TCW3 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to try some TCW3 in my 98 Civic, but I don't know if there is any particular brand I should go for, or are all TCW3's a good choice. Canadian Tire has about a half dozen different types on their website:

TCW3 at Canadian Tire

They are all basically the same. The only difference would be dino, blend, or synthetic. Personally, I would just get the cheapest 2T oil and call it done.

Umm is your engine 2 stroke? If it isn't I would not put that in your CIVIC 2 stroke oil will damage a four stroke engine.

Some people prefer the Marine TC-W3. I run the Pennzoil Marine synthetic blend TC-W3 only because I got it on closeout at Target a few months ago. I still have about 8 quarts in my stash.

Most important is it must be TC-W3 and ashless. When you look at the back of the container it will also specify that it is ashless. When it burns up in the combustion chamber it will not leave anything behind and burn clean.

Good luck. I've had great success with running my mix of TC-W3 in my fuel at every fill up. 3 ounces of TC-W3 to every 12 to 14 Gallons of gas. Just drop it in the fuel tank and fill away. Keeps the fuel pump and the entire fuel system to the combustion chamber lubed.

Last edited:
I've used TC-W3 in the prius for the last few months. Squeezed a few more mpg, the engine is much smoother when it's kicking on and off.

However, I have noticed that my oil is getting darker than usual before I change it. It's always been slightly darker than honey but this time around it's almost the color of burnt transmission fluid. Same oil, same driving, but with the TC-W3. Going to leave it out for the next 5k on this oil and see if it's lighter. Saved oil from this change to compare.

Yea you can use it but, I would not. Why would you want to put oil in the gas?? Is your engine that shot or burn so much oil you need that kind of lubrication in a four stroke engine? I hope you have a set of spark plugs on hand because your going to oil foul them in no time.

Originally Posted By: VR1
2 stroke oil will damage a four stroke engine.

At low doses it's a very effective UCL. My four stroke diesels often get a bit of it to help lubricate the fuel system as well.

Yea you can use it but, I would not.

You just said it will damage a four stroke engine, but you can use it?

Why would you want to put oil in the gas??

At low doses it's a very effective UCL. My four stroke diesels often get a bit of it to help lubricate the fuel system as well.

I hope you have a set of spark plugs on hand because your going to oil foul them in no time.

TC-3 & TC-W3 are ashless oils. How do oils that are designed to burn and not leave any residue behind 'oil foul' spark plugs?

Well the way the question was ask it seemed like he was talking about his engine oil. He never stated adding to fuel. He can use it but, I woudn't. TCW-3 can still foul plugs I have had it happen to my oil injected jet ski before and my weedeater and blower as well. Just like a resistor plug will resist fouling it still can be fouled. No different than a water resistant watch water can still get in eventually. I have noticed many people trying to reinvent the wheel and I don't understand why.

I'd get a marine TCW3, as clean burning as possible. I've had good success with synthetics...

I use TC-W3 in my fuel as a UCL. It's common knowledge that Ethanol in the fuel has caused many problems in fuel systems. Look at all the fuel pumps that have to be replaced on vehicles due to Ethanol in the gasoline. Ethanol attracts moisture and will dry out any seals and gaskets that are in your fuel system. By attracting water, Ethanol speeds up the corrosive effects of water in gasoline and fuel systems and robs your fuel system of any lubrication.

The added benefit of using TC-W3 in my fuel has been a slight increase in MPG during the year, with the exception of Winter. In the Winter the Oil companies all come out with winter blends that really hurt MPG ratings.

Not only does TC-W3 keep your fuel system lubed and help with fuel economy in some instances but it also helps to clean the upper cylinder when it burns off in the combustion chamber and burns off clean.

I have been using my mix of TC-W3 and Chevron Fuel System Cleaner of 3 ounces each at each fill up of 12 - 14 gallons of gasoline and all I can say is thanks to all who posted this marvel on BITOG.

The D series Civic engines absolutely do not need any 2 cycle oil to outlive the rest of the chassis. I'd be more worried about clogging the cat or fouling the O2 sensors than protecting it from a threat that doesn't exist.

That being said, TCW3 does burn relatively cleanly and at a 500:1 I doubt it would cause any issues.

Why not use a little bit of Acetone or if your really want to clean the thing decarbonize it with a small cup of water in the throttle body? Do it with the engine hot though! Steam clean it! Honestly though if you use a good gas like the Chevron you'll be fine. Both my vehicles have close to 100k and show no signs of any fuel problem whatsoever.

100K is just at the end of manufacturer warranty. Try 200-500K miles and see how good your gas really is. Chevron also makes and sells fuel additive.

Well my 98 Jeep 4.0L has 250k on it and runs fine I have only decarbonized it once at 180k just for [censored] and grins it really wasn't that bad a very little bit a carbon came out the pipe and the tailpipe was soot free. I always ran good gas though like Chevron,Texaco etc.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
The D series Civic engines absolutely do not need any 2 cycle oil to outlive the rest of the chassis. I'd be more worried about clogging the cat or fouling the O2 sensors than protecting it from a threat that doesn't exist.

That being said, TCW3 does burn relatively cleanly and at a 500:1 I doubt it would cause any issues.

I'd say this is thd case for most any engine... But I also feel that it ensures component longevity of certain parts and optimized operation.

Yea you can use it but, I would not. Why would you want to put oil in the gas?? Is your engine that shot or burn so much oil you need that kind of lubrication in a four stroke engine? I hope you have a set of spark plugs on hand because your going to oil foul them in no time.

Not familiar with it are You? I suggest some reading first. People have been adding it for years and it isn't much different than Lucas UCL or any other of that fun stuff

Originally Posted By: toyotapriusguy

Not familiar with it are You? I suggest some reading first. People have been adding it for years and it isn't much different than Lucas UCL or any other of that fun stuff

+1 I'd be changing plugs once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back