Possible Fram Oil Filter Check Valve Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys:

After a recent oil/filter change I noticed valve train noise during cold start up. I never had this problem before and wondered if I had a lifter leakage problem. First step I did was to change the oil filter (Fram Extended Guard) for a Mobil extended protection filter.

Apparently. the problem has gone away. I say apparently because it has only been a couple of days and 2-3 cold starts.

I have used Fram filters a lot (buy at WalMart with oil purchase) and never experienced the problem before.

Maybe just a random check valve failure, but I have used my last Fram.

JR

This is a common practice with companies lately, they build up a long history of quality products like 50+ years, become a household name, then they start to produce sub par products while using there name and history to sell them for larger profits, basically what Fram did.

And don't use Fram.. they use cardboard as the end caps on their filters...

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIHR on this forum. There are a lot of Fan's of FRAM EXTENDED GUARD filters. These are the "Premium" filters, without the cardboard end-caps. It seems that some BITOG posters really like these filters with the synthetic media and silicone ADBV.

I've read that people use these Fram Extended Guard filters, not the OCOD, for 10K + OCI's. So maybe you got a dud or else your engine does not like these premium Fram filters. YMMV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
This is a common practice with companies lately, they build up a long history of quality products like 50+ years, become a household name, then they start to produce sub par products while using there name and history to sell them for larger profits, basically what Fram did.

I agree with your general point totally. I think many are like that including Purolator 1's. The last few I have cut open are so flimsy. I would go with Puro Classic any day. I would also not bash Xtended Guards, they are very well made.

I've had this happen with any brand filter; less so with wix and non-ecore delco. Card board end caps are not an issue. The strength is in the core tube, Many Japan Denso have no end caps. I will be running Motorcraft 920S on the Ford and Tokyo-Roki on the Subaru - luckily 2 excellent choices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brenden

what is the filter element made from? The FRAM orange can oil filters have been always made the same

Quote:
I agree with your general point totally. I think many are like that including Purolator 1's. The last few I have cut open are so flimsy.
Used many P1's, also cut open and posted, hadn't noticed any drop in quality (referring to canister not cartridge).
21.gif
XG's are well made, but as with all mass production exceptions can occur, including adbv.

Throwing the baby out with the bath water doesn't have to be the solution.

Unless things have changed, there is one thing to remember about Motorcraft oil filters (maybe others as well).

They used to go up for bids every 6 months, and the low bidder made Motorcraft filters for the next 6 months. So unless you keep up with it, you don't know who's filter you're actually buying.

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
Unless things have changed, there is one thing to remember about Motorcraft oil filters (maybe others as well).

They used to go up for bids every 6 months, and the low bidder made Motorcraft filters for the next 6 months. So unless you keep up with it, you don't know who's filter you're actually buying.

I've heard that about the Mopar filters, but never the Motorcraft ones. As far back as I can remember, they have always been Purolator.

Have had similar experience with few (5) Wix filters on 3 different vehicles over the years. Figured anti drainback valve failures. Valve train noise/chatter during cold starts, every time, which resolved after swaping out filter. So, that was a waste of 5 filters. I guess I didnn't save any $ ordering these form fleetfilter
frown.gif
Need to find new favorite filter brand I can buy bulk. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back