dent in tire--anything to worry about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an imperfection on the sidewall of my 215/60/17 Kelly Touring Gold tire. I thought it was a bubble, but it's more like a small dent. Is such a thing anything to worry about? I bought these tires about two months ago; should I go back to the shop where I bought them?

It's a dent; it seems to be a manufacturing defect. It's not from any damage done to the tire. I have a picture, but I don't know how to post it.

Half the cars on the road have those wierd radial dents,my Uniroyals had'em too.It seems to be at the point where the ends meet on the polyester sidewall ply,or something.

Looks like a manufacturing quality issue. Probably not dangerous, unless it causes excessive vibrations, but I'm curious what CapriRacer has to say about this.

Originally Posted By: Billbert
That is where the belts join perfectly normal

+1

That's where the belts overlap.

Sidewall indentations = Normal
Sidewall bulges = Bad

Last edited:
Yes, that is a sidewall indentation!

No, it is not dangerous.

No, it is not the belt.

No, these aren't usually the source of vibrations.

If you look closely (or feel with your hand), you can find one for every ply on every passenger car tire (unless it is a bulge)

Yes, bulges are bad.

Thanks for all of your replies. I've seen similar things before, but I've never been sure about what to think about them. I know that bulges are a concern; wasn't sure about dents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back