AWD Transfer Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got this Mountaineer last month with 110,000 miles on it. Last week I had the shop do a tranny filter and then complete fluid exchange as well as replace the transfer case fluid. The previous ATF looked good they said, but the transfer case fluid looked nasty. Now both are filled with Redline D4 ATF. I plan to leave the tranny alone for 50,000 or more miles and then have the same done again. But the transfer case, it seems to me, needs more attention. Given that the existing fluid was nasty, I suspect the Redline will do some cleaning and it may be wise after maybe 5000 miles to drain and refill it. What do you think?

Looking "nasty" is a very subjective term and really does not tell us the correct condition of the fluid. (now if it did not come out because it was "nasty/sludge" then there would be some concern IMO)

I'd say you are good to go. I'd leave it in for a long time or miles and get on with it.

Take care, Bill

Transfer case fluid always looks awful. The capacity of the T-case is very little. Check your owners manual for the maintenance schedule. I think on mine it is every 75,000Km.

The transfer cases on vehicles that have a shift lever (4H, 4L, N, 2H) probably take more fluid than the ones on an AWD vehicle. My older Suburban takes about 3 QTs.

Last edited:
You need to really run an OEM approved fluid in that transfer case. Those transfer cases are problematic (mainly viscous clutches) and approved fluid is a must.

Follow bdcardinal's advice.

As long as Red Line meets the required fluid specs, why not. For the small amount of fluid you will use, I don't see anything wrong with doing a "flush" at 5k.

The AWD cases are quite a bit different than a manual transfercase, while the tcase in my truck sees a lot more loading, being its in 2wd most of the time its really not under a whole lot of stress.

FWIW, I changed to RP Synchromax in my transfercase around 50k, and while the ATF+4 I drained looked clean; the RP found a lot of "dirt" and drained black after only a short time in use. I'm not saying use Synchromax, just that the Red Line will probably clean out a lot of stuff if the existing fluid is already dirty.

echo above... some T-cases are much more picky than others. Some are also much harder on the fluid than others. need to determine what time of awd mechanism you have before venturing away from oem lubes for these. some t-cases can run anything, others... no.

M

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Is ATF speced for you transfer case? I'm more used to see GL-5 gear oil, but that's on transverse engines.

This is how my AWD layout is; Front diff.atf fluid (works in conjunction with the trans, like a regular FWD) . transfer case; 75-90 gear oil; and rear diff is 75-90 gear oil as well.

My Mountaineer transfer case is separate from either axle. It specifies Mercon which spec Redline D4 meets. Book says 1.3 qt, but in actual practice I don't know as the shop changed it. Well maybe I'll do a blotter in a couple thousand miles and see what shows up.

I`ll tell you one thing Paul, This is not a good do it your self at home procedure. It`s definitely an "on the lift" scenario.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I`ll tell you one thing Paul, This is not a good do it your self at home procedure. It`s definitely an "on the lift" scenario.

It is just fine to do this on a set of jackstands. And Explorer/Mountaineer isn't hard to work on underneath.

I can do EVERYTHING under the Expedition (trans flush, transfer case, diffs....etc) with it sitting on the ground. Don't even need a jack or stands.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

It is just fine to do this on a set of jackstands. And Explorer/Mountaineer isn't hard to work on underneath.

I can do EVERYTHING under the Expedition (trans flush, transfer case, diffs....etc) with it sitting on the ground. Don't even need a jack or stands.

Yeah but on mine they put the transfer case fill plug at a really hard to get at place. Can I recruit you the next time I have to drain fill it?
48.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Yeah but on mine they put the transfer case fill plug at a really hard to get at place. Can I recruit you the next time I have to drain fill it?
48.gif

Yeah, but you don't have a Mountaineer like the OP does, LOL!

Filling can be a problem because of lack of room to tip a bottle of fluid. On my F150 manual tranny I run a 4-foot piece of clear platic tubing from the tranny fill (just jammed in to the hole an inch) up to under the hood where I can easily pour the fluid and watch it go into the tranny. The Explorer transfer case would be a bit more difficult. May do it myself, may have the shop do it if they don't charge too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back