max pressure in Bridgestone Revo's on Tahoe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got A/T Revo tires on my 2006 Tahoe. These tires are load range E, and have a max pressure of 80 PSI. The Tahoe recommendation for pressure is around 32-34 PSI for lighter duty tires. I'm assuming they recommend 32 PSI to decrease the risk of rollover. My question is, what's the max pressure I should use? I've got 38-39 PSI right now. But that seems low for a tire that can handle 80, and the ride isn't particularly firm right now. We're taking the truck on a road trip this weekend, and it's going to be loaded heavier than normal.

Thanks

If the load does not exceed the maximum load allowed by GM, then the OEM recommended pressures (maybe +3, if it makes you feel any better) are fine.

GM (or any automaker) has done extensive testing to ensure that the tires will wear properly and the vehicle will handle safely as designed at the recommended pressures. There really isn't any need to increase the pressure just because your tires can handle more pressure.

However, if load range "E" tires need more pressure in order to have the same load carrying capacity as the lighter-duty at lower pressures, then that is a different story. But that is question that CapriRacer can probably answer.

No, these were replacement tires. I wanted A/T Revos because I'd had good luck with them on other SUV's, but only the E range was available for my wheel size. That's the only reason I ended up with "E" tires. I've got over 20k miles on them (they're a year and 1/2 old)

Last edited:
More years ago then I would admit, before truck laws were what they are now, and in a state that was known for its lax vehicle inspections, and lax vehicle laws, sometimes one of my jobs was to drive a one piece no pivot truck with a 28 foot flatbed with only duel back tires (4 tires on one back axle) with total cargo weight rating of 10 tons. The fly by night cement company that I worked for would load 20 tons of rot-iron on it, and tell you to be sure to put 15 PSI above rated air pressure in all tires. The tires were rated at 110 PSI.

One hot summer day, the driver of the other identical truck did not put the extra air in the tires, and with a 20 ton load blew out three of the four back tires while going down the highway. We had to transfer the load to my truck by hand, and it was one hot day.

Anyhow, moral of story, If you are going to be loading the vehicle, be sure the tires are at a high enough pressure, especially on a hot day.

Also, I remember how the back tires would slide sideways like the truck was on ice when going down the highway on a 95 degree day with 20 tons on the back. That was my sign that the rubber on the back tires was getting so hot that it was slippery, and it was time to pull over for five minutes to let the tires cool. On hot days I could drive for five minutes, and then had to let the tires cool for five. After the sun went down I could drive non stop.

Duke,

First, your vehicle came with P type tires, and you have put on LT type tires. I don't recommend this and here's why:

All other things being equal, the same tire dimensions (notice I didn't say "size") in a LT type tire takes 15 more psi to carry the same load than a P type tire.

So your vehicle tire placard pressure not appropriate because the "size" is different.

But we haven't established what the vehicle tire placard says for tire size and pressure and what you have on there now.

So, like Colt said:

1) What does the vehicle tire placard call for tire size and pressure?

2) What size do you have on now?

Last edited:
P265 70 R17 30 PSI front and rear (Chevy recommended)

My Revos are LT265 70 R17 currently at 40 PSI (for last 1.5 years)

Originally Posted By: dukemason

I come up with 41 psi!

You should have 41 PSI recommended by CapriRacer as minimum cold pressure, if I was you I would try 41 PI for few days, then increase by 2 PSI for few days until you find a pressure that will give you good handling without hash ride or noise. That pressure may be as much as 6-8 PSI above 41.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

I come up with 41 psi!

How did you come up with 41?

Thanks, Jim

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf

I come up with 41 psi!

Thanks, Jim

First you need to have the load table for a P265/70R17. Unfortunately, those as not normally publised on the internet, but I have several sources for this.

Next you need to have the load table for an LT265/70R17 - same problem.

Then just match the load carrying capacity.

I come up with 41 psi!

Thanks, Jim

First you need to have the load table for a P265/70R17. Unfortunately, those as not normally publised on the internet, but I have several sources for this.

Next you need to have the load table for an LT265/70R17 - same problem.

Then just match the load carrying capacity.

http://toyotires.com/tire-care-safety/load-inflation-tables
This shows a P265/70R17 has a load capacity of 2351lbs at 30psi. Its on a light truck so it needs to be derated 10%.
Resulting in 2117lbs.
An LT265/70R17 has a load rating of 2111 lbs at 41psi
Close enough.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I read the posted article so I decided to increase the pressure to 45. I drove from St Louis to Knoxville today and it handled fine. Had a pretty decent load with three adults, one kid, two bikes, and luggage.

Any limit to what factory wheels can handle? The way it drove, 50 psi wouldnt seem out of the question if I was hauling a trailer.

Factory wheels can handle more than max pressure on the LT sidewall of 80 PSI. The optimum pressure for your driving conditions is obviously above 41 PSI, you need to try various pressures to find the optimum in term of traction, ride, noise, tread life, MPG ...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Factory wheels can handle more than max pressure on the LT sidewall of 80 PSI. The optimum pressure for your driving conditions is obviously above 41 PSI, you need to try various pressures to find the optimum in term of traction, ride, noise, tread life, MPG ...

While I agree with this statement of the Factory Wheels ability to hold the pressure. I would caution you to inspect and ensure that you have steel high pressure valve stems.

Last edited:
I agree, rubber valve stems are not capable of high pressure, he needs metal valve stems if he like to increase his tire pressure above 55-60 PSI. The question was the pressure limit of factory wheels.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

While I agree with this statement of the Factory Wheels ability to hold the pressure. I would caution you to inspect and ensure that you have steel high pressure valve stems.

In some repects I am seconding the "caution", but I am addding......

There's this fatigue problem. The wheels in question are designed for P metric tires and pressures appropriate for those kinds of tires - 35 psi. Wheels for LT metric tires would be designed for higher loads and higher inflation pressures - and interestingly, all the vehicle manufacturers use a different bolt pattern for these wheels so they don't get mixed up!

I do NOT know what wheel designers do differently between the 2 types but I'll bet there is a difference. My fear would be that using 80 psi in a wheel designed for 35 psi certainly increases the load on the flanges. In the long run, I would expect cracks to form on the wheels, followed by pressure leaks, followed by complete failure of the flange.

I urge caution as tese cracks would not be readily visible - easily missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back