BP is not Top Tier! Were they before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked and it's not on the list. I swear I saw it before. Or am I mistaken and they never made to the Top Tier?

This sucks, as I ran almost exclusively BP since beginning of this years when my local Chevron stations went to up to 10% ethanol, and BP is consistently cheaper (cheapest major brand) and with lots of promotions (including 5% back on their credit card).

But, no wonder 2 of my 3 cars have plenty of carbon on pistons (I didn't check the third one but it's new).

They have too much to hide...one need not look any further than their oil PDS sheets to know this

mongo161 is correct, BP has never been Top Tier. They are not Top Tier because they did not apply for it. Whether or not they are on par with the other Top Tier manufacturers is the real question. BP states that their gasoline performs better than the standards of Top Tier, but without a 3rd party to prove that you would have to take their word for it.

I have a BP gas card for the same reasons you do, 5% cash back and it being as cheap as the other major brands. I have not noticed increased valve deposits or any issues with it.

Have any of you who keep your cars as long as I do ever noticed deposits or the need for a fuel system cleaning from using non-branded gasoline?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Would someone please explain who "decides" what is Top Tier? Who even owned that website?

Top Tier is a standard that car makers have set. Volkswagen, BMW, GM, and a few others set the standards.

BP, while not a Top Tier fuel, does put out a good product that is said to be as good as the Top Tier standard. There "invigorate" fuel additive is what they are pushing just like Shell with Vpower and Chevron with Techron.

I have used BP in other cars and I always get good MPG and clean performance.

I use nothing but Shell now since VW says to use Top Tier.

I use to love Castrol especially the GTX for the money it was one of the best but, BP has really hurt Castrol I feel. That is not to say that GTX still isn't any good but,it bothers me that they have became so hush hush about what they have and don't. I have to say it makes you wonder maybe it isn't what it once was and they don't want you to know that. What really turned me on to Valvoline is that they are pretty much open about everything except some small things thats understandable. If you ask Castrol how much Calcium or ZDDP they will tell you that they can't disclose information which to me is crazy. My great great grandfather liked Exxon,Mobil and Valvoline which was his favorite of all just thinking about that made me switch over.

When Top Tier came into being BP promoted the Amoco "Ultimate" in such a way that it lead people to believe it would clean the engine more than lower grades. I think the decision not to go Top Tier was a marketing decision as they didnt want to hurt sales of the higher margin "Ultimate".

Originally Posted By: dparm
Would someone please explain who "decides" what is Top Tier? Who even owned that website?
Nothing but a marketing ploy IMO!! For awhile Exxon and Mobil gas stations were not on the list and that's all I used to use (with no problems). I use a PEA based cleaning agent every 5k oci and never had problems using the cheapest gas I can find in my area (Jet-Pep) lol. They buy from the spot market so it's no telling what I'm actually running. I honestly don't care because their premium is 20 cents cheaper than the "big 3"

Like small things: pour point. I feel they Valvoline put anything down not caring what it really is. There is a thread that goes on about Noack in 5-30 Valvoline depends on what browser you are using. Each time you get another number. Try Durablend one listing shows no sodium another with sodium. The pour point in the dino is the same as the syn #. They remain somewhat in the circus with red noses.
49.gif
good but,it bothers me that they have became so hush hush about what they have and don't. I have to say it makes you wonder maybe it isn't what it once was and they don't want you to know that. What really turned me on to Valvoline is that they are pretty much open about everything except some small things thats understandable. If you ask Castrol how much Calcium or ZDDP they will tell you that they can't disclose information which to me is crazy. My great great grandfather liked Exxon,Mobil and Valvoline which was his favorite of all just thinking about that made me switch over. [/quote]

The only top tier gasoline that I like is Chevron/Texaco. Unfortunately I can't get it in my market since there are no stations.

However, I add 3 ounces of Chevron Techron, Fuel System Cleaner, (not the injector cleaner) and 3 ounces of TC-W3 to each fill up of 12 to 14 gallons of gasoline and I don't need any "Top Tier" gasoline.

Just the plain Jane, mom and pop gasoline with my mix and my T4R runs great with no build up on the UC with ethanol gasoline.

Last edited:
ottotheclown I find it hard to imagine Valvoline would do something like that. I feel other oil company's are still trying to catch up to Valvoline. Look at like this. They were the first to introduce the synthetic blend around the mid 90s. The first to introduce a high mileage oil in 2000. The first to push for recycled oil that hasn't just been acid clay treated and called good. I would hate on the big V to if they were always a step ahead of me. I checked Castrol's site and they now have a 10qt value pack biodegradible for GTX and GTX high mileage that to me is just halirous. Hate on Valvoline please because that leaves more for me to use. Help Arnold Palmer and Burt Reynolds out lol.

Valvoline did have it wrong but, has now been corrected to 14.4 on Nexgen and 15 for the white bottle. At least Valvoline gives you information while others usually don't and won't. Try emailing Mark Ferner that turd eater with the coke bottle glasses that works for Shell/Pennzoil/Quick Mistake and see what he says. Thom Smith and Fran Lockwood seem to know just a tad more.

Originally Posted By: VR1
Valvoline did have it wrong but, has now been corrected to 14.4 on Nexgen and 15 for the white bottle. At least Valvoline gives you information while others usually don't and won't. Try emailing Mark Ferner that turd eater with the coke bottle glasses that works for Shell/Pennzoil/Quick Mistake and see what he says. Thom Smith and Fran Lockwood seem to know just a tad more.

You have a PM. Respond there.

Others let's keep this on topic.

Bill

BP feels they are as good as Top Tier.

TT is no more a marketing ploy than API or ACEA.

Ford reccommends BP. I either use it, or TT.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
BP feels they are as good as Top Tier.

TT is no more a marketing ploy than API or ACEA.

Ford reccommends BP. I either use it, or TT.

If so, why don't they join TT?

Interesting info on Ford. Did BP pay them to say that?

The more I think about, I just started adding TWC3 to BP gas (2 tanks so far). After a couple of tanks more, I will pull plugs on that mixture and check if deposits are less.

According to this test, they're right up there with the top tier stations in detergents. Since they don't participate in the top tier program, I wonder if BP stations in other states are that close to the neighboring top tier stations in detergents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back