How many of you like the look of steel wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Alloy look plastic hubcaps have been a fraud going on twenty years now. Most Corsicas and cavaliers had them, not fooling anybody.
lol.gif
At least they threaded onto the lug nuts so they didn't rattle or go flying off.

Plastic wheel covers were Honda's bread-and-butter for a very long time. The lug nuts held the cover onto the wheel so it looked like an integral part of the wheel. I've never heard anyone complain about the look of them.

I run black steelies with center caps on my police crown vics. Really makes it nice to be on the highway. Everyone moves over.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
The problem is rust up here.

If steel rusts, aluminum will corrode even faster. Steel wheels were the norm for 50 years before alloy wheels became common, rust really isn't that big a deal.

Yep, steel wheels were normal for 50 years and guess what - they all rust in the rust belt. Alloy rims hold up better, particularly from an aesthetic viewpoint. Steel rims look like crud in about 10 years here, while I can easily stomach 20+ on properly clearcoated aluminum rims.

Rusty steel wheels are easily renewed with a wire brush and a rattle can of paint. Surely I'm not the only one to think of that.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Black steelies look good until they start rusting. Then they look like garbage.

Then ya just paint them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back