Coolant level dropping, but no leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there,

I have a 2008 Scion xB... And two years ago I took it to the dealer because my coolant level was below the "Low" level. They inspected for leaks, found nothing, and topped it off saying temperature/pressure cause level changes. Either way, it was at FULL when I left.

Two years later, it is not about one inch below the LOW level again. I called the dealer, and they basically told me if they don't find a leak they will charge me $80 regardless. If they do find something, it is covered under my warranty.

Thing is, I never seen a leak anywhere. And the leak is so slow, wherever it is, is it worth the trouble and possible $80?

Or do I just buy some fluid and top it off every six months or so? Very slow leak as you can see, but wonder what may cause it?

Thanks!

Put some UV dye in the system and wait a few weeks before trying to look for the leak.

Or get a UOA to check for coolant in the oil

I have had 2-3 UOA's done in the past two years and nothing.

This car has a known defective water-pump, that seems to go bad and spray coolant on the hood liner... But I have not come across that, yet. On the Scion forums, it is very often to happen.

So I figure that is what it is.. But just very, very slow.

Could it be a bad seal on the radiator cap that just burps a but of vapor once in a while?

It sure seems to me that newer cars tend to smell like coolant even when leak free... I would have to imagine that there is some low level vapor loss from time to time.

You're saying it's low - as in it's low in the overflow?

If that's the case - that's normal. It evaporates. Just add distilled water or some appropriate pre-mixed coolant to the overflow.

Don't take it to the dealer for this.

That is exactly what I wanted to know, if that was OK or not for level to drop that way.

And yes, in the over-flow tank!

Appreciate the help, I will go buy a gallon of the fluid!

If you have a problem and it is still under warranty, I'd take it to a different dealer. There is no way they should be charging you $80 if they can't find the problem. If a dealer is unwilling to find the problem and give you hassle-free business, then they don't deserve your future business either.

It could be something as simple as a loose hose clamp. I had a new Accord that all the sudden would lose a decent amount of coolant. Turned out the lower hose clamp was slightly loose.

Evaporation of the water in the coolant is natural.

I don't know if the actual coolant evaporates or just the water.

I usually just fill the reservoir up to the full line when the engine is hot since it just may be the evaporation of water and not the actual coolant.

Any suggestions from the knowledgeable forum members????

Originally Posted By: JRed
If that's the case - that's normal. It evaporates. Just add distilled water or some appropriate pre-mixed coolant to the overflow.

It is normal? I've never owned nor known anyone to own a car that lost large amounts of water in the cooling system through evaporation. I live in Florida so it's can get pretty hot here. Not negating what you said, just I'm pretty sure the coolant overflow tanks are designed to lose minimal amounts of water through evaporation.

It is not large amounts with me though... Talking 1" or so in the over-fill tank over a two year period. That really is not significant, is it?

Is this an accurate picture of the Scion xB coolant overflow tank?

large_1.JPG

It doesn't look like a leaky system to me. My car's overflow tank is much larger and has a tube leading from it. I lose no coolant during the 2 years in between coolant flushes. I live in Florida which is pretty hot. You really need an opening for the water to evaporate from. If not it's going to evaporate, hit the top of the overflow, and go back down.

I know some systems are entirely pressurized and lose no water to evaporation. Yours doesn't look like it but still, 2 years is not much time to go from full to below low.

One inch isn't bad, you might have a poor seal on the radiator cap like JHZR2 said. Have you tried replacing the radiator cap?

I'd say replace the simple stuff first. Screw the dealer. Or go to an independent mechanic that will give a "free diagnosis" and have them give you something in writing of what may possibly be wrong.

Then take the written statement (preferably with the mechanic/shop's leader-head on it....) back to the dealer, which explains the problem....

If that doesn't work, take it to the corporate, 800 hotline, they gotta have a customer courtesy line set up....and also keep a copy of the indendent mechanic diagnostic and mail it to the corporate office....

If the car is still under "full warranty" I can't see the $80 being justified......but a lot of dealers are hurting nowadays, so they gotta shaft the few that do come through...:(

And if you took it to the dealer 2 years ago....your "file" should still be open, for warranty purposes.....obviously whatever they fixed (or didn't fix...) wasn't done properly.

I'm in Florida, and even my Aries doesn't lose that much coolant
wink.gif
I'm still at the Max Line since I bought the car.....water just can't "evaporate" out of a closed system, unless there's a leak somewhere, be it a loose hose, leaky water pump, or bad thermostat....

May be easier just to go check out and change out these possible problem parts yourself anyways.....and say to [censored] with the dealer, ya it sucks since you do have a warranty and all, but they are making it unfair and not even honoring it...

Our 2008 Yaris that had the head cylinder gasket replaced under warranty does the same thing . Why ?
21.gif
. Did an U.O.A. for it and came back fine . Check it monthly . Plan to do another U.O.A. sometime in the fall .

This might be a case(there are few reasons to)for a UOA to see if coolant is geting into the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back