Oil Pressure/Temperature Combo Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about install an Oil Pressure/Temperature Combination Gauge to my MB E430 and S2000. What do you guys think about Mcnally TDI Oil Pressure/Temp Combo Gauge ? Are there other choices ?

http://shop.mcnallyelectronics.com/product.sc?productId=49&categoryId=3

Do I need all the accessories such as Oil Press/Temp adapter kit, Pressure Sensor 75 PSIG and Compression fitting for Thermocouple + Thermocouple 3" with 6 foot cable ?

Never heard of Mcnally electronics... Autometer and VDO are the big names in gauges. SunPro is a lower-cost option with generally good quality. There are several other brands as well. Choices? Scads of choices:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=gauges&dds=1

Unless the gauge happens to be compatible wih the sending units in your car, then YES you do need all the accessories which send the pressure and temp information to the gauges.

Originally Posted By: expat
Where will you take the temp reading from?
(what part of the engine)

Good question. I have no idea where to take the oil pressure/temperature of either car. I'll do some searches on s2ki.com and benzworld.com.

The reason I like to have both gauges, or to be precised a combo gauge, is I'm using xW20 in my '00 MB E430 and the oil I should use is M1 0W40. It sees a daily trip of about 24-25 miles one way, of which 80% highway and 20% city. I'm curious to see what is the pressure of 2 grades thinner oil, also what is the temperature at the end of the daily trip. If the pressure is too low or the temp is too high then I need to go up 1 grade.

The coolant temp on highway is on the cool side around 180-185F at 70-75MPH, it can go up to 195-200F in stop and go city streets with xW20, the coolant was about 5-10F hotter with M1 0W40.

Good thinking, HTSS_TR. Google Isspro too. They make some fine stepper gauges that are super accurate. Hooking them up is always the challenge but you might consider tap[ing into the OBDII port. It's possible the MB PCM is reading these things. If there is a programmer, or something like the ScanGaugeII or UltraGauge (Google them) that will read them you can use the existing sensors.

A Mercedes should have oil temperature sensing as part of the engine management system. The oil temperature reading is important for their oil life monitoring system.

I really like the look of the McNally you linked to. I would love to do this as well. I think it would be a very interesting experiment.

The ScanGuage may work well as Jim mentioned but talk with them first. They could not tell me if my cars would report oil pressure and temperature. They did tell me though that I could return it for a full refund if it didn't do what I wanted it to do.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Oil temp is best from the pan/sump.
Oil temp is a good gauge to have.

Oil pressure, not so much.

Are you SERIOUSLY implying that an oil temp gauge is more useful than an oil pressure gauge???? That's completely backwards to my way of thinking. Oil pressure is the single most critical engine measurement- if you lose oil pressure the engine is dead inside 60 seconds under load. On the other hand, a coolant overheat takes minutes to cause damage, and an oil over-temp damages the OIL more than the engine, so it isn't really critical at all (on a liquid-cooled engine at least) other than to know the oil should be changed sooner than normal.

Yes, an oil temp gauge is far better to my thinking.

If you lose pressure, what good is a gauge? It is too late.

I like gauges, don't get me wrong - the more the merrier!

I would rate oil temp gauge more important than a pressure gauge on a daily basis.
Oil temp gives a much better idea when the engine (not the engine coolant) is up to temp, or pushing too high a temp.
An Oil pressure gauge may be useful over the long haul, as you monitor engine wear or the effects of different oil weights.
I oil pressure get dangerously low, I assume you have an idiot light?

I have UltraGauge, it doesn't read either oil pressure or temperature from the E430 OBDII port or from the S2000 OBDII port.

I Google and didn't find many info about installing oil pressure or temperature gauge for the E430. Unless I found some more info about it I give up the idea of install these gauges in my car.

No offense but I don't think this is "typical" E430 owner territory. If you have the shop manual or can get one it should point you to where the factory sending unit is. Apparently a common install is to add a T-fitting to keep the factory unit and add the aftermarket. To do both you may need another location, this is what I will do if I ever go ahead with the gauges. There is access in the head as well as the factory location on the EcoTec.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I'm thinking about install an Oil Pressure/Temperature Combination Gauge to my MB E430 and S2000. What do you guys think about Mcnally TDI Oil Pressure/Temp Combo Gauge ? Are there other choices ?

http://shop.mcnallyelectronics.com/product.sc?productId=49&categoryId=3

Do I need all the accessories such as Oil Press/Temp adapter kit, Pressure Sensor 75 PSIG and Compression fitting for Thermocouple + Thermocouple 3" with 6 foot cable ?

So did you wind up doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back