Replacement for Dexron IIE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual for my Isuzu Rodeo says to use Dexron IIE for the power steering fluid. Apparently Dexron IIE is no longer available so I called my Isuzu dealer and asked them what to use. They told me to just go to O'Reilly and buy PS fluid. I pointed out there are a lot of differences between PS & ATF fluid. He told me they can no longer get Isuzu PS fluid so when they service one they just call O'Reilly and ask them to bring them some PS fluid. They don't specify anything.
Aside from quality of dealer issues I think I'm not getting adequate information.
I've seen a lot of discussion about Dexron IIE being surpassed by III which is also no longer available to GM specs.
My question is can I just use Dexron VI? Is there a better choice?
Thanks

Yes you can use Dex VI. You can also use generic dex 3 "appropriate for". The PS system is less hard on fluid than the insides of an auto tranny so even generic stuff will do.

If you just want something inexpensive that works I'd probably just use a Dex/Merc fluid if I were you. Dex VI would probably be better. I'm pretty sure Redline PSF is approved (by Redline) for use in vehicles calling for Dex fluids as well.

Quote:
RED LINE POWER STEERING FLUID satisfies the service fill requirements of most auto manufacturers and can be used where the manufacturer calls for any automatic transmission fluid such as Dexron®, Dexron II-D®, II-E®, or Dexron III®, Ford Type-F, Mercon, or M2C138-CJ such as required by Ford, AMC, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, VW, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, SAAB, Subaru, Volvo, Porsche, Mitsubishi, Mazda, and many others.

This fluid also satisfies power steering units requiring GM PN 1050017 or 1052884 (Spec Number 9985010), Chrysler Spec Number 5931, and Ford Spec Number M2C33-F. It also satisfies the hydraulic specifications of Denison HF-O, Vickers vane pumps, and Sundstrand piston pumps.

I've always had best experience using M1 ATF, makes for better cold weather performance.

I use M1 Multivehicle ATF (DexIII/MercV) in my Axiom. Turkey-basted a quart 2 summers ago. Steering is much easier/lighter in winter.

I've heard most PS fluid is simply light naptha/petroleum...

So I wouldn't worry too much about the fluid specifics.....I'd just use the PS fluid as the dealer specified....how much are you low? Even Marvel Mystery Oil can be used for light "top offs" of the Power Steering, no more than 16 oz. though...

Some of the later Dodge transfercases call for Dexron II, and Dexron III works just fine. I want to say that on the older bottles of Dexron III, they stated it would work in Dexron II applications?

DexIII was made with replacement of DexIIE in mind. That will work fine for you. DexVI is intended to replace both of them.

Buy a synthetic ATF that meets DexIII or DexVI, and you will get more life out of your PS system and fluid, and possibly reduced steering effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back