a lower viscosity oil, 0W-20. I live in TX, near the coast line and the temp. never drops below freezing but this summer always in the 90's. Will a change over harm my engine ? I drive a 2006 Toyota Matrix ?

Last edited:
Which engine? I'm not sure about the 1.8. The 2.4 wouldn't care which visc.

Somewhere on BITOG is a handy Toyota chart.

ok just know Toyota changed their acceptable recommendations to 5W-20. Would this increase my MPG ?

Your engine will explode the first day you run 0w oil.
get it. 0w. w means winter. You have no winter.
I can tell you whatever you want to hear.
Toyota's will run on bacon grease.
You really have no need to change oils unless you get some cheap.
5w20 or 5w30 are preferred for your engine and climate.

0w-20 synthetic is going to be more expensive than 5w-30 dino. If you extend your drains using the 0w-20 you should break even in so far as cost goes.

And yes, 0w-20 might even save you a little bit of gas if you drive like a grandma.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Maybe this is what you want to see:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2143463

with the 1.8L engine, according to the chart, you should be fine using a 5w20 in that engine.

Since it doesn't get below freezing in your area, like you said, there's just no need for a 0w20. Stick with 5w20 if you want to run a thinner oil to help squeeze out a few more MPGs per tank. (that means driving like a granny)

The mileage increase you will get would be absolutely negligible. CAFE is counted on total production of vehicles I believe, that is why there is MPG increase. So if you have say 50,000 Matrixs' going from 5w30 to 5w20 it would be measurable. You won't see it in your Matrix to any appreciable degree.
Since you live in a pretty hot climate 5w30 may be a better choice (that is JMO).

In your area you may want to stick with a 0w30 or 5w30. Your not going to notice much of a difference where you live.

Running 0w-20 will be a kind of experiment. If your seat feels a difference, and consumption stays the same, then you can consider the switch an upgrade.

I'd stick with 5-30 where you are.
You would get a perceptible increase in power and fuel economy with the X-20, but not by much. No miracles, and only a little in the right direction.

What is your driving condition ? If most of the trips are less than 10-15 miles then switching to xW20 is a good idea, thinner oil will flow better the first 4-5 miles and improve MPG along the way.

Best to run the oem spec weight. Pick a good synthetic to minimize the engine temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back