Gas is gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I buy 7-11 or RaceTrac gas and just dump an entire bottle of Redline once every year (bought 24 bottles on clearance).

That will work. Redline is good stuff. However, conventional wisdom says it is better to prevent the deposits than to let then accumulate and clean later...you'll never get rid of all the deposits.

i buy whatever is cheapest and try to use independents more recently. I also combine fuelling with errands as it's usually cheapest in one part of town I don't get to often, maybe 1 or 2 times per month.

Originally Posted By: Unearthed
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2011/...iewmode=default

That's the end all for me. The same gas is sold at Mobil, 7-11, and Stop and Shop Supermarkets? There goes any worry about what brand station I'm pulling into!

Top tier gas...what a joke.

The only joke here is the lack of education on your part.

If you wish to be educated, continue to read. If you wish to continue to believe "gas is gas" stop reading HERE.

Refineries refine and distribute fuel. All of the gas in CT that was bad came from the SAME REFINERY.

Once fuel (from the refinery) is put into a tanker truck, the individual brands additives are added. So, in Connecticut, there was bad fuel from the refinery. So yes, different gas stations can be affected.

Shell, BP, Sunoco, Exxon, Citgo, ect. . . . all use different and proprietary additives.

It is against FEDERAL law to sell fuel under one name and it not be that fuel. I PERSONALLY know of some one who LOST a Sunoco station for doing that.

So, continue to blindly think one thing. Ignorance is bliss I guess!

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Originally Posted By: Unearthed
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2011/...iewmode=default

That's the end all for me. The same gas is sold at Mobil, 7-11, and Stop and Shop Supermarkets? There goes any worry about what brand station I'm pulling into!

Top tier gas...what a joke.

The only joke here is the lack of education on your part.

If you wish to be educated, continue to read. If you wish to continue to believe "gas is gas" stop reading HERE.

Refineries refine and distribute fuel. All of the gas in CT that was bad came from the SAME REFINERY.

Once fuel (from the refinery) is put into a tanker truck, the individual brands additives are added. So, in Connecticut, there was bad fuel from the refinery. So yes, different gas stations can be affected.

Shell, BP, Sunoco, Exxon, Citgo, ect. . . . all use different and proprietary additives.

It is against FEDERAL law to sell fuel under one name and it not be that fuel. I PERSONALLY know of some one who LOST a Sunoco station for doing that.

So, continue to blindly think one thing. Ignorance is bliss I guess!

Amoco, which I believe no longer exists use to produce a premium fuel call Amoco Ultimate that was refined to the point the gas was clear as water... LIterally... All the forocarbons were taken out so it was the cleanest burning fuel ever. It DID NOT come from the same batch of gas all the others used because of it's additives and the way it was refined. I guess they stopped doing this because it was no longer profitable... Maybe people are using less higher octane these days, who knows. Could be serveral other reasons for this though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mark72
Amoco, which I believe no longer exists use to produce a premium fuel call Amoco Ultimate that was refined to the point the gas was clear as water... LIterally... All the forocarbons were taken out so it was the cleanest burning fuel ever. It DID NOT come from the same batch of gas all the others used because of it's additives and the way it was refined. I guess they stopped doing this because it was no longer profitable... Maybe people are using less higher octane these days, who knows. Could be serveral other reasons for this though.

BP bought Amoco. Not sure what happened to the fuels. I know some BP stations used to have Amoco's logo front-and-center, claiming the fuel was by Amoco. I don't know if that means they were actually using the old fuels, or if the fuel was simply derived from the old ones.

Amoco, which I believe no longer exists use to produce a premium fuel call Amoco Ultimate that was refined to the point the gas was clear as water

I had to siphon out my wife's gas tank recently prior to dropping the tank to replace the fuel pump. I used clear tubing, and was surprised to see that the gasoline was perfectly clear. This was Casey's convenience store mid-grade E10 gas, nothing special. Maybe all gas is refined now to be clear?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

BP bought Amoco. Not sure what happened to the fuels. I know some BP stations used to have Amoco's logo front-and-center, claiming the fuel was by Amoco. I don't know if that means they were actually using the old fuels, or if the fuel was simply derived from the old ones.

+1

I think some of the older BP pumps still have Amoco decals on them next the the BP logo. I guess to give the consumer a familiar logo.

In fact, now thinking about it, the local BP stations 93 octane buttons have a Amoco Ultimate logo next to it. That fuel is not clear now tho. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back