Oil recommendations for Toro 2 cycle snowblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I run more oil during the first tank? I havent broken in a 2 stroke in awhile, my leaf blower I always ran regular mix- no extra oil.

It wouldn't hurt to run around 32:1 for the first tank. Not that it's required. Just don't run a mix that's thin on oil. I keep a container mixed between 35 to 40:1 conventional oil and run everything from 25:1 to 50:1 on that. Never had any issues with anything using it. The engine will always benefit from a bit more oil than not enough.

I'm always concerned that there isnt enough oil in my 1 gallon container. Those little single use bottles seem awful small for a gallon of gas. So I pour the oil in the 1 gallon container then add some gas to the empty oil bottle and swish it around and pour it into the gas container- just to make sure all the oil is used.

Fedex delivered the Toro 221QE today. That was fast shipping! I really like this snowblower. It came with a bottle of the Toro "Cold weather" oil, but the cap somehow popped off. Fortunately it was in its own little bag with the key and chute bolts, so no damage was done to the manuals (Thankfully). I poured in a few ounces of my Stihl Ultra HP gas/oil premix and it fired right up. I let it run in for about 15 minutes until the fuel was gone. I like this engine. It came with the Briggs and Stratton book for service and specs. etc. So that should come in handy.

Of course I took apart the shroud to check out the engine and internals. Simple machine right here. Not like a 2 stage. Hopefully it will prove reliable. I think it will.

On a side note I emailed Snowblowersdirect and told them about the oil bottle. They are sending me a larger 5.2oz bottle for free. Good customer service!

Now, only 6 months to go...lol

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut

Now, only 6 months to go...lol

That's 6 months I will gladly wait for. I am in no hurry to blow snow.

Me either actually. But I sure want to know how it performs. I guess I can always take it to the local ice rink and try it on the snow piles that the Zamboni dumps behind the building! lol

For those of you with the Toro 221, what kind of run times are you seeing on a full tank of gas? I am curious what run times to expect when I finally get to use mine.

For those of you with the Toro 221, what kind of run times are you seeing on a full tank of gas? I am curious what run times to expect when I finally get to use mine.

It's not that simple to measure. Snow conditions will have a major impact on run time. Heavy wet snow vs. light dry snow will vary immensely. On average snow, my machine will run probably for close to an hour. Can't say for sure because I never really timed it.

OK so let's assume 8 to 10 inches of medium moisture content snow. If I can get close to an hour I will be happy. I didn't know what to expect considering it is a 1.1 quart fuel capacity 2 cycle. I know they use more fuel than a comparable 4 stroke but close to an hour is fine by me.

OK so let's assume 8 to 10 inches of medium moisture content snow. If I can get close to an hour I will be happy. I didn't know what to expect considering it is a 1.1 quart fuel capacity 2 cycle. I know they use more fuel than a comparable 4 stroke but close to an hour is fine by me.

By the time you've done enough work to burn a tank full of fuel, you'll probably look forward to a bit of a break. Those Toros are great machines. Light, powerful and reliable. But if you're working on a fairly steep grade (10% on 110' driveway) you'll be working to hold it back. I plan to put some kind of throttle control on mine to slow the rpms when working downward on the grade and apply normal engine speed (4100 rpm) to come back up the hill. That will help extend run time too.

I have a level driveway probably 60 or so feet long by 20 feet wide and tapers smaller as you exit to the road. And then a deck that I dreaded having to shovel because the 2 stage I just sold didn't fit through the gate. The deck is probably 20 long by 16 deep. If I can get all that done without stopping for fuel I will be a happy camper. The 2 stage held about a gallon of fuel and I will miss that some- but not much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back