01 Civic coolant recovery overflowing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coolant recovery tank on daughters 01 Civic keeps filling up/overflowing and radiator level seems to lower.

Took it to an independent mech who specializes in Hondas a couple months ago. I told him I had read (Honda/Civic sites) much about a probable head gasket leak. However, the temp gauge never went above half way, there's no oily film in the coolant, nor is there a milky film in the oil. He looked it over, replaced the radiator cap, said he saw no head gasket issues, to keep an eye on it and bring it back if issue continues. I brough it home, changed the oil and filter and drained the coolant and refilled with new to between min and max in coolant tank. I had replaced tstat w/Honda OEM last year some time.

Forward to today ~3k later, coolant recovery almost filled to fill cap. No sign of oil in coolant or milky looking oil, temp gauge only goes to half. No signs of overheating, and no external engine signs of head gasket leak.

Need to get this issue fixed right this time, no time for UOA. Any thoughts on cause and/or what diagnostics I should mention being done this time? Read that cylinder leakdown should be done but that it too can be misleading.

TIA.

Is it bubbly? As in air bubbles. You might have a leaky head gasket that is blowing air into the cooling system. Just because there's no oil doesn't mean there's no problem. A lot of head gasket problems are only able to be 100% confirmed by tearing the engine down at which point you might as well replace it regardless.

No bubbles. But, one thing I forgot to mention is that my daughter first mentioned (months ago) that her heat was blowing cold rather than hot, especially when the car was not moving. Also mentioned that to mech but he couldn't duplicate.

Tried heat today and it seems to blow hot. Top radiator hose though seemed not to be pressurized even with tstat open.

Did you try to replace the two hoses, 1 from radiator to overflow tank and 1 from the overflow tank cap into the tank ? Either one may be clogged such that coolant can go from radiator into overflow tank under high pressure but could not go back into radiator when coolant temperature cools down.

If it's not the cap or a rough seal on the neck of the radiator the only other possibility is exhaust pushing coolant out either by a blown HG, warped head or a cracked head.

-There's only one hose that runs from the radiator cap to the bottom of the recovery tank (non pressurized tank). When I drained the coolant last time, I inspected it and looked fine, didn't replace though.

-As for radiator cap, it's been replaced once a few month ago, doubtful the second one is bad already.

-As for when it does it, difficult to say exactly, just once the tank fills, it doesn't seem to drain back into the rad. But, I suppose after it has been driven a while.

-As for head gasket, based on reading several vehicle specific forums, it's what I first thought. The thing is, it's never overheated to my knowledge, and with the exception of the recovery tank filling, it shows no signs overheating now. That's why the mechanic didn't want to tear into the engine and replace the head gasket last time.

My '01 did the same thing. Overflowed the tank, but never ran hot. Other then the tank overflowing, it never showed any negative driving signs.

Has a compression leak detector been used?

Like this;

https://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=BK_7001006_0282477652&An=0

I've got one of these that'd I'd lend to you if you don't want to buy one, for just shipping charges.

Another quick test, fill radiator all the way to the top, get vehicle up to temp, and look for bubbles. You have to rev it a little, so it can get messy.

Mine failed both, so I replaced the head and head gasket. Mine had 220k miles on it at the time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MarkM66
My '01 did the same thing. Overflowed the tank, but never ran hot. Other then the tank overflowing, it never showed any negative driving signs. Has a compression leak detector been used?

Like this;

https://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=BK_7001006_0282477652&An=0

I've got one of these that'd I'd lend to you if you don't want to buy one, for just shipping charges.

Another quick test, fill radiator all the way to the top, get vehicle up to temp, and look for bubbles. You have to rev it a little, so it can get messy.

Mine failed both, so I replaced the head and head gasket. Mine had 220k miles on it at the time.

Ahh, that sure sounds like the same signs/symptoms, and thus perhaps the same problem. To my knowledge, compression leak detection has not been done. I really appreciate the offer for the kit, going to try and contact two mechs this weekend, but it may have to wait until Monday. I'll let you know. You have now though given me a logical place to start next with diagnostics, and what to ask the mechs.

Car has ~155k. Your story sounds very much similar to what I have read on Honda/Civic forums.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

-As for radiator cap, it's been replaced once a few month ago, doubtful the second one is bad already.

The little jiggle valve on the bottom of the cap fall off al the time.........Even on new ones. Check yours.

I know someone that had very similar symptoms, but on an '03 EX. Wound up being the headgasket, FWIW.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
My '01 did the same thing. Overflowed the tank, but never ran hot. Other then the tank overflowing, it never showed any negative driving signs.

Has a compression leak detector been used?

Like this;

If it is exhaust pushing the coolant out this test will show it. It's one of the best tests for head gaskets. There are several kits out there, lisle, uview, balkamp, etc that you can pick up for 30-40 bucks. Easy to use, even some videos on youtube for them. Tooltopia has pretty good deals on them, it's nice to have one around so if you think you have a HG problem you just test it quick.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Head gasket or bad head.
Of course there is no oil in the coolant - the pressure is the other way.

The other way?

Cylinder pressure is higher then cooling system pressure.

I am having the same problem on my 2003 Civic EX with only 94000 miles. It actually overheated a few times already. So far I have replaced radiator cap, thermostate. Just last week I installed some BARS Leak HeadGasket Fix. It seems to work for a day or 2. However, when I checked this morning it's losing coolant again.

Originally Posted By: jsw
I am having the same problem on my 2003 Civic EX with only 94000 miles. It actually overheated a few times already. So far I have replaced radiator cap, thermostate. Just last week I installed some BARS Leak HeadGasket Fix. It seems to work for a day or 2. However, when I checked this morning it's losing coolant again.

Those chemicals won't work with leaking compression. Pressure is to high.

Spent part of yesterday looking for a combustion leak detector, no one nearby had one in stock. It looks like it would take several days.

That being the case, I'll likely try to find a shop to combine the detection (this time) with the head gasket repair if needed, as that repair is above my skill set and tool set. lol Have to wait until tomorrow to work on it though.

Greatly appreciate all the responses, and I will update when I know more about the issue and repair. Hopefully no more than a bad hg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back